The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Millionaire by 30

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
I v been lurking on this forum for sometime now. I have read the fastlane book. I Read a couple of them too.
I decided after reading the book I want to start my own business. From my part of the world (Ghana in Africa) starting a business is very difficult.
Our address system is bad so my delivery business failed. Internet business is still under construction here in Ghana cos its very expensive and people cant afford.
Wanted to produce customise stationary for schools and corporate bodies. It also failed cos I had no capital n there was no local printers here. Undertaking this business required huge capital (shipping cost, clearing duty alone discouraged people to invest in an inexperienced wanabe entrepreneur.
I sat down to ask my self this question, will I achieve my goal "WEALTHY BY 30"? I v 6 yrs to achieve that.
A lot of graduates in Africa want to start businesses, solve the needs of people, change the world, but the economic conditions dont allow us. As I speak I am 24 yrs working as an account clerk earning 100usd in a month. (I doubt u will believe) but thats how my part of world pay college grads. I want to be different. Not wait till 60 or 70 to be rich.
How do I take the right decisions to make a difference and help others too?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Viral

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Nov 18, 2013
Estonia
Yes it is true that the wage is very low, but someone once tough me to not raise up issues without solutions.I know you have friends and family there most likely, but would you consider working outside of your current region all together.Is there something you can do about it, if not that this is just an excuse,excuses won't get you far.

Try to look for more good in things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Ghana

The economy of Ghana, has a diverse and rich resource base with a primary manufacturing and exportation of digital technology goods combined with automotive and ship construction and exportation, as well as exportation of diverse and rich resource hydrocarbons, industrial minerals among many others makes Ghana attain one of the highest GDP per capita in Africa.[12][13] Ghana is one of the top-ten fastest growing economies in the world, and the fastest growing economy in Africa.[12]

The Ghanaian domestic economy in 2012 revolved around services, which accounts for 50% of GDP and employs 28% of the work force. Growing output towards economic industrialization has made Ghana remain one of the more economically sound countries in all of Africa

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
Yes it is true that the wage is very low, but someone once tough me to not raise up issues without solutions.I know you have friends and family there most likely, but would you consider working outside of your current region all together.Is there something you can do about it, if not that this is just an excuse,excuses won't get you far.

Try to look for more good in things

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Ghana

The economy of Ghana, has a diverse and rich resource base with a primary manufacturing and exportation of digital technology goods combined with automotive and ship construction and exportation, as well as exportation of diverse and rich resource hydrocarbons, industrial minerals among many others makes Ghana attain one of the highest GDP per capita in Africa.[12][13] Ghana is one of the top-ten fastest growing economies in the world, and the fastest growing economy in Africa.[12]

The Ghanaian domestic economy in 2012 revolved around services, which accounts for 50% of GDP and employs 28% of the work force. Growing output towards economic industrialization has made Ghana remain one of the more economically sound countries in all of Africa
I live in Accra the capital town. Ghana is a fast growing economy in Africa as at 2012. Things are not the same as it in 2014. We need IMF bailout before we can survive.
There are lots of business opportunities here trust me. The problem is it is difficult to Start a business here with low income n no investors. Africa unlike Eu or US are now understanding internet businesses which are easy to start.
Most of my friends are found in similar situations. They v no options than work for that amount.
If you not from a rich home or dont know anyone in authority its difficult to get a contract or gain a good paying job.

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
I wanted to travel to Europe or US to v ma masters on scholarship since I cant afford tuition fees n work for a while to save to start up my business. Scholarship and visa processing is another hell of a time. It is extremely difficult to get a visa.

Jam Wheel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jul 14, 2014
UK/US/SE
A few things here.

Regarding the Millionaire by 30 thing - its great to have goals, but when the self-imposed pressure of those goals can cause you do not see or dismiss opportunity because you can't, at this moment, see the clear path to $$$ by 30, thats when they don't help as much. There could be an opportunity right under your nose that seems small, but with who knows what (infrastructure, new technologies emerging that allow Africa to skip a development stage, etc) applied in the short term future, if you are positioned well and first then you will be able to capitalize faster and more successfully than anyone else. I would suggest laying aside the huge goal and instead focus on providing value for a certain group instead, regardless of the opportunity.

Next, you have challenges that a lot of others on this forum don't currently have, which are going to force you to think outside the box and far more creatively. You have a large market of people with likely similar needs, who can pay little, so you will have to make a volume play, compared to high pricing and small, select market. Is there any daily occurrence folks would pay a small amount for you to solve for them or make easier? The thing is that your opportunity doesn't just exist in Ghana, but also probably in other African states as well, thereby increasing your market considerably. You also may have to go far more analogue than digital given your market constraints. It doesn't make your efforts less than any others, but starting something now will connect you to people and learn more about needs, etc, that you will also be able to solve.

Good luck - I played soccer with a bunch of Ghanians who were living and working in IT/Sales in the US and they were a fun bunch of people.

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
Thanks very much. Let me give u an insight of what i started. I wanted to make life comfortable for a lot of the working class since we have no online shopping system here. The bad address system and some attitude of some Ghanaians deter people doing such business. I stated Splitsec meaning SPLIT SECOND delivery company. Our main goal is to create a platform where people will just call or visit our website and order for stuffs they want either online or through a phone call.
Ghanaians and Africans are very picky. Some laws don't work here do they exist. Someone can just call u and order for a product but will end up not buying or making fun of u. U cant take them on or make them pay for cost of transportation.
I want to start an ebay/ups system in Ghana first and Other African states earlier. I had no capital to even start the website. I started using social media for my advertisment. i created a business instagram and twitter account @official_splitsecgh. I also used bulk sms to inform people about it.
I had my first order to deliver a camera which i couldn't cos it was out of stock in shops in Ghana. Suppliers wont give you the product for you to deliver to clients. Fear clients won't also buy cos of the picky attitude of Ghanaians. It is a difficult continet to start business if u dont have enough resources. I sent some mails to some investors but no one wants to help because of these issues.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
If you not from a rich home or dont know anyone in authority its difficult to get a contract or gain a good paying job.
Self fulfilling prophecy.

All you are saying is doom and gloom, what you can't do or why everything is difficult. It is easy to see that you have many obstacles to overcome. You need to overcome them though.

What will it take for you to be able to move to another location? Keep in mind that other locations are going to have their own obstacles to overcome.

You have the right idea on direction. Your mind is throwing blockades in your way.

Last edited:

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
I thought Corey Wadden was back when I read the title..

haha me too, kind of hoping for that. I even had a logo pictured in my mind.. with the 25 slashed out and 30 there :) Could be a good idea for him

Lol

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Man, look up who is rich already, someone who already overcame all the obstacles your talking about, and go spend time with him.
Work for him for free, sleep outside his door if you have to.

Learn how he did it, then do it.

I promise there are atleast some people in your life that you know that are making good $, that started from where you are.
Find them.

Gero1913

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 7, 2014
If internet is very expensive in your country and people aren't able to for example check something on the net/download a game or watch a movie i suggest you to buy many DVDs from Asia and start copying movies/encyclopedies and so on and then selling it. I am from eastern Europe and i made some decent money on this while being in elementary school so if i could do this you can do it to. Good luck man!

Of course it won't make you a millionaire but it should make you some money and with money it will be much easier to establish something more serious.

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
Why are you thinking only locally? You're posting here, which means you got a computer and an internet connection. Just using simple hustling stuff and affiliate marketing you could make your monthly wage several times over in a single day... That could be your bootstrap money for something bigger, which again, doesn't need to be local. Think bigger

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
The address system will take a while to be solve since most houses are not well situated.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
There you go. Improve it.
I was going to say the same. You have a golden opportunity here. Start a delivery service which is reliable.

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
The address system will take a while to be solve since most houses are not well situated.
Taking a while doesn't mean that it is impossible
And secondly, there is one way of situating every single point on this planet and this is the long/lat coordinates and this is quite easy to get from anywhere. Get people to tell you where they want their stuff delivered, get your starting point and create your system in between.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Why are you thinking only locally? You're posting here, which means you got a computer and an internet connection. Just using simple hustling stuff and affiliate marketing you could make your monthly wage several times over in a single day... That could be your bootstrap money for something bigger, which again, doesn't need to be local. Think bigger

Good post.

You can make $2000-5000 USD/month just by learning how to do wordpress websites.

Step 1: Watch this:

Step 2: Advertise on www.craigslist.com, www.kijiji.ca by creating an Ad

Step 3: Download Photoshop, and create ads for them.

If all this really too tough, just download SoThink Logo Maker ( http://www.sothink.com/product/logo-maker/ )

And begin creating Logos for people, and advertise on www.fiverr.com

You can make $20-50/day from that alone if you do 2-5 jobs a day.

Stop making excuses and do it man.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Millionaire by 30

How about 30 bucks by next week?

I'm really starting to loathe threads like these as they are derivatives of "what color Ferrari should I buy when I'm rich?"

If you can't figure out how to make $30 by next week, I doubt you'll ever figure out millionaire by 30.

What I'm saying is this: Stop thinking about millions, start thinking about mere value exchanges, the type of value exchange that will put $30 in your pocket by next week. That is the first step to millions. I got to imagine that in less industrialized societies, the needs are everywhere. What we take for granted here in Western culture probably needs improving there.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
'Wealthy by 30' is a shitty goal. Change it to something more concrete. "I want to make $100,000 by next year by starting and growing a business that solves a real need in my country. I want to grow it to $1 million in annual sales in 3 years and I want to exit the company by selling it for at least $10 million later down the line". Not great, but better than what you have right now.

You're living in Ghana? I'm kinda jealous of you. You're in an emerging market in one of the richest countries on the continent. There's opportunity abound, and thanks to rampant corruption, any sort of regulation is only a slight inconvenience instead of an honest-to-god stopping point.

I don't think you need to leave your country. Open your eyes to local opportunities and don't be afraid of competition or the government.

Also, don't be afraid to start small. Even though you might not have a lot of money today, starting on something that will make you money will set you up well for the future.

Oil is growing over there, telecom is growing over there, and from what I've heard, most middle-class people own mobile phones. That's somewhere to start.

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
what will you guys recommend i do concerning my delivery company. I am starting with barely under 120usd and an old VW golf gti as my delivery van. I have been able to register my company Splitsec Ghana Limited (SGL) Where do i start from? Any advice?

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
You can easily get people to tell you their gps location (where you will have to deliver the stuff).
They just need to have internet access and use http://mygeoposition.com. You have a button there which gives you your geolocation. If they don't have internet, I am sure they can find somewhere with internet access that can do as drop point close to where they are.
Then buy a gps (about a hundred bucks) and get someone to deliver the stuff from where you are.
The critical point is to get people to use your services but if the delivery service is as crap as you say, it shouldn't be hard to present the good arguments (accurate delivery anywhere, no parcel lost, quick delivery...)

Now it is your turn: go out and get things done :)

jaxon 24

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
May 16, 2014
Legon
You can easily get people to tell you their gps location (where you will have to deliver the stuff).
They just need to have internet access and use http://mygeoposition.com. You have a button there which gives you your geolocation. If they don't have internet, I am sure they can find somewhere with internet access that can do as drop point close to where they are.
Then buy a gps (about a hundred bucks) and get someone to deliver the stuff from where you are.
The critical point is to get people to use your services but if the delivery service is as crap as you say, it shouldn't be hard to present the good arguments (accurate delivery anywhere, no parcel lost, quick delivery...)

Now it is your turn: go out and get things done :)
Really appreciate it. What marketing technique is recommended for start ups in such an industry?

Roland

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Aug 24, 2013
UK
I am afraid you are going to have to try a few things by yourself. Some things can be working here and not there and vice versa. Go out and figure it out by yourself.

Last edited:

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Good post.

You can make $2000-5000 USD/month just by learning how to do wordpress websites.

Step 1: Watch this:

Step 2: Advertise on www.craigslist.com, www.kijiji.ca by creating an Ad

Step 3: Download Photoshop, and create ads for them.

If all this really too tough, just download SoThink Logo Maker ( http://www.sothink.com/product/logo-maker/ )

And begin creating Logos for people, and advertise on www.fiverr.com

You can make $20-50/day from that alone if you do 2-5 jobs a day.

Stop making excuses and do it man.

Thanks for the info!

Quick question: How much would you charge a client for a wordpress website?

* The method you stated above could make me a "small fortune" in my city. This could easily wind up being a small offline business as well.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
How much would you charge a client for a wordpress website?

About $500-$1500 for a good quality one.

Actually be good at it, most people will throw up a shitty site and immediately ask for the money.
Don't ask for money, just work hard to understand them, their business, and their needs.

Find a GOOD theme, use it, edit it so they love it.

Learn some marketing skills, like how to integrate email lists, copywriting, and most importantly how to run paid traffic. You can hit $20K/month no problem with not a lot of work.

Mind you, it takes time to get good, so start now.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
About $500-$1500 for a good quality one.

Actually be good at it, most people will throw up a shitty site and immediately ask for the money.
Don't ask for money, just work hard to understand them, their business, and their needs.

Find a GOOD theme, use it, edit it so they love it.

Learn some marketing skills, like how to integrate email lists, copywriting, and most importantly how to run paid traffic. You can hit $20K/month no problem with not a lot of work.

Mind you, it takes time to get good, so start now.

Thanks!

By any chance do you tell the client that it's made in wordpress or that they have to choose a theme? (would you show them "samples" of what it is that you will deliver?)

I can imagine the client asking for a website to be modeled after one that appeals to him. In this case, the website may have been created on something other than wordpress, thus making it difficult to replicate something that will please him.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
In this case, the website may have been created on something other than wordpress, thus making it difficult to replicate something that will please him.

Yeah just agree on the general layout of the site, then tell them you'll find something similar.
You must have them understand that you a professional and you know what works better for their site.

Find out what sites they like, and then think how you can take that same layout and improve it, make people buy more, etc. and find a simliar theme.
Maybe add a woocommerce shopping cart, or a better looking slider.

Add value!!!

P.s here: http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress and elegantthemes.com

Check out themes called the7 and AVADA. AVADA is awesome, easy to use and looks great.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.