The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Met the Starter of Tee Spring Today

Anything related to matters of the mind

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
... and my brain exploded.

Kidding.

His name is Evan, looked like a regular college kid with a beard and crappy clothes.

He went to Brown, I live near Brown, I go to a coffee shop near Brown, he was there...near Brown.

The first question I asked him, "Dude wheres the Lambo, out back?"

Kidding.

I asked him "So at what point did you chose the color of your Lambo, when you made your first dollar right?"

Kidding, again.

I was shocked, here I am, struggling to get a steady income to pay my 350 / month rent.

And I'm meeting, for the first time in my life, a multi millionaire, whos a kid.

Let's be real for 5 seconds, most people dont do shit with their life. They chose to work for someone else making pennies, struggling like everyone else financially, complaining about how hard life is and who they work with.

And I meet someone who actually built something.

Someone who actually created something of value.

Someone who actually provides value to thousands of people.

I wasn't going to be a needy value leech and start asking him a thousand questions about how he did it or how many heads he stepped on to get to the top. I looked him in the eye, said good job, pleasure meeting you, and left.

Then I searched out back for the Lambo.... couldn't find it.

Kidding.

Not sure what the point of this thread was supposed to be.

Anyway, quite an awesome experience, I may never forget it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Moral of the story: build some tangible FL skills, become a man of Value, so you have something to offer to a potential business connection besides a "good job, pleasure meeting you."

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Moral of the story: build some tangible FL skills, become a man of Value, so you have something to offer to a potential business connection besides a "good job, pleasure meeting you."
Personally I think It's interesting you went straight to the "Offer him something so I can get something in return".

Become a man of value so you can offer him something yeah yeah blah blah, no shit.

You know how many "men of value" offer him things on an hourly basis? Im sure all of them have value, guess what, he's ignoring them.

Gee I wonder how many guys look him in the eye with an authentic smile and a "good job, it was truly a pleasure meeting you" without expecting absolutely nothing in return...

Put me in coach I know the answer!

1 person

Me.

Why do you always think you have to offer everyone something, if you don't, you think your not a "man of value"...

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Personally I think It's interesting you went straight to the "Offer him something so I can get something in return".

Become a man of value so you can offer him something yeah yeah blah blah, no shit.

You know how many "men of value" offer him things on an hourly basis? Im sure all of them have value, guess what, he's ignoring them.

Gee I wonder how many guys look him in the eye with an authentic smile and a "good job, it was truly a pleasure meeting you" without expecting absolutely nothing in return...

Put me in coach I know the answer!

1 person

Me.

Why do you always think you have to offer everyone something, if you don't, you think your not a "man of value"...
No dude. Purge that sappy shit from your mind. It's a dog eat dog world when you come right down to it. And those who make it to the top know it better than anyone. "Everybody respects the bold, no one respects the timid."

Here's how you hustle:

Me and my friend at a gun range. I strike up a conversation with a guy, turns out he owns 4 car dealerships in the area. Unassuming millionaire. After shooting the shit about the business (we flipped cars at the time) we immediately start asking him if he needs any help. Any business owner worth his salt is always trying to grow bigger, so he tells us he's looking for someone to set up his call center and a good salesman. Done F*cking deal, I tell him I've done it before (white lie, I was just going to school for IT) and my friend sells himself into salesman position. Fast forward to now: the man has working call center which I got commission for; my friend is selling multiple cars a week for $300-1000 in his pocket; we both got to drive some nice rides from their lot and played golf with the owner and his high-roller friend who gave us a Need by complaining that he spends $40000 in marketing online every month but would like to spend more if there was a ROI.

But I could have just said "good job" and gave him a handshake, from your logic.

Read the book called "What makes Sammy run?", it will change your life. And "48 laws of power."

Last edited:

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
my brain exploded
a few minutes ago.

You can find quite a few videos online with titles like "make 6 figures with teespring". Those vids look professional made, and they contain tempting copy, things like:
  • six figure income - a month!
  • no risk, no startup cost
  • work at home
You get the idea.

Is it possible, that those videos are created by teespring themselves?
I do think so.

It's like they are giving away picks and shovels with a built-in gold detector, for free.
All they ask for is a small percentage of the gold you dig out.

It's...beautiful:greedy:

So yeah, good job.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I get your point, but he's right. What I mean is: you didn't want to be a leech, and that is noble - but saying hi and leaving is still a missed opportunity.
Connecting with someone who is up there is the whole game. It's a damn waste of an opportunity. It's not simply about "getting something" - a man like that in your circle can teach you a lot just by hanging out.
Is it possible, that those videos are created by teespring themselves?
I do think so.
I had the same thought when I looked into TeeSpring. If they are, they have my most sincere admiration. top notch shovel-selling.

BigBrianC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Dec 31, 2014
Athens, Georgia
You don't think he would have listened if you approached him with:

"Great job, I love the service. If you have just one second, before you can finish that coffee, I can tell you about"
"an algorithm that can decrease your cost of servers"
"a marketing strategy that gets me astronomical ROI"
etc. etc. etc.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Done F*cking deal, I tell him I've done it before

This is something I simply cannot bring myself to do.

I cannot make a single lie in business, however little. On several occasions it has hindered my progress.

I tell myself that once I've built up good skills and have a valuable thing going, integrity will make people respect and trust me.

I question myself about this a lot.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego

I cannot make a single lie in business, however little. On several occasions it has hindered my progress.

I tell myself that once I've built up good skills and have a valuable thing going, integrity will make people respect and trust me.

It's most definitely holding you back.

However there is a difference between being a "hustler" and "grinder":
Hustler (Extreme example: Jordan Belfort) - will close the sale, but not deliver, deliver partially or scam you. F*ck people like that.
Grinder (Extreme example: all the nobodies that never made a sale) - will never think they are ready enough to put their value out there.

Being somewhere in the middle is where successful entrepreneurs are in my opinion. Hustle for sales and then grind to get them done. When I started my current online gig I would lose money on every sale just to fulfill what I promised to customers.

The key is when you're losing your own money or have to deliver to customers YESTERDAY you learn 100x faster than while you're "building up skills". You're learning ONLY WHAT YOU NEED to deliver value.

A lot of times it feels like you're flying by the seat of your pants, scared as shit. But at the same time it's exhilarating because risk taking is in every real entrepreneur's DNA. It's the feeling of freedom.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I cannot make a single ie in business, however little. On several occasions it has hindered my progress.

Don't lie. Say with confidence "I can do that for you."

People want to work with people who get stuff done. Whether you do it yourself or get someone else to do it doesn't matter. Whether you have done it before or not matters less than you think.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Being somewhere in the middle is where successful entrepreneurs are in my opinion. Hustle for sales and then grind to get them done. When I started my current online gig I would lose money on every sale just to fulfill what I promised to customers.
I'm with you on this. Say yes, then figure out how to deliver. Sink or swim.
You can read all the books, talk to all the mentors, whatever. Nothing beats experience. A punch taken in the streets will teach more than a million sparring sessions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.