The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

OPINIONS ON MY FITNESS EBOOK?

Would you be interested in the book?

• Total voters

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
To be frank, not really.

It looks like all the others out there. And judging from the table of contents, it's just shorter, which screams "less information" meaning "it still won't help me".

Even if the information was quality and 100% correct, and by following your advice I could achieve the look... it still didn't really catch my eye.

I wouldn't pay for it. I don't think I'd give my e-mail address for it.

You're coming into a crowded marketplace with a product that looks less than stellar. I'd rethink it.

• Banned

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
To be frank, not really.

It looks like all the others out there. And judging from the table of contents, it's just shorter, which screams "less information" meaning "it still won't help me".

Even if the information was quality and 100% correct, and by following your advice I could achieve the look... it still didn't really catch my eye.

I wouldn't pay for it. I don't think I'd give my e-mail address for it.

You're coming into a crowded marketplace with a product that looks less than stellar. I'd rethink it.
So would you prefer a book that goes more in depth about how it works, instead of a book that is basically more of a course?

• Banned

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
Browsing amazon, there is no book on losing belly fat with flexible dieting on the first few pages.

Im having a tough time trying to create something more than unique

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
If your going to change your book completely, just put this one on amazon and start making your other. Then you'll have different books in the fitness industry with different goals to each book.

• Banned

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
If your going to change your book completely, just put this one on amazon and start making your other. Then you'll have different books in the fitness industry with different goals to each book.

To be honest i feel like giving up at this moment

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
At least publish and market it. Your new to this forum and your going to give up already? Have you even been here two weeks? Everyone feels like giving up sometimes but there are other things to do. If you give up now, you will most likely live average the rest of your life. Average money, average cars, average house, average things, average everything. When I think about those things, it scares the hell out of me and keeps me moving forward.

In the last 2 days, I've made $230 barely doing anything. I flipped two items. That money is nothing to a lot of people on here, but it's something to me. Flipping one item per day for $80-150 profit validated in my mind there are so many better ways to make money then working an 8 hour shift at an average job. I'm 19 years old, by the time most people graduate from college that was in my grade (4 years from now) I will have a successful business going. I am using most of the cash I make to fund my business, as I need a lot for start up. I've also got my real estate agent license. There's more then being average. Do not give up, I sure as hell won't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
just wondering what you guys think, any feedback would be appreciated

It's quite obvious you're attempting to "do what you love" which doesn't work for most people....especially if you are trying to make it Fastlane. Don't give up. Brainstorm....how do I make a different fitness ebook that really shocks/gets the attention of my target market.

Look at Pauline Nordin's company fighterdiet.com. Great example.

• Banned

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
It's quite obvious you're attempting to "do what you love" which doesn't work for most people....especially if you are trying to make it Fastlane. Don't give up. Brainstorm....how do I make a different fitness ebook that really shocks/gets the attention of my target market.

Look at Pauline Nordin's company fighterdiet.com. Great example.

By a different angle what do you mean? Does that mean I should create my own type of workout/diet and not give general tips on what works?

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
I thought products were based on keyword searches. So you have a product that matches what the demand is

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
I thought products were based on keyword searches. So you have a product that matches what the demand is
The more keyword search results, the more competition you most likely have. It's usually better to go into a certain niche then a broad niche, as you have a much better chance at ranking at the top of the searches for those specific keywords.

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
The more keyword search results, the more competition you most likely have. It's usually better to go into a certain niche then a broad niche, as you have a much better chance at ranking at the top of the searches for those specific keywords.
Shit, I got the method all wrong

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
If I was you, I'd take your pics off the cover, publish the book under a pen name onto amazon for free, list it for $2.99 and move on. Either find something else or make the book you really want to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
Start the book with the Secret. People want to know the secret, not the structure of your book. The first three or four paragraphs should be an explanation of the secret they're paying for and WHY it works. Make them crave for more. Get into action ASAP, don't ask rethorical questions.

And you should also explain why "Training" and "Cardio" are two different topics. I know what you are doing (weight training, building muscles, burning more calories during the day etc. vs cardio), but the average people have no clue and think that the more they run the more weight they'll lose (and they won't even discern between fat and muscle weight).

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Start the book with the Secret. People want to know the secret, not the structure of your book. The first three or four paragraphs should be an explanation of the secret they're paying for and WHY it works. Make them crave for more. Get into action ASAP, don't ask rethorical questions.

And you should also explain why "Training" and "Cardio" are two different topics. I know what you are doing (weight training, building muscles, burning more calories during the day etc. vs cardio), but the average people have no clue and think that the more they run the more weight they'll lose (and they won't even discern between fat and muscle weight).

I agree with this guy.

Also what caught my attention was: boringness! Be creative man. If you are selling it in a PDF format, think... you can put anything into that damn PDF that you so desire. Make it an ebook that has never been made before.

I mean man... I google, fitness ebook, and I see 32,000,000 results. 32 million. I could browse the titles one by one for an entire lifetime and never come across yours. You gotta do something different. Think big. Restructure the entire format of an ebook. Include things that have never been offered before. Give them a 30 minute Skype sesh if they buy it. Connect with the customer. More than just "this is what I did, so this is what you should do." Heard it a million times in the fitness industry. Everyone wants to make a product in this space and leave it there to collect their passive income. They don't give a damn about the consumer - oh but it looks like they do because they are helping everyone lose weight. My a$$. They are doing it for a profit by regurgitating the same old BS either about broscience, what worked for them, or what they read on the net.

Here's my take: connect with your customers like I said above. Maybe instead of a Skype, offer a conference call monthly or weekly that only people who buy your ebook can tune into. Then you continue to free your time up and it remains fastlane.

Why not make it a story about two friends who grew up in Iceland and one lifted, one didn't, and the one that lifted ended up winning the nations strongman competition. Or something crazy like that? Think outside the box.

The only question that you need to answer is: why make it a factbook of regurgitated information that is about what you did, when maybe, I don't want to look as "jacked" as you, or maybe I want to look a little different, maybe im a girl. Why the same old paragraphs on paragraphs when you can do ANYTHING with your PDF?

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
I agree with this guy.

And I agree with you. Beer on me!

I would like to offer the OP two great books that might give him an idea. They're niche books.
The first is "The Fighter's Body" (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1880336812/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20). It is amazing, and it has much more useful info than what you can find anywhere else. It's all that a person needs to be honest. Why it works? Because it's freaking direct. It goes straight to the point, and the few times the authors decide to branch the topic, they do so inside a specific box. Yet, they tell you all the secrets, from what to eat to the use of Creatine. It's a no BS approach.

The second is more interesting. It's a series of books about... kicking techniques. Each book covers a different kick. And it covers each kick BIG time, with precision, pictures, science. Everything! Imagine building a small literary empire based on ... kicks. http://www.amazon.com/Back-Kick-Achieving-Kicking-Excellence/dp/0975949101/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1409690493&sr=8-2&keywords=Kovacich kick Check their methods.

Oh and don't tell me I will "lose belly fat". That's the title for an article on Women's/Men's Health. Tell me I am going to be freaking awesome.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
If you are marketing a book that explains IFFYM which I assume you are judging by the "flexible" selling aspect, why not sell it as, lose weight without exercising and eating whatever you want?

decaobr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 25, 2013
Here's an idea, if you look anything like your picture, instead of writing a book, take that content and transform it in a Udemy course. A couple of days ago i was browsing Udemy, and a noticed that there's some courses about getting fit there, but most of the "teachers" ( if not all ), are not really fit in fact they dont even show themselves, on the "Description Video". So if you go there and show yourself, you have a pretty good chance to get same sells.

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
To be honest i feel like giving up at this moment

Keep pushing, man! Get used to this feeling but don't surrender to it. It's a profound part of the process. My past few weeks have been mired by this feeling; I constantly have to remind myself of the alternative: a lifetime of corporate subordination.

At least publish and market it. Your new to this forum and your going to give up already? Have you even been here two weeks? Everyone feels like giving up sometimes but there are other things to do. If you give up now, you will most likely live average the rest of your life. Average money, average cars, average house, average things, average everything. When I think about those things, it scares the hell out of me and keeps me moving forward.
In the last 2 days, I've made $230 barely doing anything. I flipped two items. That money is nothing to a lot of people on here, but it's something to me. Flipping one item per day for $80-150 profit validated in my mind there are so many better ways to make money then working an 8 hour shift at an average job. I'm 19 years old, by the time most people graduate from college that was in my grade (4 years from now) I will have a successful business going. I am using most of the cash I make to fund my business, as I need a lot for start up. I've also got my real estate agent license. There's more then being average. Do not give up, I sure as hell won't.

Awesome attitude. You're one wise 19-year-old!:D

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Is it really better to go with a narrow niche than a broad niche? I disagree. Even tho bodybuilding/lose fat is very broad, there is a LOT of money to be made in it. Look at the different markets. You need to speak to a specific customer (different than operating in a narrow niche)

Many people feel the need to lose fat. The 30-something mom who kept some of her preggo weight; the young teenager/20-something who is sick of being fat; the 40-year old professional who doesn't have much time in their day to cook meals and do 2-hour gym sessions... there's a TON of people out there who aren't being spoken to specifically enough, but you have to look for them.

ChasingPaper

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 7, 2014
Is it really better to go with a narrow niche than a broad niche? I disagree. Even tho bodybuilding/lose fat is very broad, there is a LOT of money to be made in it. Look at the different markets. You need to speak to a specific customer (different than operating in a narrow niche)

Many people feel the need to lose fat. The 30-something mom who kept some of her preggo weight; the young teenager/20-something who is sick of being fat; the 40-year old professional who doesn't have much time in their day to cook meals and do 2-hour gym sessions... there's a TON of people out there who aren't being spoken to specifically enough, but you have to look for them.
If you can dominate the niche, and get in one of the tops spots then hell yeah it's better to go broad. Chances are though, that you will be drowned by the competition. I'm just stating facts. Especially if your a new author, narrow niches will probably get him more sales.

SteveCR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 23, 2013
just wondering what you guys think, any feedback would be appreciated

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2011/11/02/the-truth-about-abs-mike-geary/

Read that article. Read it daily. I'm in the process of writing my fitness course as well. It's a passion of mine, and I have zero doubts about it succeeding. It's been more of a challenge than I thought - to write a book. To take all of my knowledge and condense it into a book that's easy to understand, without overwhelming people.

Don't listen to people that say there's tons of fitness books and competition. Of course there are, because this niche is one of the 3 main evergreen niches - health, wealth and relationships. That article above provides some great insight into what can be done. Keep at it, and do not let yourself fail.

You will succeed - provided you have 3 things. You have to have a great product, you have to have great advertising, and you have to have drive. You are a walking billboard, use that to your advantage. I haven't read your product, but IIFYM/flexible dieting is exactly what people need to hear. It's what they want (and it's also part of the basis behind my fitness course, as well), and it absolutely works.

SteveCR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Nov 23, 2013
Let me clarify something. You must create a niche. "Lose weight" or "lose belly fat" is way too broad of a niche, without a lot of advertising capital behind you to spend on media buys. You must strictly define your target market.

Look at facebook advertising. You will quickly go broke if you tried to show your ads to anybody 18+. What is exactly your target demographic? Who specifically do you want to pay to show your ads to? Who would most likely click on your ad for more information?

If you don't know the answers to these questions, then you're not ready to release your book. Your book, your website, your advertising, etc., should reflect this. Unless you have the money to pay for your ads to the masses (think of companies like Beach Body do with products such as Insanity and P90X), then you will have to go very targeted with your niche.

I can't stress this enough - you absolutely must define your target market. Who most needs your product? "People that want to lose belly fat" is not the answer.

Crawsfitz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 2, 2014
Austin, TX
I don't want to repeat any of the solid advice from above, but I am have a lot of industry experience and connections through CrossFit, I'm not going to debate the health or safety of CF this isn't the place.

You eBook to me seems well intentioned, but you are targeting basically every one with belly fat. I think this is too big of a market to get traction.

I think you need to further diagnose the issue, people have excess body fat because they eat too much sugar and don't exercise and they know this already. In fact they know it so much they are probably using food to take their mind off the circle they are in.

Try targeting a certain type of person, like "Cubicle Fit, how to spend 40hours in front of a computer and get the body of your dream."

If you were providing something targeted to a specific group, I would be more likely to pick it up, i.e. how can I prepare vegetables at home on Sunday that will keep me making smart choices throughout the week? How can I better address the time to work out, plan and make better decisions? You do this consistently but others don't know there's only 9grams of carbs in 20cups of spinach, they've been living a lie for years, you have to meet them half way :)

Good luck though, a couple of posts back you sounded defeated pick up the bar again and keep going its not going to get easier if you give up.

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Should i edit the book and tailor it to a more specific niche or start from scratch?

No. You should:
1) Define your objective (write a two paragraph business statement)
2) Based on 1) select your target (it can be as vast as people 30+ w/ office jobs, or as tiny as 31-35yo/married/$100K worth).

Then you tailor the book as for 1) and 2).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.