The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need More Time? Make Your Day 25+ Hours Long.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
In Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, there’s an old story about a general named Joshua who had supernatural success in war, conquering dozens and dozens of small nations and city-states with a ragtag army. In one such battle, he faced a united enemy attempting to destroy one of his allies. The enemy was in full retreat, but with night falling, Joshua feared that the enemy would escape under cover of darkness and be able to mount a counter attack at a later time. So the story goes that he prayed, and God halted the transit of the sun across the sky, giving Joshua and his army extra hours to defeat and capture their foes.

In business, do you ever feel like there just aren't enough hours in the day? Do you feel like you've got victory in your sights, but you'd just need the day to be 31 hours long to get it all done? If only you had just a little more time before bed each night, when the mountain of emails and a new day's demands would reset, and victory would escape your grasp. I can't tell you how to make the sun stand still, but I can tell you how to make the day last 25, 26, or 27 hours-No miracles, magic, or Red Bull required.

About five months ago, maybe four weeks after finishing TMF , I made a drastic change in my life. It was a decision that I should have made on a fateful day back in 1995. I remember struggling with my difficult classes in college, like o-chem diff eq. and medical physics. I remember in graduate school, with 500 pages of reading to do each week, thinking that there was no way to do it. If only I had another hour.

I don't feel that way now, even though I'm swamped with work. I feel like a vast expanse of time has opened up, like my days are supernaturally long, like the sun is frozen in the sky giving me all the time I need. And you can too.

In 1995, in May, I think, I spent all my Christmas money, $29.99, on MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat, the first video game I ever owned. Over the subsequent years I would buy Half-Life, Star Craft, Counter Strike, and many others, along with thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in cutting edge computers. I don't how much I spent on video games during my childhood, not that much by adult standards, but the point was more what they took from me in terms of resources-everything. They consumed, and consumed, and consumed. Somehow, when it came time for exams, I was always left wondering why I had to stay up until 3AM, drinking 40oz of coffee per day.

One of the most vital steps in switching from team consumer to team producer is to cut out the things that are consuming you. Your mind will make up all kinds of excuses: You're having fun, you earned it, it's just a hobby, it's just to relax. Meanwhile, your actual work seems impossible, because every day, hours go to TV, or Video games. Your brain might justify it by the level of excitement that you're experiencing-you're right in the middle of solving crimes, fighting wars, healing patients with exotic diseases... but you know what the reality is?

All those nights in college, or in high school, you weren't battling monsters or securing victory for the USA or healing people-you were sitting virtually motionless in a char for hours, possibly moving your fingers. You were doing... nothing.

Doing nothing is the antithesis of being a producer. Every minute that you do nothing, your ability to produce languishes, and you languish.

If you're 19 or 23 or 25, I'm begging you to listen to the wisdom of somebody who is just a few years farther down the line. Do what I did five months ago:

Take everything, all the games, all the controllers, everything, wipe your hard drive, and drive it to a Salvation Army and leave it in their collection bin. Put it out by the curb in the trash. Immediately, get rid of it. Don't give yourself a chance to change your mind.

Beyond freeing your time, it frees your life. I have never, not once, looked back on my childhood and wished I played another minute of video games.

Stop watching someone become the biggest loser and start getting in shape yourself.

Stop racing your dream car in Forza and get out there and get it in real life.

Stop following a TV romance and get out there and fall in love yourself.

Real things don't vanish when you flip the switch. Spend your time getting the things that last when the power is off. No matter how old you are, or where you are in life, I'm an ex-addict who escaped from team consumer, and this is an intervention. Throw your console out. Delete your games. Delete your Reddit account and block it with productivity software. Cancel Netflix. You cannot afford to waste another night of your life on things that consume you, and give back nothing in return.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Every minute that you do nothing, your ability to produce languishes, and you languish.

What we languish on is a symptom of languish itself. And languish, in general saps your time. When you find the courage to not languish on your troubles, but steadily work through them. You don't need as much medication.

On another point, my friend dropped video games for a while, he then got successful and brought them back in as a luxury and loves it. So maybe its not the acts that have to be permenently changed, but just the way in which they are being utilised according to where we are.

Personally I don't watch TV, unless its biz, or somehing cool like GoT. Just bite sized pieces, 20mins of a dvd etc as I eat.
Months ago, I used hours watching, now I spend quite a bit of time off the computer and approach those distractions in a better way than I did before.

Its a good tip to sort this out.
Also
- Weed
- Alcohol
- Being comparitive/looking for a magic move

You want your RnR, to not be symptomatic of desperation and uncertainty, or these things will fly out of balance comparitive to being present with your biz.

Last edited:

LeftBench

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
316%
Jul 16, 2013
NJ
Nice post. I'm guilty of this with the television for sure.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
>I'm guilty of this with the television for sure.

All the forces of huge marketing empires are working to make sure you keep consuming. My own post convinced me to cancel NetFlix; I haven't had TV since I got rid of my video games, but I realized that was creeping in to take its place.

DrKlau

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 6, 2014
Does number 11 symbolize something for you or its irrelevant? (ΕΝΔΕΚΑ in Greek is the number eleven).

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Video games are a trap. I plan on writing a bit about it, but as a gamer myself, I can say with certainty that they are more of a trap than television or reading blogs. It sucks you in and gives you goals, then when you complete them you get the same sense of accomplishment as completing a real life goal.

There's a bit more to it than that but that's the biggest issue since it takes you away from real life goals and puts you in a virtual world of virtual goals. What's worse is that some of those goals take months or years to achieve, much like making real life change.

Keep the video games to an absolute minimum.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Does number 11 symbolize something for you or its irrelevant?

kaloς.

It's the number of years I spent screwing around and day dreaming about a life changing idea before I decided to do something about it.

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
In Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, there’s an old story about a general named Joshua who had supernatural success in war, conquering dozens and dozens of small nations and city-states with a ragtag army. In one such battle, he faced a united enemy attempting to destroy one of his allies. The enemy was in full retreat, but with night falling, Joshua feared that the enemy would escape under cover of darkness and be able to mount a counter attack at a later time. So the story goes that he prayed, and God halted the transit of the sun across the sky, giving Joshua and his army extra hours to defeat and capture their foes.

In business, do you ever feel like there just aren't enough hours in the day? Do you feel like you've got victory in your sights, but you'd just need the day to be 31 hours long to get it all done? If only you had just a little more time before bed each night, when the mountain of emails and a new day's demands would reset, and victory would escape your grasp. I can't tell you how to make the sun stand still, but I can tell you how to make the day last 25, 26, or 27 hours-No miracles, magic, or Red Bull required.

About five months ago, maybe four weeks after finishing TMF , I made a drastic change in my life. It was a decision that I should have made on a fateful day back in 1995. I remember struggling with my difficult classes in college, like o-chem diff eq. and medical physics. I remember in graduate school, with 500 pages of reading to do each week, thinking that there was no way to do it. If only I had another hour.

I don't feel that way now, even though I'm swamped with work. I feel like a vast expanse of time has opened up, like my days are supernaturally long, like the sun is frozen in the sky giving me all the time I need. And you can too.

In 1995, in May, I think, I spent all my Christmas money, $29.99, on MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat, the first video game I ever owned. Over the subsequent years I would buy Half-Life, Star Craft, Counter Strike, and many others, along with thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars in cutting edge computers. I don't how much I spent on video games during my childhood, not that much by adult standards, but the point was more what they took from me in terms of resources-everything. They consumed, and consumed, and consumed. Somehow, when it came time for exams, I was always left wondering why I had to stay up until 3AM, drinking 40oz of coffee per day.

One of the most vital steps in switching from team producer to team consumer is to cut out the things that are consuming you. Your mind will make up all kinds of excuses: You're having fun, you earned it, it's just a hobby, it's just to relax. Meanwhile, your actual work seems impossible, because every day, hours go to TV, or Video games. Your brain might justify it by the level of excitement that you're experiencing-you're right in the middle of solving crimes, fighting wars, healing patients with exotic diseases... but you know what the reality is?

All those nights in college, or in high school, you weren't battling monsters or securing victory for the USA or healing people-you were sitting virtually motionless in a char for hours, possibly moving your fingers. You were doing... nothing.

Doing nothing is the antithesis of being a producer. Every minute that you do nothing, your ability to produce languishes, and you languish.

If you're 19 or 23 or 25, I'm begging you to listen to the wisdom of somebody who is just a few years farther down the line. Do what I did five months ago:

Take everything, all the games, all the controllers, everything, wipe your hard drive, and drive it to a Salvation Army and leave it in their collection bin. Put it out by the curb in the trash. Immediately, get rid of it. Don't give yourself a chance to change your mind.

Beyond freeing your time, it frees your life. I have never, not once, looked back on my childhood and wished I played another minute of video games.

Stop watching someone become the biggest loser and start getting in shape yourself.

Real things don't vanish when you flip the switch. Spend your time getting the things that last when the power is off. No matter how old you are, or where you are in life, I'm an ex-addict who escaped from team consumer, and this is an intervention. Throw your console out. Delete your games. Delete your Reddit account and block it with productivity software. Cancel Netflix. You cannot afford to waste another night of your life on things that consume you, and give back nothing in return.

This thread just inspired me to get rid of my game console and games, they are in a bag and ready to be dropped off. I was thinking about selling on ebay but I like the idea of driving it off somewhere and giving it away, it's more liberating.

This thread also inspired me to turn off the TV which I had on for background noise. As it was on I began to notice the commercials. My subconscious mind was getting "consumer" inputs without me even realizing it. Amazing stuff.

My cable gets shut off on Tuesday and it feels awesome. I don't need it and neither do you. It's another distraction.

Thanks for posting this @ΕΝΔΕΚΑ

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
That's great to hear. You won't regret it-just claim the time as your own, for serious work, not more consumption.

D

DeletedUser394

Quality over quantity. If there's something you really really enjoy, do it sparingly or as a reward for having accomplished a predetermined goal.

I'll play 1 hour of 'x' if I complete 'y' and receive 'z' as a result.
Or I'll watch my 30 minute favorite show once a week as long as I keep on top of my to do list, etc.

Certainly, most people don't have the self control required, but it can be done.

If someone is blowing six hours a day on that crap (lots of people are for sure), then that's obviously a problem.

I was fortunate to never understand the allure of video games, which is funny because I've made a lot of money selling games haha. Just because you don't use the product, doesn't mean you can't adequately service the market! ;)

Great post as always!

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I'll play 1 hour of 'x' if I complete 'y' and receive 'z' as a result.
Or I'll watch my 30 minute favorite show once a week as long as I keep on top of my to do list, etc.

I think it's possible to use things in moderation, this just worries me, because for years, my first move when I tried to quit was always to say, "Well I can use it a little bit, as a reward."

I still think it's better to pull the plug all the way, not because of willpower, but because even an hour a day adds little or nothing to you in the long term, it isn't memorable or life-changing or helpful. Games and TV are generally for people who have "time to kill." I don't know how it could be logically consistent to say both "I'm crafting a business deliberately designed to earn me a living while saving as much time as humanly possible" and then, while working on it, do something designed to kill and waste as painlessly as possible the same time you're intent on saving.

Beyond that, while gamafication and rewards are decent motivators, some day a person might be in competition in a space with someone who doesn't need an hour or two of rewards to motivate him to update the CSS on his website, and he's going to get to market before someone who does.

HardParked13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 15, 2013
VA
Real things don't vanish when you flip the switch.

^ I like that. I feel like more and more people get pulled into this trap. The dilemma of pursuing real success & fulfillment vs. settling for the electrochemical signals in your brain that resemble success & fulfillment. Same reason why people eat and eat and eat. They can't focus their hunger to business so they let it manifest into literal consumption. Just my observations.

D

DeletedUser394

I think it's possible to use things in moderation, this just worries me, because for years, my first move when I tried to quit was always to say, "Well I can use it a little bit, as a reward."

I still think it's better to pull the plug all the way, not because of willpower, but because even an hour a day adds little or nothing to you in the long term, it isn't memorable or life-changing or helpful. Games and TV are generally for people who have "time to kill." I don't know how it could be logically consistent to say both "I'm crafting a business deliberately designed to earn me a living while saving as much time as humanly possible" and then, while working on it, do something designed to kill and waste as painlessly as possible the same time you're intent on saving.

Beyond that, while gamafication and rewards are decent motivators, some day a person might be in competition in a space with someone who doesn't need an hour or two of rewards to motivate him to update the CSS on his website, and he's going to get to market before someone who does.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I used to go hard 100% of the time, 18 hours a day, and everyone (including the forum) told me I was going to burn out. I didn't believe them, but it happened, and I crashed. Felt like garbage for a while after that.

Now I intersperse my work/business with things that don't necessarily produce quantifiable results, but things that I enjoy, like being out in nature, traveling, hanging out with friends once in a while, etc.

Life doesn't have to end while a person builds a business. Now if you've got a deadline and have to hit it, then yeah definitely shelve everything else until you do. But once you get there, enjoy it bit eh ;)

It's possible to condense tasks or even outsource some of the 'busywork'.

Some people (not you, but in general) can't handle or manage their time properly, so yeah, in an instance like that pull the plug and don't look back.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
It was a few months ago that someone said to me "Why don't you play videogames anymore?". and I said "The time I am spending playing a video game is the time I could be using to actually buy the car I'm driving in that game".

Needless to say, it didn't register too well.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I used to go hard 100% of the time, 18 hours a day, and everyone (including the forum) told me I was going to burn out. I didn't believe them, but it happened, and I crashed. Felt like garbage for a while after that.

Yikes, I believe it. You were mostly hustling too right? I feel like the kill-or-be-killed businesses are harder to run those kind of hours on. At least in the fastlane your success is building towards something instead of treading water for another week.

Some people aren't prone to excessive time wasting on games or TV. For them, it's fine. I had to cut them off before they cut off my dreams instead.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
I remember when I was little, I had a Gameboy with a Pokemon game. The game kept track of how many hours you had played, and I remember looking at it one day and seeing 24 hours. I was shocked that I spent an entire day of my life playing that game.

I wish I would have learned my lesson then, but I must have wasted weeks and months of time through high school and college. I have had an xbox the last few years, but haven't even turned it on it 6 months or more, and even then I wasn't drawn in to hours of gameplay.

Break the chains.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Killer post, Killer copy ;) Should've had a product at the end, I had my credit card in hand :D

Well said, The way I look at it, you only have 27,010 days to live. By 21 you've used up 7,665. That leaves 19,345 days left to live. That's it.

If you look at it that way, you really DON'T have time to kill on video games, smoking weed and lying around doing jack all, because the truth is time is killing you.

Gotta maximize the life out of your time, and the good experiences per day rate. Max number of hours excitement/month.

Getting Super technical in this B----. Lol :rockon:

Always focus on positive ROI for your time.

that's my 2c in 2 mins :)

S

stranger

Yes, I closed my chess account 5 months before, but i miss for it. I love chess, but chess kills your time very.

On the other hand, if you do everything to make more money; it means your passion is money.

InnerVeritas

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Feb 15, 2014
Washago Ontario, Canada

One of the most vital steps in switching from team producer to team consumer is to cut out the things that are consuming you. Your mind will make up all kinds of excuses: You're having fun, you earned it, it's just a hobby, it's just to relax. Meanwhile, your actual work seems impossible, because every day, hours go to TV, or Video games. Your brain might justify it by the level of excitement that you're experiencing-you're right in the middle of solving crimes, fighting wars, healing patients with exotic diseases... but you know what the reality is?

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Should've had a product at the end, I had my credit card in hand

The product is yourself. Don't sell yourself short. If you die worth $50 billion, you won't be able to buy yourself one more day of youth for your whole fortune.

ddall

continuous self-improvement
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
402%
Dec 5, 2013
Toronto, ON
I came to the same realization regarding video games some years ago. In fact Half-life (the first one) Starcraft and Age of Empires 2 consumed an ungodly amount of my time and resources in high school. I had a minor relapse some years ago with the first COD MW, but sold the PS3 and games after a few months.

Bursts of productivity have come in waves, perhaps thats how it will always be, however in todays world my biggest distraction is useless internet browsing. Reddit sucked so much of my time, in addition to various fitness sites like Misc and /fit/. I virtually never visit those sites anymore as they become a time vortex sucking by the minutes as my brain releases dopamine hits while scrolling faster and faster for new stimuli.

As someone put it in an existentialist way above, we are all getting older, creeping slowly to our own demise. No video game, no useless mental junk food internet sites or TV is going to replace the satisfaction of training your body and your mind, and then reaping the fruit of those efforts.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
Great post by the way!

Just wanted to share my 2cents on the topic. :)

If someone has a goal of earning $1M a year that would be (just a sample):
$2739.73/day (lets say everyday is working day)
$114.15/hour (lets assume we don't want to sleep)

If you watch non-sense TV programs or play video game, slouch in the sofa, or do anything unproductive for 2hrs per day that's $228/day and $6850 a month wasted, now the question is, is it worth it?

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
I was playing World of Warcraft some years ago. Suddenly I stopped and deleted my account (I also gave all my 'stuff' to other members of the guild I was into). I never regret it.

Today's video games are DESIGNED to be addictive. Don't try to fight with 'god', just don't own anything.

Also for all those single guys and ladies, just sell your TV or give it away. You have already wasted a lot of time with that.

Something that I have noticed by reading a lot of 'wealth' books, is that all (I mean ALL) the books make one common point: Your time. Treat it like you should.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
@mentalic To expand on that, even if you're a slowlaner, think about what you earn every hour. Even if you have a so-so job, it's probably like $20-30.

Ask yourself, the morning after watching two hours of Kitchen Nightmares or playing two hours of Skyrim or looking at cat pictures on Reddit, would you have paid $40, $50, or $60 to do what you just did?

If not, don't do it!

S

stranger

Great post by the way!

Just wanted to share my 2cents on the topic. :)

If someone has a goal of earning $1M a year that would be (just a sample):
$2739.73/day (lets say everyday is working day)
$114.15/hour (lets assume we don't want to sleep)

If you watch non-sense TV programs or play video game, slouch in the sofa, or do anything unproductive for 2hrs per day that's $228/day and $6850 a month wasted, now the question is, is it worth it?
WOW. I'm shocked how it's still easy to make 1000000 bucks in the USA a year if you aren't lazy.

D

DeletedUser394

It's been a while since I crashed, but happened today (technically yesterday) in the afternoon. Now it's 4 o'clock in the morning, may as well keep working lol.

Berserker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Feb 26, 2014
UK
Great thread, cheers @ΕΝΔΕΚΑ. Really hits where it hurts as I spent years, and I mean YEARS, wasting time on video games, booze and other nefarious and ultimately useless past times.

See my profile picture - it's taken me a long time to get it, but now I do. Every reminder is timely, so thanks again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.