The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Maximizing your time

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
We are all given the same exact amount of time in the day. 24 hours. No more, no less, but if you can figure out how to get more done than anyone else in the day, congratulations you've just given yourself a huge advantage over every one else.

Having a job means if I want to run a successful business I have to learn how to maximize my time. Meaning doing as much as possible with the time each of us have each and every day. Especially if 9 hours of that time is taken by holding down a job.

I just wanted to share some of the way's I've learned to maximize my time, including some that I have tried personally with success and some that may not currently apply to myself but believe it may be beneficial to others. As a by product this thread will serve as a reference I can go back to, and it always helps to write things out.

Debt

The first way to free up time is to ensure you have the least amount of crap tied to debt. If you can sell it, do it and pay it off. If you have little to no debt, then you can entertain the idea of only a part-time job. Although we all have the same amount of time, we all have different debt. If you have no debt tied to crap, then you have no time you need to dedicate toward paying off crap. Crap being that new shiny car or boat that you really couldn't afford but bought it anyway. If you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it. Unless it's to live in or an absolutely required minimum point A to point B vehicle.

Sleep

I've gone months on end with less than 5 hours of sleep. This didn't work for me. I need my sleep to be productive otherwise I feel like crap and can't function as well as I should be. Some people can get by with only 4 hours of sleep and still feel productive. This is different for everyone but to be productive most of us need 7-8 hours of sleep. This is important for your productivity, so if your only getting a few hours a night even if it's with good intentions you may be being counter productive since our brains don't function as well without a proper amount of sleep. Also don't get more than 8 hours of sleep, you don't need it and it's actually not as good for you as 8.

Some have tried whats called the polyphasic sleep cycle and it is legit. This is a method you sleep multiple times a day instead of once to add up to a total of 4-6 hours of sleep opposed to the 7-8 hrs. Many schedules won't allow for it, but it works because our brain doesn't just have a 'sleep' and 'awake' state. There are multiple phases of sleep and it only really needs a few of them to function properly. It takes advantage of this fact and basically by taking what akins to multiple naps, forces the brain to go into deep sleep quicker but it takes time and dedication to adjust to. I haven't tried this personally so if anyone has please let me know if it's worked for you. NASA and some air-forces have done extensive research on this.

Also if your tired after lunch or at any point and may be tempted to chug down some caffeine, while some may think napping is a waste of time, studies have shown that a 20-min nap will increase productivity. The amount of time is crucial 10-20 minutes, not much more or less because of the phases of sleeping. If you get more you'll feel groggy, if you get less it won't do much.

Schedule

The schedule is the single most important aspect to control. Not in just what you do but were your doing it and what works for you. Not everything works for everyone. I used to leave for work at 8:30AM with a 1 hr. lunch, then was home by 6:00PM. At the time I was studying for my CCNA. The schedule I figured out that worked for me was, I got up and went to work by 5:00AM after eating breakfast. I used this time at work to study. I didn't stay home, I went to work to study. Why? Because when I tried to do it at home I ended up browsing the web, or wasting time with any number of distractions around the house. When I was at work it switched my mind into study mode.

During my 1-hr. lunch break I went to the gym down the street. This was a great schedule for me, by the time lunch was over I accomplished twice as much as everyone else at that time. I got in hours of studying & a workout and it was only lunch time while working a full time job. I got home at 6:00PM, ate dinner, read a book then was in bed by 8:30.

By the time I get home from work I just want to relax, I can get more done in the morning. Work takes it all out of me. Knowing this, in my current position that has no lunch hour I had the option of 2nd shift. So I took it, knowing my social life would suffer. I get up by 8AM, eat then go to Barnes & Nobles with free wifi & a laptop to work on my business. Leave for the gym by 1:15PM and am at work by 2:45PM. Get home at 11:30PM then repeat.

So by the time I even get to work, I've already worked on my business for 4 1/2 hours and even get a workout in before work every workday.

This took time and consistency and I had to take small steps toward this schedule but knew the goal and eventually built up to it. The key is lining up your habit towards something that works for you, to maximize the amount of productivity you will accomplish. If you know staying home you'll watch TV, go some were else. If you know you'll want to lay on the couch when you get home from work, wake up earlier and do it before work. Simple.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Nicoknowsbest

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
396%
Mar 31, 2014
Austria
This took time and consistency and I had to take small steps toward this schedule but knew the goal and eventually built up to it. The key is lining up your habit towards something that works for you, to maximize the amount of productivity you will accomplish. If you know staying home you'll watch TV, go some were else. If you know you'll want to lay on the couch when you get home from work, wake up earlier and do it before work. Simple.
Nice - I like it. Why don't you call it a system, instead of a schedule :) If you are not familiar with the difference between goals and systems, go check it out!

Concept

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Dec 12, 2014
Yeah, nice post. I'm the same. I find that working on my business before work is a lot more productive. I tried doing it after my 9-5 but got no where.

The other added bonus of focusing on the business before work is I feel like I have accomplished something before I even start my 9-5. I also find it is easier to relax and recharge at the end of the day because I don't have anything "hanging over my head" - it's all done.

I'm also very close to being debt free, so once I've saved up a safety buffer in savings I'll be going down to part time. Excited!

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Nice - I like it. Why don't you call it a system, instead of a schedule :) If you are not familiar with the difference between goals and systems, go check it out!

I prefer the words habits. Goals are one thing, habits are another. If you have the right habits it's easier to meet your goals. Habits can work for or against you, and they take small steps and time to build up. Once you grow the right ones, your goals are much easier to achieve because your habits work for you instead of against you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ClaytonAlbright

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Apr 25, 2015
Cumming, GA
Yeah, nice post. I'm the same. I find that working on my business before work is a lot more productive. I tried doing it after my 9-5 but got no where.

The other added bonus of focusing on the business before work is I feel like I have accomplished something before I even start my 9-5. I also find it is easier to relax and recharge at the end of the day because I don't have anything "hanging over my head" - it's all done.

I'm also very close to being debt free, so once I've saved up a safety buffer in savings I'll be going down to part time. Excited!

The thing about being in the slowlane with a good salary and responsibilities -- it's a different mindset than being single, living in an apt. with no mortgage to maintain, and little responsibility. It's a different mindset. If I was single with no responsibility other than myself -- unless you just say you know what I'm just going to cut everything off one day, which would be reckless unless you absolutely hate your life, sure it would be easy for me to take a part time job and move into a room that's $300/month and focus on my business. But I'm way past that. So having good habits is the best thing that works toward building a business.

There's an attitude of F*ck it all -- I'm just going to go balls deep into a business and not mind the consequences. Business fail A LOT. Even if your well prepared. You can end up in the hole big time very easily. I've been there.

Plan to win, but be prepared to fail, it's easy if it's just yourself, but if you have responsibilities it's reckless. I don't think that's been mentioned here enough. Sure you can hit a home run but chances are you will go through some failures so be prepared for that.

Last edited:

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
+1 to working in the morning before day job. Mine starts at 8am so I wake up at 6:30am and work for an hour. Makes me a whole lot more productive for the rest of the day.

I think that's also why Miracle Morning, going to the gym in the morning etc. works for people. It sets you up right for the day.

Lastly, there's definitely some truth to the theory that your will power gets depleted as the day goes by.

P.S. Some Gary V because he's cool.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.