The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Opinions on Clothing Brand

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MattUCF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Aug 2, 2014
Hello,
I have been a member for awhile and have posted a couple idea threads but have never acted upon it because of where I am in my college phase. However, this Spring when I go back I am going to follow through with my idea and create it and stop being a "wantrapreneur" so I can start seeing some results of handwork!
I am 19 and in college and have surrounded myself with like minded individuals who all have the same drive to be an entrepreneur just like everyone on this forum. Which is why I am seeking opinions about my company that I AM GOING TO start..

We all have clothing brands that we like: Billabong, Nike, Volcom.. you get it. But all these brands that we love have a main idea behind them whether they be surfing, athletics, or skating. But what about us? So, what I have done is try to create a brand FOR entrepreneurs. People who have that self-made mindset and drive to become successful, to start their own company, and have their own freedom. I want this brand to represent the TRIP and JOURNEY to the fast lane life. I am going to create a website that will have articles about upcoming entrepreneurs and news that is currently happening. (Snapchat and Facebook). My company is also going to have a motivational point of view with daily quotes/success stories.
You get the idea...
I would love to get opinions about a couple shirts that I created. I would have them printed myself locally but for the sake of creating something easily I created them online. I would love to hear feedback about this idea and I already have an easy marketing connection if this was liked mainly by you guys to start getting these out there. Here are some samples from Jet Set Co.
There are much more designs in the process of being made including quotes on the back as well as a new logo that would be official for the brand. Also, any colors are an option and I am creating them now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• Jet Set Co. Black T.png
    Jet Set Co. Black T.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 50
  • White Polo .png
    White Polo .png
    150.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Black Polo.png
    Black Polo.png
    135 KB · Views: 43

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
No idea if anything like this exists or could work, but...
I really like the creativity behind the angle. That's definitely a way to set yourself apart from just being another clothing line.
Having said that, I think you need to find out what the market wants in terms of shirt types and styles.
I personally wouldn't wear any of those shirts, but that's because I really only wear t-shirts.
I want to be that guy that owns a $200m company and comes to work in shorts and a t-shirt.
I like the concept of the logo as it sort of piggybacks on some luxury brands.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
I don't consider myself an entrepreneur, but am working towards getting there currently in my spare time. But, since you are soliciting opinions here's mine.

It seems to be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Based on all the reading and discussion here, plus the concepts taught in most programs, that is one of the key steps in any venture. Identify a problem within a given market. The absence of a product for a market does not automatically mean there's a demand for it. If you've done research and find that people are truly looking for this type of product, then disregard this.

If you're trying to create a brand, rather than solve a real problem, than the angle might work if you link it with a successful site and have loyal followers, but it seems like a tough road to travel and there might be paths of lesser resistance out there to take advantage of.
The nice thing about your concept though is that it should be easy to test without a lot of capitol and practically little to no inventory.

I wear what I'm comfortable with and what I think looks good on me. So this product would not be for me nor do I shop for brands that identify with my character.

Once again, I speak from no experience, so take it with a grain of salt. At least you have an idea to pursue which is what I've struggled with for over a year. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
I personally wouldn't wear these, others might, fashion obviously comes down to personal preference.

Consider that some up and comers aspiring to make it might like to 'fake it' by wearing Ralph Lauren, designer labels etc. or their own startup's t-shirts..?
You mention snapchat and facebook in your post, if you go ahead with it also use Instagram - that's good for fashion / lifestyle so get on there too.

Just my 2c all the best with it.

Camo & Gold

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Nov 28, 2014
Dirty South
I like your idea but your execution needs some sharpening. Also, developing a brand for entrepreneurs ON an entrepreneur forum is quite bold, but I appreciate your hustle. Here is an angle to help you get off the ground.

We as Humans are social animals, there is no denying that. Whether we resemble who we are by the articles of clothing we wear or by the tattoos on our skin, people always feel the need to be apart of something. Brands such as Nike, Ralph Lauren and Hollister for example, have succeeded in exploiting this natural instinct. Now every niche is different in exploiting this, but once you get a strong enough following your product will begin to sell itself.

I hope this helped and best of luck to your business.

MattUCF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Aug 2, 2014
I personally wouldn't wear any of those shirts, but that's because I really only wear t-shirts.
I want to be that guy that owns a $200m company and comes to work in shorts and a t-shirt.
I like the concept of the logo as it sort of piggybacks on some luxury brands.
Thank you for the advice! I am the exact same way you are.. I want to walk into a Lamborghini dealership in my basketball shorts and t-shirt. And this is exactly what I want these shirts to represent in a classy way. They would almost all be t-shirts as well. However, you are exactly who I would try to sell to so what would YOU want with regards to a brand about who you are as an entrepreneur, if at all?

MattUCF

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Aug 2, 2014
I like your idea but your execution needs some sharpening. Also, developing a brand for entrepreneurs ON an entrepreneur forum is quite bold, but I appreciate your hustle. Here is an angle to help you get off the ground.

We as Humans are social animals, there is no denying that. Whether we resemble who we are by the articles of clothing we wear or by the tattoos on our skin, people always feel the need to be apart of something. Brands such as Nike, Ralph Lauren and Hollister for example, have succeeded in exploiting this natural instinct. Now every niche is different in exploiting this, but once you get a strong enough following your product will begin to sell itself.

I hope this helped and best of luck to your business.
Thank you and I agree with you about how people are going to fake it and buy the most expensive clothes to show that they are successful. I want this clothing line to represent the real people making their way as leaders in a classy way, yet casual as t's or polos. Basically a brand to represent us in an all around way. I'm not sure how familiar you are with brands in pacsun but they are getting ridiculous.( I saw a hat with giraffes and rainbows on it today). However, there are a select few companies in there that appeal to the younger demographic and I think my company could but in a positive way while being attractive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.