The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New member from Cleveland Ohio area

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Hello Everybody! My name is Jim and I am currently working on my way to the fastlane.

I found the forum first, then bought the book based on the wealth of knowledge and missing out on some references that are vital to understanding some of the conversations that go on around here. I've worked a number of crappy jobs, a number of awesome jobs, but they all have one thing in common. The word JOB. Which means I either hated them or they were never guaranteed.

A little about myself, I've always been a hard worker. My first "job" was working for my dad helping him in his harness business when I was little. My brother and I would make something equivalent to $22 an hour (which was awesome for a 12-13 year old in the mid/late 90's), but that was only occasionally and never more than 100 bucks at a time. My first exposure to the suckitude of employment. A little later I took my first "real" job at a pottery factory outlet store (Haeger Potteries) at age 16. I had fun at that job, and worked with some awesome people, but it definitely wasn't anything other than a part time high school job.

I wanted more from life, which ultimately led me to enlist in the Marine Corps straight out of high school. My mom says I couldn't get out the door fast enough on the day the recruiter came to pick me up and take me to the processing station. I saw two tours in Iraq, which was very interesting being exposed to a foreign culture, even if it was only from my vantage point in the gun turret of my truck. It certainly gave me a whole new perspective on just how good we have it in the US compared to a people who are largely still trying to scratch a living from parched earth with a sprinkling of outdated technology thrown in for good measure. Easiest job by far that I've ever had, I got paid to work out, play with guns, blow shit up and generally just be a badass. I had a roof over my head, guaranteed 3 square a day, guaranteed pay on the 1st and the 15th. And all I had to do was live the aforementioned dream that every little boy has at some point. Sure, there was a lot of bullshit, pomp and military regulation, but let me tell you, there are very, very few things like pulling the lanyard of a howitzer and sending a 100 pound screaming steel projectile filled with 27 pounds of pure hate and discontent downrange to vaporize some poor target and all his little target buddies within 150 meter radius. Or punch a whole the size of a small car in the side of a tank. Or, if you were (un)lucky and you got an old powder and the gun belched flames out of the end of the cannon tube through the vents of the muzzlebrake. We in the artillery community call it dragons breathe, and it looks awesome and is terrifying all in the same instant.

Unfortunately, this time of plenty wouldn't last. Just after my 4th year in (I re enlisted and got almost 40k in bonus money, which I blew through like the typical hormonal early 20 something I was at that time. Still kick myself for that every now and then), while crawling out of bed of all things, my right knee popped really loud. Couldn't bend it more than a few degrees in either direction and it hurt like no tomorrow to try and stand on it. Long story short I had to have the cartlidge replaced, and that pretty much ended my plan of doing my 20 and getting a pension.

With the military now no longer an option, I had to come up with a plan. I worked two part time jobs after my discharge to cover my bills since i didn't want to eat up what was left of my severance pay (to the tune of 25k, give or take, can't remember the exact amount) as I would need that to move to Cleveland Ohio where I attended Ohio Technical College, and earned an A.S.S. in High Performance and Racing Technology. My plan at that time went something along the lines of "If I can't play Marine anymore, I'll go play Racecar". 6 months to graduation I started working at a local race shop, initially on a Top Alcohol funnycar team, then that guy decided he wanted to run NHRA Nitro Funnycar (also known as Big Show since they are the 10k hp screamers that will run 1000ft in 4 sec or less). I was living the dream, getting paid to do what many people only dreamed of doing. Then the harshness and suckitude of the word Job kicked in again. I was let go in a very confusing, shitty manner that I won't get into here for reasons I still have no clue as to why when I was told I was doing an excellent job and the crew chief that guy hired told him to hang on to me and make sure I didn't go anywhere.

Which leads me to my current JOB, working at a machine shop. Where my boss' also happens to run an IHRA Nostalgia Nitro Funnycar (current world record holder for that class I might add. You can also find my ugly mug on the cover of the February issue of Kenny Youngblood's Fuel Coupe magazine for this year checking tire pressure in the staging lanes). The arrangement we have is I work at the machine shop for pay and they pay my way (room and board essentially) to go racing. There is just one problem with this arrangement, I don't have any income when we are gone racing. While this isn't a problem for covering my bills (My wife and I live well within our means) it can make it tricky to cover bills due to the vagaries of when the due dates fall on the calender. I do enjoy the job ( as well as picking up some valuable skills) and make enough to survive, I still must wrestle with the fact that it is a JOB, which is still beyond my direct control.

Which leads me to today, making my introduction thread on a forum for entrepreneurial types as I take my first steps towards finding my own fast lane to financial freedom. The business I'm currently developing (in the planning stages right now), I found the niche almost completely by accident. This business most likely won't be my direct ticket to the fastlane, but it will be my ticket to take back control of my life from the perfidious clutches of JOB. There will also be opportunities once the core business is profitable to organically expand into related but separate aspects of the niche and the market in general.

I have a pretty solid idea of where I'm going, but already this forum and TMF have shown me some serious flaws in my plan prior to this point, namely thinking too small and leaving myself in a poor position to scale once the opportunity intersects with the realm of feasibility. On the positive side, what I found here and in the book gave me a quantifiable way to affirm what my instinct was telling me is a good idea to pursue. I am hoping to be able to launch by the end of the year, but that's not a hard goal just yet (no I'm not waiting for the perfect time, there is just a shit load of ground work I need to lay and ensure is in place before I proceed. I realize that there is no "perfect time" to do anything, only the time you pick to act).

If you have read this far I applaud your intestinal fortitude to read such a long post, and I look forwards to learning more and giving what little I have to offer at the moment.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darius

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Apr 8, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome Jim.

Good to see another Clevelander here.

Seems like you've experienced the control factor of 9-5 jobs. (Being let go and having your income sliced immediately)

I'd recommend getting an INSIDERS subscription and then posting your idea and what you've done so far.

You might read the last sentence and think "But it's a good idea and someone might steal it". I know I did when I first signed up

In my opinion, it's very likely that your first few (maybe even hundred) ideas aren't too good. By posting them, you can get feedback and help shape them into a good (or even great) idea.

Is there a chance that someone might steal it, yep. It's the internet and this has happened a couple times before (They were immediately banned forever.)

But (once again) in my opinion, your downside is limited (Worst case: Someone steals your idea, you either (A) Execute better because you know the market, or (B) Create a new idea based on the help from the wise members in this community.), But your upside is unlimited ∞

PS: You went to O.T.C off of 51st street? What was your experience like? I've heard some good things about that place from a few car mechanics.

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome Jim.

Seems like you've experienced the control factor of 9-5 jobs. (Being let go and having your income sliced immediately)

I'd recommend getting an INSIDERS subscription and then posting your idea and what you've done so far.

You might reading the last sentence and thinking "But it's a good idea and someone might steal it". I know I used to when I first signed up

In my opinion, it's very likely that your first few (maybe even hundred) ideas aren't too good. By posting them, you can get feedback and help shape them into a good (or even great) idea.

Is there a chance that someone might steal it, yep. It's the internet and this has happened a couple times before (They were immediately banned forever.)

But (once again) in my opinion, your downside is limited (Worst case: Someone steals your idea, you either (A) Execute better because you know the market, or (B) Create a new idea based on the help from the wise members in this community.), But your upside is unlimited ∞

PS: You went to O.T.C off of 51st street? What was your experience like? I've heard some good things about that place from a few car mechanics.

I went to that very same O.T.C. I can't speak for the rest of the campus but the High Performance program is absolutely fantastic. The 3 instructors in that department probably have 120-130 years of racing experience between them and are very well connected out in the field. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I'm not a native Clevelander, just happened to land here after school was done!

I will probably get an INSIDERS membership at some point, but for the immediate future I have to watch pennies. My income is not going to be steady for the next couple of months due to my boss' racing schedule and my wife and dog like to have food on the table!

As for someone stealing my idea, I'm not to worried at the present time. I'm about to sound contradictory here, but I'm not at a place I feel comfortable presenting my idea to a group of strangers/people I don't know. Not that I can't present an idea, while I was in college I had a public speaking course where we had to give a persuasive speech on a subject of our choosing. The topic of my speech was about why President Abraham Lincoln is a tyrant and a terrorist, and has an undeserved postmortem reputation as a champion of civil rights. I have just been burned so many times in the past that it's hard to get past the intense suspicion and mistrust of everyone that I don't have a good, established relationship with. So nothing personal! Just my personal issues I have to work past.

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Welcome Jim.

You might read the last sentence and think "But it's a good idea and someone might steal it". I know I did when I first signed up

One caveat that I want to add to me not being worried about others stealing my idea, the niche I'm chasing requires highly specialized technical knowledge and at least a few years of experience in the field to fully capitalize on the idea. There is also a pretty significant financial outlay necessary for the necessary equipment. The industry in general is low volume (I'm anticipating that I will move 5-10 units of my primary product in the first year and probably about the same for the second year.). The potential for growth is there though as my niche's potential target audience could be just about anyone from any walk of life. As for due diligence, most of that has already been accomplished for me due to the explosive nature of the popularity of my target niche's growth over the last few years that it has existed. I believe I have a pretty solid marketing strategy laid out, but have a lot of pre launch work to do as this will be make or break for whether I can get the project off the ground in a timely manner.

I will admit that I started the planning long before I read TMF , and started it for my own selfish reasons. I just got lucky that my instincts were correct, and that the WIIFM model overlayed almost directly when looking at it from my potential customers point of view.

Brian E.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2015
Well, good to see YET another Clevelander...I too live in this city...(outskits more like)...And with all the incidents going on in this city lately, it's become somewhat hard to maintain our visions for success. Though I personally stay away from the news. I understand your whole mentality there, as in the word JOB. It took my wife buying me a book by Trump and Kiyosaki called Why We Want You To Be Rich that made me realize the Kiyosaki princple, which was become an entrepreneur, invest, and take risks to equal a better chance at success. I could not seem to find what I wanted to do business wise, not knowing it was there all along.
My main purpose on this Earth is to inspire others, motivate others, and help them achieve their dreams. But to me, in order to do that, I must first also achieve the dreams I want, including being on the fast track, and am tired of all negative influences from the outside world. I am trying to build a legacy here in this city, and want to start a Mastermind Group, where we regularly get together and talk positive things and help each other out...possibly go out as well for drinks, too.
I know how you feel as I too have started an idea, but will not share it yet, until I gain trust, as too much has happened. Perhaps its my ego, but I will however be taking steps towards securing this goal. I just started reading the book, but joined the forum once I heard about it. Perhaps we three can talk more together and hopefully form a Cleveland group here in the city, perhaps meet and chat over drinks?

94blackbird

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 21, 2015
Cleveland, Ohio
Well, good to see YET another Clevelander...I too live in this city...(outskits more like)...And with all the incidents going on in this city lately, it's become somewhat hard to maintain our visions for success. Though I personally stay away from the news. I understand your whole mentality there, as in the word JOB. It took my wife buying me a book by Trump and Kiyosaki called Why We Want You To Be Rich that made me realize the Kiyosaki princple, which was become an entrepreneur, invest, and take risks to equal a better chance at success. I could not seem to find what I wanted to do business wise, not knowing it was there all along.
My main purpose on this Earth is to inspire others, motivate others, and help them achieve their dreams. But to me, in order to do that, I must first also achieve the dreams I want, including being on the fast track, and am tired of all negative influences from the outside world. I am trying to build a legacy here in this city, and want to start a Mastermind Group, where we regularly get together and talk positive things and help each other out...possibly go out as well for drinks, too.
I know how you feel as I too have started an idea, but will not share it yet, until I gain trust, as too much has happened. Perhaps its my ego, but I will however be taking steps towards securing this goal. I just started reading the book, but joined the forum once I heard about it. Perhaps we three can talk more together and hopefully form a Cleveland group here in the city, perhaps meet and chat over drinks?

I would not be opposed to meeting up with other like minded people in the area. Seems to me that they are few and far between. Even my boss (who owns the machine shop I work at) is pretty slowlane minded.

Brian E.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
May 14, 2015
Awesome. Well, let's see what's up as well with the other person, Darius..Yeah, you are right. Sadly this city has far too many closed minds, focused on Lebron James, after hating him for so long, or focused on work work work. Then, there's the whole other issues going on, too. So yeah, would love to get together soon. PM me back and we can hopefully set this up.

Pedrocj

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
May 27, 2015
Hi Blackbird
I read your story. It was good you shared. I read the thread as I lived in Cleveland for 6 months and attended CSU. That was a great time.
I am originally from Brazil but have being living in Australia for the last 10 years.
Wish you the best of luck on your journey.
Keep on posting your progress and thanks for sharing your story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...