The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for a way to monetize a building

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
Hi all,

My dad has a residential zoned property in Oregon. The property has a small house on it, which he rents out, but he built a large shop onto the property. The shop consists of three very large rooms, a storage attic, a bathroom, and a kitchenette. Each room has a separate entrance and the shop is on a well. The power is tied onto the house and does not have its own meter, the county wont even let us use it as an in-law quarters. My thoughts were that the really large back room with the kitchenette would make an awesome commercial kitchen, but of course my dad quickly pointed out that the county would never go for it.

I wanted to get some ideas from folks on how you monetized a spare residential building.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Glorydog

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jan 8, 2015
Northwest Arkansas
Have you looked into getting a separate meter with independent power supply? I'm not sure how your property is set up, but my dad had a shop that he started a cabinet business in at our last home. He made the building a separate property from the house, having it's own address (instead of 1008 Jones rd, it was 1008-B Jones rd), power supply and water. It may be feasible for your dad to do the same.

Have you guys considered re-zoning the shop? It may be possible if you can make it up to code for the county.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.