The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Brainless Idea

Idea threads

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
So a buddy and myself decided we would start a brainless idea, which of course goes against almost every business book youll ever read, but we told ourselves lets not think, lets just do it. So we came up with the idea for www.HashtagSpot.com. We sell custom hashtag products, that are only available for a limited time, and must reach an order minimum before we will create and ship them out. We didnt want to be like Zazzle and some of the other companies, where you could get a hashtag printed onto the back of a product, we wanted the products to be unique, and that would hopefully get peoples attention (and of course that they would want). Thought process, hashtags are powerful, people use them and they become the voice of movements, why not showcase that in the real world. Literally the only thought process that we used.

It took us a few days to get the site up, because we didnt labor over design, or spend weeks trying to perfect the idea, we just went for it. We "launched" two days ago, and we chose a controversial hashtag, that has at the least gotten people to talk about us on social media.

Now we have the opportunity to sit back and look at things, and our goal is to continue to test out the viability of the idea, and look at how we can really market it, so that we can consistently hit our goals for each hashtag we put up, or maybe well learn we have to pivot, or ultimately maybe well find there just isnt a market around what we are trying to do. The great thing about this and I certainly wouldnt always use this strategy, is that A. there wasnt a huge investment cost (we have manufactures overseas ready to make the products as soon as we give them the go) and B. We didnt spend a lot of time, which of course there is pros and cons for.

Would love to know what other think about it, any suggestions, additional ideas, really anything you see.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
Ouch...

My only tip I can offer is to stay the hell away from politics in business, It'll alienate and split your consumer base.

But it is a unique idea, I hope you succeed mate.

Mattyds

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
May 9, 2014
Sydney
Although I wouldn't necessarily buy any of the products since I've never been a fan of the hash-tag movement, my main concern is that you're showing digital representations of the products which aren't feasible in real life. For example, for the iPhone case, since the writing is punched-out you won't get the middle of the letters coloured in (such as the middle of the "o", "a", "p" and "e" or the middle box in the "#") which you have shown.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
Although I wouldn't necessarily buy any of the products since I've never been a fan of the hash-tag movement, my main concern is that you're showing digital representations of the products which aren't feasible in real life. For example, for the iPhone case, since the writing is punched-out you won't get the middle of the letters coloured in (such as the middle of the "o", "a", "p" and "e" or the middle box in the "#") which you have shown.

Thats a really good point didnt notice that before, thanks.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
Ouch...

My only tip I can offer is to stay the hell away from politics in business, It'll alienate and split your consumer base.

But it is a unique idea, I hope you succeed mate.

Normally yes, but its works for our business.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
you could do hashtag NSF tags that are used for smartphones. Should be cheap to outsource and would give a new spin to things. Just an idea though I have no definitive proof if it would be worth your investment.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
you could do hashtag NSF tags that are used for smartphones. Should be cheap to outsource and would give a new spin to things. Just an idea though I have no definitive proof if it would be worth your investment.

Whats an NSF tag? It sounds really interesting, Im just not sure what it is. Thanks

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Nice site building skills
I cant figure out what you make though other than a support israel phone cover

Maybe a few more seconds used to explain what you can do and what customers can do through you would help it

MarkNNelson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 12, 2013
Colorado
I like it.

Another product option along these lines would be a small 3d printed desk ornament tchotchke like this
Love-and-hate-3D-printed-word-blocks-5.jpg

One other thing. I assume that you're pre-seeding the "number ordered" in order to show social proof? If so, change the numbers to 47 or 79 or something. 50 & 75 feel fake.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
I like it.

Another product option along these lines would be a small 3d printed desk ornament tchotchke like this
Love-and-hate-3D-printed-word-blocks-5.jpg

One other thing. I assume that you're pre-seeding the "number ordered" in order to show social proof? If so, change the numbers to 47 or 79 or something. 50 & 75 feel fake.

love that idea, thanks. and yeah trying to get some social proof, will change that.

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
Nice site building skills
I cant figure out what you make though other than a support israel phone cover

Maybe a few more seconds used to explain what you can do and what customers can do through you would help it

Thanks. We take a hashtag and create it in to products, whether it be tie clips, hair accessories, Iphone cases, etc. So each week we run a different hashtag campaign with two products, so this week it was an [HASHTAG]#IsupportIsrael[/HASHTAG] tie clip and iPhone case. And next week itll be something different.

Do you think a short video on the homepage would help get that point across. The message I want to convey is that hashtags are powerful, now you can wear them, not just talk about them, but Im struggling with the right way to convey that.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Don't think the idea is brainless at all.

My only tip I can offer is to stay the hell away from politics in business

And polarity is a great too for traffic. In this case, he isn't taking a stand on any one side. Therefore selling [HASHTAG]#RepublicansSuck[/HASHTAG] can be equally as profitable as [HASHTAG]#DemocratsSuck[/HASHTAG].

TheSilverSpoon

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Nov 4, 2013
Don't think the idea is brainless at all.

And polarity is a great too for traffic. In this case, he isn't taking a stand on any one side. Therefore selling [HASHTAG]#RepublicansSuck[/HASHTAG] can be equally as profitable as [HASHTAG]#DemocratsSuck[/HASHTAG].

x2.

I could see this turning into a GREAT Teespring-esque business. Any plans to let customers create campaigns and products in the future?

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
x2.

I could see this turning into a GREAT Teespring-esque business. Any plans to let customers create campaigns and products in the future?

Thats actually what we want to transition it into. Wanted to capture the consumer side first and then transition.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Do you think a short video on the homepage would help get that point across. The message I want to convey is that hashtags are powerful, now you can wear them, not just talk about them, but Im struggling with the right way to convey that.
Absolutely a vid would make sense

The part I bolded isn't a bad start
Just in what way powerful, a powerful way to communicate movements, ideas etc, add that in the explaination about why your customer should wear them.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Almost a necessity.
PM me if you need help or any ideas to make the vid work.

Joshy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jun 26, 2014
This is a great idea!

It would be good to see the transition from you guys choosing what the # each week, to letting customers request a custom # that you can then create for them.

P.s - I really like the idea that @MarkNNelson suggest. I think you'd be able to sell a large quantity of the desk ornaments

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
In my opinion users should be able to tell what they get from your site as soon as it loads
i also struggled to figure what your site was and what it was about

Just keep those 3 little questions in mind when it comes to design to decrease your bounce rate

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Whats an NSF tag? It sounds really interesting, Im just not sure what it is. Thanks

GREAT QUESTION! In fact NSF tags....are nothing haha, I did not use the correct acronym.

NFC tags on the other hand are an actual product that I meant to talk about. They are little stickers or actual tags/tiles/pokerchips etc that have a certain command built in so when you tap your smart phone to it an action automatically takes place. They are used by power smartphone users right now but they'll eventually become a much bigger item as our homes become connected.

Example: NFC tag on your night stand, touching your phone to it might set your alarm, silence your phone, and put up an autoresponder on your email address.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
You already addressed it above and I think it's a great idea, letting customers choose what they want. If you want to follow Seth Godins advice get the customers and then build the product.

I think personally, it would be a great idea to start that sooner rather than later. Here's why. If you advertise enough and allow people to vote on their favorite trending hashtag then after they vote, show the minimum order number, and make it easy for them to share it via their own social networks via clickable buttons. They'll want the product so badly they'll become your salesmen! If you just choose the hashtag and the products yourself you're firing into the dark and hoping to hit the target. Let them show you the target and then blow that mfer up!

Also just my side note, make sure to make your social contact information readily available, I see it at the bottom of the screen but I had to look twice. Given the nature of your business the first and last thing I should see and remember is that you're connected on twitter, facebook, etc.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
How can i get a business off the ground? Internet business i mean.. i am 18 and i really want to get a business started before i finish from the university and chase my entrepreneurial dreams fully.... any advice would be greatly appreciated for a nigerian like me. I just have no idea of any online business i can do.. i feel that theres so much competition in many niches and e-commerce sites too... i have passion for soccer though but competition all the same. I saw a quote from Rockefeller and he was like, "competition is sin" and it has really been in my mindset. Is that quote worth adhering to? Is it even possible to run something profitable with $100 or less?
Really dude?

StartupsRFun

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jul 2, 2013
GREAT QUESTION! In fact NSF tags....are nothing haha, I did not use the correct acronym.

NFC tags on the other hand are an actual product that I meant to talk about. They are little stickers or actual tags/tiles/pokerchips etc that have a certain command built in so when you tap your smart phone to it an action automatically takes place. They are used by power smartphone users right now but they'll eventually become a much bigger item as our homes become connected.

Example: NFC tag on your night stand, touching your phone to it might set your alarm, silence your phone, and put up an autoresponder on your email address.

Wow those would be incredibly useful to use. Do you have any experience using them on products?

EnglandBorn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 24, 2014
Here's the solution for you.

Get on the phone and start calling businesses in your area. Just choose a couple of niches that make money, construction, marketing agencies, accountants, etc.

Tell them you are doing research for a project - you are an aspiring entrepreneur looking to start a business that will help people like them.

Ask them questions about their business - find out what tasks they do on a daily basis and ask them what annoys them about it, what tasks are frustrating, what tasks aren't being doing as efficiently as possible, are there areas of double data entry, what things would they like to able to do but can't right now? Etc. etc.

Be curious. When they come up with a frustration, dig deeper. Ask them what exactly is frustrating about it, ask them what solution they would imagine for it. Really dig deep into the problem - try to understand it as much as possible.

You want to find a problem that is very specific. The first frustrations they will tell you might be "get more customers". That is too broad. Dig deeper. What specifically about their sales process is frustrating? Eventually you'll get to something like "don't have time to follow up with people who don't respond to first cold email" (in this example).

Great, then you have a problem you can fix for them. Ask them how much money they are losing by not being able to do this and then offer them a solution that will cost them a smaller percentage of the money you will save them. Then get them to pay upfront for it and then create the solution. Perhaps it will be software, perhaps it will be something else.

Yes it is difficult, uncomfortable and will push you out of your comfort zone. But hey, no-one says this is supposed to be easy.

Business is a people game, your chances of building a successful internet business (or any business) without speaking to any people is like my chance of sleeping with Marion Coutillard (gorgeous French actress). F*cking slim chance.

Oh, and the best advice I can give to you is to do this without knowing all the answers before hand.

Intelligent people don't suceed because they spend their entire lives trying to work out the "what ifs". Dumber people succeed because they just step up to the plate and start swinging without knowing all the answers. They just trust and hope they will work it out along the way (and they normally do).

Yeah...whats wrong with what i just said?

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Maybe you need a simple and quick sales proposition

Have something you want to say? Want others to get on board?
Buy our hashtag accessories, so the people you meet, go home and think about the tag you had on your phone, your tie, your xyz.
Get them thinking
And let them identify with those thoughts through the image of you

Because that way, your pitch can give a cta, and encourage people to start using.

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
So a buddy and myself decided we would start a brainless idea, which of course goes against almost every business book youll ever read, but we told ourselves lets not think, lets just do it. So we came up with the idea for www.HashtagSpot.com. We sell custom hashtag products, that are only available for a limited time, and must reach an order minimum before we will create and ship them out. We didnt want to be like Zazzle and some of the other companies, where you could get a hashtag printed onto the back of a product, we wanted the products to be unique, and that would hopefully get peoples attention (and of course that they would want). Thought process, hashtags are powerful, people use them and they become the voice of movements, why not showcase that in the real world. Literally the only thought process that we used.

It took us a few days to get the site up, because we didnt labor over design, or spend weeks trying to perfect the idea, we just went for it. We "launched" two days ago, and we chose a controversial hashtag, that has at the least gotten people to talk about us on social media.

Now we have the opportunity to sit back and look at things, and our goal is to continue to test out the viability of the idea, and look at how we can really market it, so that we can consistently hit our goals for each hashtag we put up, or maybe well learn we have to pivot, or ultimately maybe well find there just isnt a market around what we are trying to do. The great thing about this and I certainly wouldnt always use this strategy, is that A. there wasnt a huge investment cost (we have manufactures overseas ready to make the products as soon as we give them the go) and B. We didnt spend a lot of time, which of course there is pros and cons for.

Would love to know what other think about it, any suggestions, additional ideas, really anything you see.

Cool website idea. One thing though, [HASHTAG]#ISUPPORTISRAEL[/HASHTAG] is your feature product.

With the tragic events currently taking place, maybe a hash tag like that could deter potential customers... about 1.6 billion of them, if you catch my drift.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.