The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Trip to the Canton Fair - Why You Should Go

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
After a couple awesome presentations at Beer and Pancakes this year I decided to go to the Canton Fair. This is the largest trade fair in China it has 60,000 booths and hundreds of thousands of products. The opportunities are endless!

The main purpose of this thread is hoping that the info helps others that make the trip (KAK and Mrs BRKb helped me a ton) and to convince people to go and check it out.

@TopChef and I left from the States at the same time and split a hotel room and did all the traveling together. We also met up with fellow BnPers @Hong King Kong and @AnneC . HKK is building his empire while living in Guangzhou and Anne flew out and met us over there for phase 3. We all went to dinner one night and chilled, it was a good time. I hope they can come and give their perspective and fill in the things I miss.

I met up with Top Chef in Los Angeles and we flew from there to Beijing and then on to Guangzhou. The plane was pretty uneventful, the food on Air China isn’t very good but Anne said hers (Delta or United) was worse so I can’t complain. Pack some food if you can.

Hotel

Our hotel was pretty far from the airport (its pretty far from any part of the city). I think the metro goes all the way to the airport but we didn’t use it so not positive but if so it’s an easy way to save a few bucks. We took a cab instead. After leaving the airport some guys tried to hustle us for a $100 cab ride to our hotel. It sounded ridiculous but we offered $50 and they declined saying it was too far. They wanted like $60 minimum. They were just hustlers and not part of any real cab service so we waited in line for a metered cab (DO THIS). We got in the cab and after 2 minutes in he said we would be $40 to get to our hotel. We acted like we didn’t understand what he was saying and just pointed to the meter. The cab ride ended up only being about $20… Don’t fall for their tricks just meter a cab! Pretend you don’t understand and just point to the meter.

We stayed in a hotel (thanks to @Arrabista for the recommendation) a bit away from the Fair because it was a ton cheaper (jinyi hotel on Dade Rd). The cost was around $60 a night and it was a pretty nice hotel. I wasn’t sure what to expect from a $60 hotel but the beds were fine and it had a western style bathroom so we were good! The hotel staff didn’t speak any English, that was by far the worst part about the hotel.

There was a good restaurant right beside the hotel and we ended up eating there for breakfast almost every morning and some dinners. The food was good (unlike America Chinese food), breakfast was about $1 a day and dinner was $2-4 a day. Almost none of the restaurants had drinks so we always hit up 7-11 before or after. I’m sure we spent more on drinks than we did on food.

Travel Around City

Our hotel was near Pedestrian Street which is a pretty popular area with tons of shops and restaurants. It’s a really cool area that you should def check out if you are in the area. It was probably a 15 minute walk from our hotel. Amazing race went there this year if you watch that show.

Traveling around Guangzhou was easy, we were a 5-10 minute walk from the metro station. It seemed like you could pretty much get anywhere in the city for $1 and a 20 minute ride. The trip to the Fair was a bit crowded every morning but it only took 20 minutes or so and was pretty painless.

The Fair

We got to go to phase 2 and 3. We went to phase 2 for 4 days but the last day is really just a clean up day, it’s a good day to buy samples but the booths start packing up very early and it’s a madhouse once that starts. We were at phase 3 for 3 days and it was plenty for us.

The fair is a huge opportunity! Europeans far out numbered Americans. I don’t know the numbers but I don’t think I spoke with anyone who was from America and most of the English you heard had thick accents. Watching Europeans with thick accents talk to Chinese people that know little English was quite the sight.

I was looking to find a manufacturer for a few specific products that I wanted to add to my current product line. The main reason I wanted to go was to find a reliable supplier (or 2) for a specialty product that I knew would be readily available at the fair. I still wanted to see everything else to see about more products to add to my business and also was looking for some specific thing for a few friends. There were thousands and thousands of different products and we saw almost every booth in phase 2 and 3.

It’s hard to put into perspective just how big the fair actually is. The first day we got there we walked over 10 miles and covered about 1/3 of the phase maybe… It really is insane how big it is and pictures don’t really do it justice. We spent 7-8 hours a day for 3 days covering phase 2 walking row by row.

If you don’t know what you are looking for and just get catalogues from every manufacturer that looks cool it will be really heavy! Most people had rolling suitcases that they put their catalogues in. I just used a backpack and it was alright except maybe 1 day I got too overloaded. I would maybe recommend a suitcase or just go the digital method that we ended up doing. Just take their business card and take pictures with it and the products. I still got some catalogues but most of them are unneeded and some of the companies (especially trading companies) have HUGE catalogues.

Outside of the products I went looking for I also came away with a few things I am going to start selling in another vertical. I plan to mainly start these out on amazon but there is a ton of potential to get it into retail. Not sure where this will lead but the opportunity is pretty awesome and I couldn't let it pass me by.

Food

All the food we ate in China (outside the fair) was good but almost no one spoke English so we just pointed to pictures and hoped it was good. Most places we went only had pictures of a few items, luckily neither of us are picky. With that being said the food at the fair was pretty much crap. They have McDonalds and Papa Johns if you want to go that route or they have a few native options which is more or less their version of microwave dinners. You wont be missing much if you can skip lunch.

The street food is good. They have good fresh fruit including Jack Fruit that you need to try. They also have cooked food, no clue what most of it was and I only tried it a couple times, it was always really good.

The City

Overall the city was about what I expected. “It’s a manufacturing city” explains what to expect pretty well. I didn’t think the air quality was that bad, Beijing was WAAY worse but we were only there a few minutes so hard to judge. There was no crime to notice and overall people seemed decent, they work and that’s about it. The traffic is madness, everyone honks their horn at all times and cars fly from lane to lane like madmen. I’ve never witnessed anything like their traffic (I know, I know, I’m from Kentucky, but we do have paved roads and cars, and my city is actually pretty decent sized). Motorbikes go from street to sidewalk in an instant then come up behind you and honk in your ear. Bikes fly around corners, guys on motorized carts with boxes stacked 10 feet high fly down bike paths. I’m shocked there aren’t more accidents, Im shocked I didn’t witness a wreck or death. The bicyclists are nuts, I would never ride a bike there.

Random Stuff

The language barrier is big. Almost no one outside the fair spoke English. In the fair most spoke at least decent English but it was rough communicating with some of the people. Many people had translators and I would probably recommend that depending on your goals for the fair.

We weren’t able to make it to Hong Kong which is probably the only regret I have. The trains booked up our three off days between the fair. Book this early if you want to see it. We went downtown instead which was decent not a ton to write about there.

Also, apparently laundry’s aren’t a common thing in Guangzhou… We literally could not find one, either book a hotel with actual laundry, pack enough clothes for your entire trip or wash it by hand in the sink.

We went the entire trip without phone service. You can get a sim card and I hear they are pretty cheap but its not impossible to make it without one. I didnt really miss it, the hotel had internet that was slow but got the job done. Some websites are blocked so I had to get a VPN to access facebook to check on my Adspend.

Special shout out to @Mrs. BRKb and @Kak who have a good thread about their experience last year. You can pickup a ton of helpful nuggets there. https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/chinese-hk-trade-show-experience.48745/

If you don’t have a current product idea or funnel, GO TO THE FAIR! Like I mentioned above the number of Americans there is SUPER low and opportunities are everywhere. Between TopChef and I we probably have 10 good product Ideas that we simply cannot act on currently.

Expenses:

Hotel $60 a night
Food, Drink, Travel $200 for 12-14 days
Flight $900 from LAX
Visa $200 (??? Maybe don’t remember)
Shots (immunizations) includes a ton of stuff I was just slacking on $400
Can’t think of anything else…

The next Canton Fair is in October.. Can you bootstrap $2000 in 6 months...?

Or do you have an excuse?

I'll try and answer any questions you all have and hopefully everyone else who went can give their thoughts.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
Great recap!

I used miles for my airplane ticket. Didn't need any vaccinations. I applied for a multiple-entry visa, good for 1 year. Definitely needed if you want to take a trip into Hong Kong.

I speak Mandarin (and read a little), so I didn't have any communication difficulties. Taxis in Guangzhou are really cheap. The subway system is easy to navigate. I got cash from the ATMs. Sign up for a Charles Schwab account to get your ATM fees refunded.

My phone is unlocked, so I bought a SIM card at the Information Desk in the airport. The staff there speak English, and even accepted USD, since I hadn't hit an ATM yet. The SIM card worked right away and cost 130 RMB. I had unlimited 3G data, and some local calling / SMS. It was really useful. Just make sure your phone is unlocked. I had all my calls forwarded to GoogleVoice, but note that you can not forward SMS. For calling home, I used Skype, Google Hangouts, and SendHub. The "Great Firewall of China" made Google connections slow, but my VPN service worked just fine to circumvent that.

There is a subway stop in the airport, which you can take into town if you arrive before 23:00. Otherwise, grab an airport bus to the train station or Taxi (~110 RMB) to your hotel. Just make sure to always use the authorized taxi stands, and that they have their meter turned on. Ask for a "fa piao" or receipt. It is useful to have your hotel written down in Chinese.

@Hong King Kong and I stayed at the Lazy Gaga Hostel. I had a private room with my own bathroom, and it was less than $30/night including tax. He stayed in a dorm-type room for under $10/night. The 4 of us on this forum went out for dinner one night, and then chilled with the hostel owner over giant bottles of beers ($1 at the 7-11). There's not much out by the exhibition center. I would recommend staying in the more touristy areas of town and commuting to the Fair.

I spent two days checking out the wholesale markets in different parts of town. Definitely recommend. Next time, I will probably arrange for a purchasing agent service and check out some factories.

The Fair itself was giant and interesting. Prepare for a lot of walking. Save your badge for subsequent Fairs, or you will have to pay to get a new one.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
Great thread! I wish I could have ended up making it and joined everyone. Like I said in the previous thread before the show, I just couldn't get my passport and visa in time. I've already gotten my passport since then and am in the process of getting my visa for the October fair.

Thanks for the write up. The fair is pretty intimidating to first timers, so these threads help a lot.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Awesome writeup man!
But... pics, or it didn't happen... Lol j/k

Sounds like this is a seriously a good write-up for anyone going there next.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Thanks for the write up. The fair is pretty intimidating to first timers, so these threads help a lot.
I had never traveled out of North America so I definitely understand the feeling. Traveling with someone definitely helps. Gotta thank TopChef for that!

Like Anne mentioned above, she stayed at the Lazy Gaga Hostel, I would recommend something similar as you will meet other people like you and probably some entrepreneurs. There was a guy that we met at the hostel that was living the 4HWW lifestyle and a few who were working on sourcing in china. It was pretty fastlane and a good way to meet other people more like us. They also have a washing machine which is valuable!

cautiouscapy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Dec 30, 2012
UK
If you don’t have a current product idea or funnel, GO TO THE FAIR!

Talking to AnneC recently, I so wanted to just GO, but didn't...and this above is why I didn't go and also why I SHOULD have.

Hm...October...Hm...

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
But... pics, or it didn't happen... Lol j/k

I got a few but I think @TopChef was more of the photographer

Outside the fair
IMG_1504.JPG

Early AM before it actually opened

IMG_1585.JPG
Parts of the Fair

IMG_1874.JPG

All those weird looking buildings are parts of the fair, thats about 1/3 of 1 phase. And its 3-4 floors tall... its BIG

IMG_1875.JPG

Canton Tower, its one of the worlds tallest buildings

IMG_1953.jpg

Inside one of the buildings at the Fair.

IMG_1960.JPG
Stumbled upon this in a back alley

IMG_1499.JPG
Laundry in Guangzhou...

IMG_1956.JPG

The food! No clue what we ate, sometimes we tried to order things and they just shook their head no. Not sure if this meant we wouldn't like it or they didn't have it but it happened quite a few times.

IMG_1583.jpg

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
@brandonrush That was a pretty fancy place in a nice mall (with Gucci, Prada, Tiffany, etc... stores), and about 50-80 RMB per dish. Most meals, I ate in local places and were less than 25 RMB.

Last edited:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Fantastic write-up. Appreciate sharing the experience! rep+++

Hong King Kong

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Sep 29, 2012
Everywhere
Awesome write up! It was good times seeing some familiar faces here in Guangzhou.

So yea...I've been living here for a little over a month building a sourcing business. Hence being super quiet on in this community.

Anyway, heres a tip for the next up and comers at the Canton Fair... on how to get the lowest price possible on your products!! :punch:

- Don't bargain at the fair, because you won't even know if they're trading companies or factories... you got nothing to work with. Just collect prices and contacts. Buy an overpriced sample if you really need it.

- After you collect enough prices and contact, you'll have something to work with and get a good idea if they were trading companies or factories.

- Call them and ask if you can visit their factory, if yes, then they might just be legit, although they can still fake this part.

- Then go to the factory, meet with the boss, this is where the real bargaining starts...Have fun!

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
- Then go to the factory, meet with the boss, this is where the real bargaining starts...Have fun!

Or you could just go through a local sourcing agent... Any recommendations? lol

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Heading to Hong Kong in mid June. If I need to go to mainland China to see a factory, do I have to get a Visa? Can't remember. How big of a pain in the a$$ is the visa process?

edited: answered my own question. Thanks Google. http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/faq/

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
How big of a pain in the a$$ is the visa process?

Visa is pretty simple, I wrote about it in another thread about the Fair, heres what I wrote at the time...

Getting the Visa and Other Paperwork

I had no clue what it took to get a Visa before this experience. This is what i have learned. Hopefully its all accurate.

You really have two options to get your visa,
1. Go in person to the embassy (for my region that is Washington DC) or
2. Pay a service to do this for you.

I chose option 2 because Im not close to DC, they have others spread across the country for different regions.

Heres the service I used
http://www.mychinavisa.com/business.php

Everything you need to do is listed on this page, you send them your passport, a new passport photo, the application for Visa, a photocopy of your passport and an "invitation" and they take care of the rest. I'm not overly comfortable sending my passport in the mail but I guess theres no other option.

I had the passport photo taken at Walgreens for $12
The "invitation" can be taken care of within the BEST registration process. (http://www.cantonfair.org.cn/html/cantonfair/en/buyer/2012-09/73.shtml) Their website is awful to deal with and gave me many headaches, here are a few that might save you some time.
1. I had issues using chrome for the picture upload (safari worked perfect)
2. On a few application pages there are 2 "next" bottons a green and a grey one. Use the grey one, the green just reloads the page.
3. After you complete all the steps you can download your e-invitation which you then send with your passport

If you don't already have a passport I doubt you will be able to make it to Canton for this spring session (not really sure, but I think these take awhile) but the Visa process shouldn't be an issue.

I should get my Visa in 2 weeks (at the most) but there are fees you can pay that will rush your Visa within a week (maybe faster). Total cost will be around $250 for this stage.

Still plenty of time

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Heading to Hong Kong in mid June. If I need to go to mainland China to see a factory, do I have to get a Visa? Can't remember. How big of a pain in the a$$ is the visa process?

edited: answered my own question. Thanks Google. http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/visas/faq/

I believe you can get one at the border that heads into Shenzhen for a week. Double check on that though. Can't remember where I heard it.

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
We stayed in a hotel (thanks to @Arrabista for the recommendation) a bit away from the Fair because it was a ton cheaper (jinyi hotel on Dade Rd). The cost was around $60 a night and it was a pretty nice hotel. I wasn’t sure what to expect from a $60 hotel but the beds were fine and it had a western style bathroom so we were good! The hotel staff didn’t speak any English, that was by far the worst part about the hotel.

Man Glad it worked out ok on the hotel front :) , great report and i am sure lots of people will find your info really useful. For what its worth i took the subway every day to the fair and didnt have any problems

cheers and thanks again,

Alveko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 18, 2014
Nice write-up, are you planning on going to the next edition(s) as well?

John64

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 5, 2013
UK
There's a Trade fair in Hong Kong called Hong Kong Jewellery & Gem Fair that I should be going to.

I have booked my flight and just sorting the passes today. This is my first business so I thought I would go all out and go down. I'm planning to go to the Canton one in October depending on how this goes.

Anyone else going to the June one?

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky

WorldImperator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 29, 2014
1step,
Do you find it useful for European to go there and serch for product ideas and it's vendors?
(I know it can be though answer to you!)

And, well, it will not be sold via Amazon and will not hit the big market as in US.
Europe is a differente piece of cake, if talking about internet sales and potential market. Everything is splitted.

2k$ for the trip is not low... especially is you do not have already some cost coverage behing it, like existing business or many money just being on your account.

Stephanos83

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Nov 17, 2013
United Kingdom
1step,
Do you find it useful for European to go there and serch for product ideas and it's vendors?

And, well, it will not be sold via Amazon and will not hit the big market as in US.
Europe is a differente piece of cake, if talking about internet sales and potential market. Everything is splitted.

2k$ for the trip is not low... especially is you do not have already some cost coverage behing it, like existing business or many money just being on your account.

I've done some more research on this since this thread. Only about 9% of people that go are Americans. It's really a global event. Anyone that imports can benefit from going.

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Most of the white people we saw were some sort of European with very few Americans. So I would say yes it is useful... If the vast majority are European clearly it is useful to them somehow. Now, what their business model is? I have no idea.

2k$ for the trip is not low...
2k is low once you realize the actual value of the fair

I've done some more research on this since this thread. Only about 9% of people that go are Americans. It's really a global event. Anyone that imports can benefit from going.
Yes this seems accurate based on what I experienced.

boldaction

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 16, 2014
quick question for those who have attended, do i need a real "company" to be able to attend? or can i simply have a "dummy" company name? is there any verification necessary? thanks!

Morethan1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Dec 6, 2012
Canada
Will be going in October 15-19.
Might even hit up the hong kong electronics fair October 13-16.

Id love to meet up with whoever will be going!

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
quick question for those who have attended, do i need a real "company" to be able to attend? or can i simply have a "dummy" company name? is there any verification necessary? thanks!
Not at all. No verification required. If the suppliers ask, just tell them a random company name. You'll look more professional.

boldaction

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 16, 2014
thanks moneydoc, yea, i created a dummy company, also for those who are interested, on the application for the IC card, i did not provide a passport#, i provided my name/email/#/picture only and was approved

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.