The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Minimum cost of publishing a Ebook?

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Hey guys,

So I written my first book months ago, but have just had it sitting on computer because it needs to be edited, and a cover needs to be made and I need a website....ext. I've put the book on hold so I can get a job to fund the expenses of publishing the book, but that has gotten me no where. So I wanted to know whats the minimum amount of money I can spend and get my ebook out there for sale? This is my first time trying out publishing so I would love some advice. Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
$0. Create a cover on MS paint, edit to the best of your abilities, and upload it to Amazon.

If you don't get any downloads you can work on the description and change the cover / re-upload.

Work with what you have

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Hey guys,

So I written my first book months ago, but have just had it sitting on computer because it needs to be edited, and a cover needs to be made and I need a website....ext. I've put the book on hold so I can get a job to fund the expenses of publishing the book, but that has gotten me no where. So I wanted to know whats the minimum amount of money I can spend and get my ebook out there for sale? This is my first time trying out publishing so I would love some advice. Thanks in advance.
I don't understand. We have dozens of members posting about how they published their work and you can't figure it out. You've done the hard part, what's the real problem finishing it?

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
I don't understand. We have dozens of members posting about how they published their work and you can't figure it out. You've done the hard part, what's the real problem finishing it?
I honestly don't know. My mind is just making this feel like rocket science for some reason. "You need a sales page, you need seo, you need a website but you don't know how to code...ect". After reading so many books, I guess it's all the things I KNOW, I DON'T know ,that's making this feel harder than it needs to be.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
I stumbled upon this guys stuff a while back... He "writes" ebooks for a living.

You need a cover?

Try fiverr.com

All of the other stuff you need you could probably get it there too.

Outsource what you don't know.

There are plenty of websites for this. fiverr, elance, odesk, freelancer.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
You need a sales page, you need seo, you need a website but you don't know how to code...ect
Put it on Amazon. They will handle the sales page and SEO for you. Done within the hour.
Browse through some interviews by Pat Flynn at smartpassiveincome.com for more ideas

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I published an ebook for $0 and it made a few thousand dollars a month.

1. Get a FREE webpage (there are hundreds of them out there, pick one)
  2. Get a PAYPAL BUTTON (This isn't hard to figure out, google it)
  3. Get a FREE dropbox account
  4. Have your paypal button redirect to your download link (it's all within the paypal button creator on paypal.com)
  5. Create a cover yourself or get one created on fiverr.
Getting your book up there isn't the hard part. You can LITERALLY have everything you need in just 30 mins.
Stop getting in your own way.

Aimee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
409%
Mar 3, 2014
Buy a stock image for $1 on dollarphotoclub and get someone on fiverr to make you a cover for $5 or download Picasa for free and play around with it a bit if you can't afford to do that, then publish it. The best advertisement for your book if you can't afford much is just to write another book, so once you've published your first one, get to work on writing the next. Rinse and repeat. :)

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
Amazon Kindle is the easiest way to put your ebook up for sale. You can up load it for free. They have some cover themes you can use for free. they aren't great, but they are better than a book on your hard drive that isn't for sale.

I put my first ebook on Kindle using one of the free covers just to get it up there. I went back later and changed it to a design I had done by some guy on fiver. I have another one (antique book with forward by me) up with one of their stock covers and it's selling just fine.

Get the book up for sale. Do you need a sight? Sure, but you can build a site to push sales after you have it on kindle. Do you need a good cover? Do you need to think SEO, do you need to _____. Quit stalling. Just put the damn thing up there. It's easy to go back and tweak the system, when there is a system to tweak. If you haven't done it yet, go to Amazon and follow the instructions. Just type "kdp" (short for kindle direct publishing) into the search bar and follow along. It's just exactly like singing along with a crowd of drunks. You don't need to know squat. Just pretend you do and everything will be just fine.

Please, please oh please; let your next post be "I published....."

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Amazon Kindle is the easiest way to put your ebook up for sale. You can up load it for free. They have some cover themes you can use for free. they aren't great, but they are better than a book on your hard drive that isn't for sale.

I put my first ebook on Kindle using one of the free covers just to get it up there. I went back later and changed it to a design I had done by some guy on fiver. I have another one (antique book with forward by me) up with one of their stock covers and it's selling just fine.

Get the book up for sale. Do you need a sight? Sure, but you can build a site to push sales after you have it on kindle. Do you need a good cover? Do you need to think SEO, do you need to _____. Quit stalling. Just put the damn thing up there. It's easy to go back and tweak the system, when there is a system to tweak. If you haven't done it yet, go to Amazon and follow the instructions. Just type "kdp" (short for kindle direct publishing) into the search bar and follow along. It's just exactly like singing along with a crowd of drunks. You don't need to know squat. Just pretend you do and everything will be just fine.

Please, please oh please; let your next post be "I published....."
Will do my friend. Thanks for the advice ^ ^

Unknown

Fastlane-ish
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 31, 2014
Normally I would say 0, but (and I'm not trying to be mean at all) you might want to spend at least a little money to get someone to check for grammar mistakes.

G

GuestUser113

Hey guys,

$0. Create a cover on MS paint, edit to the best of your abilities, and upload it to Amazon.

If you don't get any downloads you can work on the description and change the cover / re-upload.

Work with what you have

Buy a stock image for $1 on dollarphotoclub and get someone on fiverr to make you a cover for $5 or download Picasa for free and play around with it a bit if you can't afford to do that, then publish it. The best advertisement for your book if you can't afford much is just to write another book, so once you've published your first one, get to work on writing the next. Rinse and repeat. :)

@JahvonCreamCone - You are making this way too hard buddy. Get out of your own way. No trolling pictures for your thread by me. I will help you out in some way or another. If this Hugh Howey video helps you. Great!

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
@JahvonCreamCone - You are making this way too hard buddy. Get out of your own way. No trolling pictures for your thread by me. I will help you out in some way or another. If this Hugh Howey video helps you. Great!

Thanks Raoul, gonna watch it as soon as I can!

robbydeletter

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 18, 2014
Normally I would say 0, but (and I'm not trying to be mean at all) you might want to spend at least a little money to get someone to check for grammar mistakes.
And that's the problem because they ask a lot of money. For a book of 80000 words they ask 1K for revising it. And that's just one round.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
Don't waste any more time or money!
Edit it yourself, I'm starting an online course just for beginners like you and me!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUK9tzvCLWuSkFVX8tDcghCzZgc2arFBA

Yeah yeah, I know the audio sucks in vid2, was my first try - it's getting better with each version.

So to sum up the great advice from the others:
1.Get a good looking cover! Probably the most important part. (Yes you GOTTA have a professional looking cover! So use Fivver if you have to or Aimee's method - btw Aimee is killing it! Follow her!)
2.Format your doc yourself (see my vids above)
3.Upload to Amazon.

Do that tonight!
If it wasn't stupid Christmas time I would make the cover for you,
check out my website
www.zbooks.co
ALL THAT FOR FREE

PM me after the holidays and I will set you up with a website like that for FREE - no shit!

p.s. Oh-- the domain name wasn't free, that costs a whopping 3.99$ per year.

JahvonCreamCone

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Nov 9, 2013
Queens, New York
Don't waste any more time or money!
Edit it yourself, I'm starting an online course just for beginners like you and me!
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUK9tzvCLWuSkFVX8tDcghCzZgc2arFBA

Yeah yeah, I know the audio sucks in vid2, was my first try - it's getting better with each version.

So to sum up the great advice from the others:
1.Get a good looking cover! Probably the most important part. (Yes you GOTTA have a professional looking cover! So use Fivver if you have to or Aimee's method - btw Aimee is killing it! Follow her!)
2.Format your doc yourself (see my vids above)
3.Upload to Amazon.

Do that tonight!
If it wasn't stupid Christmas time I would make the cover for you,
check out my website
www.zbooks.co
ALL THAT FOR FREE

PM me after the holidays and I will set you up with a website like that for FREE - no shit!

p.s. Oh-- the domain name wasn't free, that costs a whopping 3.99$ per year.
Wow! Thanks man! I"m going to edit that son ofa gun myself. Thanks for all the recources! I'm gonna go through them all tonight. I'll be sure to shoot you a PM! Thanks again pal! =D

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
How did you get traffic?
Contacted the people ranking above me in Google, told them I'd split profit 50/50 with them if they put banners to my book on their site.

They did. We both made some money.

Grinning-Jack

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Mar 8, 2015
I published an ebook for $0 and it made a few thousand dollars a month.

1. Get a FREE webpage (there are hundreds of them out there, pick one)
  2. Get a PAYPAL BUTTON (This isn't hard to figure out, google it)
  3. Get a FREE dropbox account
  4. Have your paypal button redirect to your download link (it's all within the paypal button creator on paypal.com)
  5. Create a cover yourself or get one created on fiverr.
Getting your book up there isn't the hard part. You can LITERALLY have everything you need in just 30 mins.
Stop getting in your own way.
How much your ebook cost? The thread is old, however, I'd be happy to get your reply, please.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.