The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Rep System, Some Other Things...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
As you can see, some more changes have been ongoing...

#1) SPEED SYSTEM TO END: REP BANK REPLACING IT

1) I've instituted a REP BANK denominated in "Fastlane Dollars" -- effectively immediately the speed system will no longer be used. (I haven't disabled it yet.)

You build your rep bank by participating in the forum. Your bank increases with little actions, such as posting a status update, a new thread, or a new post. (You won't get alerts every time rep is deposited.) What pays at the forum? Participation. However, the huge impact on your bank comes directly from POST LIKES and REP TRANSFERS.

If you like a post, press "Like / Thanks" and that will immediately increase that person's bank. (The old system was cumulative -- speed wouldn't go up for weeks, perhaps months - this is instantaneous.)

If you REALLY like a post and extreme value was provided, press "Rep Transfer" -- you can "pay" someone rep manually and leave them a comment. Please note: Rep Transfer decreases your bank by the amount you transfer.

I thought this new system would be far more effective than the other system that was in place. In fact, I feel it reflects the real world because money exchange in the real world is predicated on VALUE. When value is provided, you get paid handsomely. Now, when a forum contributor provides extreme value, they will also be paid handsomely by virtue of "likes/thanks" and "transfers".

Also in the works, if I can figure it out:
If one of your threads go GOLD, a payment will be made.
If you give an INSIDERS call, a payment can be made.

#2) THE FORUM NOW HAS AN "ABOUT PAGE

The forum now has an about page which is more detailed about the forum's mission, the rules, the commandments, and an in-progress FAQ.

Check it out:
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/pages/about/
#3) A FONT CHANGE

As you can see, I've changed the main forum font to a SANS SERIF vs the SERIF. Some people complained about it and after reading for several weeks, I will have to agree that this is more readable.​

#4) IN THE WORKS...

Once the "rep bank" system is confirmed to work (I had to hack an add-on pretty bad to customize it) it might dictate certain permissions at the forum. I haven't decided exactly yet (its a little cart before the horse) but it might include another private forum based on rep only, similar to the Speedway. Maybe even discounts (or freebies) to the INSIDERS forum. If things really go well, who knows, maybe you could buy stuff with it. Again, all of this is determinate on how well it works.

That's all for now ...

Got some other stuff on the burner too..

:cool:

~ MJ

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Not gonna lie, but I like this rep system already. I expect it will get people more in the mindset of providing value over making money, or 'collecting' rep speed.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Not gonna lie, but I like this rep system already. I expect it will get people more in the mindset of providing value over making money, or 'collecting' rep speed.

Agreed. I was not liking the other system as it was set-up: Someone would have to collect 100's of likes before speed even budged. I was getting the feeling that "liking" or "thanking" someone was inconsequential. This has a direct impact.

It is skewed heavily toward likes and transfers, but participation pays as well. Kinda cool watching the bank grow -- I was at $300 bucks when it was launched. My first TRANSFER of REP went to @ChickenHawk for her awesome self-publishing thread.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You're a real innovator.

1295598d1385598127-what-your-opinions-watch-not-sure-if-trolling-serious.jpg.png

;)

Deevo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 24, 2014
Interesting change. I feel many are going to get hooked on watching their bank grow, haha.

I've seen a few of yours jump like crazy in a blink of an eye. Awesome!

D

DeletedUser2

I really like this. there have been some posts that I just say, thanks to. and others, that I say HOLY CRAP I WISH I COULD DOUBLE CHOCOLATE DIP WITH SPRINKLES LIKE/

now I can

Z

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Just found the first issue... when someone transfers to you, you don't know which thread it came from. Got more work to do.

Vick

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Dec 27, 2012
Toronto
yup, def a cool idea. i like ;)

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I love the mental connection between providing value and the $ sign itself here.

Consciously, subconsciously, when you provide value and your money increases here, I think will reinforce what happens in the real world.

I THINK by doing this on the forum, the process will transfer into the real world and into our business beliefs and practices.

Its like practicing for the real game.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Love the idea.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I really like this. there have been some posts that I just say, thanks to. and others, that I say HOLY CRAP I WISH I COULD DOUBLE CHOCOLATE DIP WITH SPRINKLES LIKE/

now I can

Z
Thats Vigilante with a V

Start typing it in the transfer box and auto fill will do the rest for you

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
You also made some design changes, no? The new header looks great and I'm liking the bolder blue and gold (even though they are Michigan colors...:vomit: :puke:).

Mrs. BRKb

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Giving a shout-out to my favorite Fastlane button "Today's Posts." Yay, found it!
~happy happy dance~

:hurray:

It's in stealth mode on the row beneath the gold toolbar, roughly in the middle.

Last edited:

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
and here I was thinking I was actually getting paid to use the forum.

haha, I love the idea!

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
That's Great. Should I start a new thread, How I turned my $1,000 Fast lane account into $1,000,000 in 24 months?
Yep, I'm about to start a progress thread for that ;)

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
I dunno this looks like centralized controlled fiat currency to me :p

MJ is over there printing money like the Fed Reserve Bank. I think we need to schedule yearly audits. :D

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I love this update. The old rep system is cool and all, but I like that with this system you get 'cash' for participation as well.

I remember having a similar system on a message board I moderated... 8, 9 years ago? But, it was really successful - it really encouraged people to participate in the community, and not only that, the quality of the content went up as well.

I am also really liking the Rep Transfer. I know that in the past I've read stuff that was a sort of epiphany to me, and I wished I could leave more than just a like. Now, I can!

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
If you REALLY like a post and extreme value was provided, press "Rep Transfer" -- you can "pay" someone rep manually and leave them a comment.

Maybe you knew this, maybe you didn't...but the "Rep transfer" button doesn't show up when using the "Mobile Style - Raw" theme.

By the way, quitting caffiene when coding is 100x harder that normal :grumpy:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.