The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Looking for a mentor already in the Fastlane

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
So it’s my DREAM to become a stay at home mom, and run my own successful online business. I’ve been involved with internet marketing for a little over 3 years, and have tried it ALL practically, but haven’t had any one method stick enough to make me more than a couple of bucks.

My main problem is that I’m constantly coming up with “new” and “better” ideas and starting new projects before I work on my current ones long enough to see results. I also struggle with getting traffic.

I’ve heard the time over and over “Copy Success. Copy what works”. So that’s what I’d like to do… if anyone has an online Fastlane business that they’d be willing to share with me and help me get to the level of success you’re at I’d be forever grateful. I think I would really benefit from having a mentor to keep me accountable and “on track”. Someone to slap me silly if I get any more ideas instead of sticking to the ones I already have.

Anyone up for the challenge? :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser113

So it’s my DREAM to become a stay at home mom, and run my own successful online business. I’ve been involved with internet marketing for a little over 3 years, and have tried it ALL practically, but haven’t had any one method stick enough to make me more than a couple of bucks.

My main problem is that I’m constantly coming up with “new” and “better” ideas and starting new projects before I work on my current ones long enough to see results. I also struggle with getting traffic.

I’ve heard the time over and over “Copy Success. Copy what works”. So that’s what I’d like to do… if anyone has an online Fastlane business that they’d be willing to share with me and help me get to the level of success you’re at I’d be forever grateful. I think I would really benefit from having a mentor to keep me accountable and “on track”. Someone to slap me silly if I get any more ideas instead of sticking to the ones I already have.

So you're a dreamer with a long track record of failure who wants to copy my business in exchange for "gratitude".

Wow, where do I sign up!

Wow, lol.

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
Wow... Maybe I'll just stop posting here...

lately people have been being SUCH a smart a$$ bordering on the line of a**hole.

I thought this was supposed to be a positive/helpful forum? Not a bunch of stuck up people with nothing better to say then something rude or smart a$$.

I had a TERRIBLE day and I've been fighting depression all day... I'm upset about the lack of success I've had online and this was a last ditch effort to try and get on the right track. Haven't you ever heard...
61601__1596.jpg

Or "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

Contribute nicely to my thread or GTFO. Thanks

G

GuestUser113

Wow... Maybe I'll just stop posting here...

lately people have been being SUCH a smart a$$ bordering on the line of a**hole.

I thought this was supposed to be a positive/helpful forum? Not a bunch of stuck up people with nothing better to say then something rude or smart a$$.

I had a TERRIBLE day and I've been fighting depression all day... I'm upset about the lack of success I've had online and this was a last ditch effort to try and get on the right track. Haven't you ever heard...
61601__1596.jpg

Or "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all?"

Contribute nicely to my thread or GTFO. Thanks

You want shortcuts.

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...ealth-golden-nuggets.52268/page-9#post-394361

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeezy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 22, 2014
New Zealand
Contribute nicely to my thread or GTFO

Consider yourself first, what does this thread contribute to the forums?

You do not need a mentor, all you need is to keep learning. If your businesses keep failing then take the experience from these failures, read some books or do some research and then try again.

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Perhaps you should look at your posts and ask why are people responding in the way they are.

I wasn't being an a**hole, I was giving you a new perspective on your request.

Want want want without any give isn't a formula for success.

Yeezy

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 22, 2014
New Zealand
I’ve heard the time over and over “Copy Success. Copy what works”. So that’s what I’d like to do… if anyone has an online Fastlane business that they’d be willing to share with me and help me get to the level of success you’re at I’d be forever grateful.

This is not at all what the term is intended to mean.
'Copy what works' means to find something that works, and do it better.

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
Consider yourself first, what does this thread contribute to the forums?

You do not need a mentor, all you need is to keep learning. If your businesses keep failing then take the experience from these failures, read some books or do some research and then try again.

Not EVERY post on here is made to "contribute" to the forum, although there are a lot of those... And as far as I know that isn't a requirement of posting...

There are probably just as equally as many people looking for help, and that's what my post was about, looking for help.

I don't understand all the negative feedback... if you guys don't want to help me, don't bother replying. You're just kicking a girl when she's down, and that's not right.

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
This is not at all what the term is intended to mean.
'Copy what works' means to find something that works, and do it better.

Yes that is what is intended to mean... at least that's what Tony Robbins meant, and that's who I was referring to.

1z374hy.jpg

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
I was giving you a new perspective on your request.

You could have done the same thing, in a nicer way. And I'm not looking for a new perspective on my request... I realize very well that I'm seeking help, with nothing more than gratitude to offer in return. Believe it or not there ARE people out there willing to help those less fortunate then themselves... sorry you're not one of them.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Sustained effort and refinement require discipline. You can't look outside of yourself for discipline, or you will drive a mentor crazy.

You gotta fix what is broken first.

I have never met anyone that will give you a business plan to emulate. Nobody creates their own competitors. You have to blaze your own path.

Recently I have read on several threads that people struggle with traffic. Traffic flows to a strong value proposition.

Step 1. Gain self discipline, and perseverance. There is no shortcut.

Then

Step 2. Find a business process worth emulating, or come up with an original idea. Solve a need.

Step 3. Execute it, for the long haul. Don't look for a short term fix, because there aren't many.

Step 4. Traffic will flow to a strong value proposition.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yes that is what is intended to mean... at least that's what Tony Robbins meant, and that's who I was referring to.

1z374hy.jpg
He did not mean find someone that will hand you their business plan and let you copy them.

Sam Walton emulated what Kmart was doing well, and didn't repeat what they weren't doing well. He improved on their model. He didn't call them and ask them to help him. He studied the market, determined it's vulnerability, and created a better value proposition over weeks, months, years, and decades.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
I think the problem is, there are tons of threads on here about how to find mentors- I can think of at least 5 at the top of my head. And because of the fact what this forum is full of successful entrepreneurs, people post here all the time asking for mentors- and it gets to the point where it is hard to take these posts too seriously because there are just so many people looking for the exact same thing as you, a mentor.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Curious... Do you even know what "Fastlane" is?

Second, I apologize for any comments that appeared short tempered. You see, while our timing is not the best in terms of your depression, alluding that you want to copy someone's success is also not in good timing. I'm sure you didn't mean it literally although nothing surprises me any longer.

Welcome to the forum.

Ps: you may want to consider the idea that you are already being mentored... U just don't know it. :)

dreamer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Apr 1, 2012
California
Curious... Do you even know what "Fastlane" is?

Second, I apologize for any comments that appeared short tempered. You see, while our timing is not the best in terms of your depression, alluding that you want to copy someone's success is also not in good timing. I'm sure you didn't mean it literally although nothing surprises me any longer.

Welcome to the forum.

Ps: you may want to consider the idea that you are already being mentored... U just don't know it. :)

Thanks MJ! If I don't find a mentor as a result of creating this thread, I'm at least glad I created it so you could comment :)

& Yes I know what "Fastlane" is... your book is my favorite NF book of all time :D Although I must admit, it's been about 2 years since I've read it, (And since I created this account). So it might be wise to read it again.

And no I'm not wanting to LITERALLY copy someone's exact success... I more or less meant find a mentor who is willing to help me toward MY path to success, and help me find a business model that works for ME. Whether it's their own or not. But it'd probably be easier if they shared with me their niche/market, and I can LEARN from their success, not copy it. Sorry guys.

NoLackey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 1, 2014
He did not mean find someone that will hand you their business plan and let you copy them.

Sam Walton emulated what Kmart was doing well, and didn't repeat what they weren't doing well. He improved on their model. He didn't call them and ask them to help him. He studied the market, determined it's vulnerability, and created a better value proposition over weeks, months, years, and decades.

I already understood the Tony Robbins quote, but you explained it in such a great way, it gave me a new perspective. Thanks!

@dreamer - Your request is pretty common around here, so I understand why you posted it. You are not the first or...15th.

If you are to the point of a "last ditch effort", it may be time to take a break. Failing is often a great way to learn, but it can also take a heavy hit on your confidence. Maybe you should take a step back for a few weeks or even a few months. Look over what you have been doing and determine what has worked and what has failed. Study other people and try to draw from what works for them and implement it in to your own plan.

If you think you're ready to continue, it may be beneficial to get something started before asking for a mentor. If you already have something in place that you believe in and can convince someone else it has potential, they may be more willing to help. Your request then becomes "Hey I have been working at this and need some advice on how I am approaching it." Rather than "I have nothing, spend all your time getting me started and give me all the answers I need."

Good luck!

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
youve been here 2 years and no one cares to teach you

ive been on here 2-3 months and people PM me asking for me to join their projects

why?

I have an AMA where I give INSIDERS 110%

If i dont know Ill find out & save them time

they want someone like me in their organization

so instead of asking people what they can do for you, ask what you can do for them

good luck

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
And no I'm not wanting to LITERALLY copy someone's exact success... I more or less meant find a mentor who is willing to help me toward MY path to success, and help me find a business model that works for ME. Whether it's their own or not. But it'd probably be easier if they shared with me their niche/market, and I can LEARN from their success, not copy it. Sorry guys.

There's a thread somewhere on the forums or the INSIDERS where one of the more successful posters lists all the business models. There aren't that many. You should start by looking there. I believe it was in a gold thread somewhere.

A big thing around here is about "adding value". That's a point of emphasis around here because that's how most entrepreneurs became successful. Being a new member, asking for someone to give you something right off the bat goes against that. You arent the first, and you probably wont be the last, but it's not really your fault.

Add things to the discussions, post a progress thread showing what you're doing, etc etc...THEN someone might be willing to mentor you.

I recommend going through Gold Threads and the INSIDERS' forums. It'll be a good starting point. Good luck!

Kyle Tully

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 13, 2014
Sydney, Australia

Bingo.

If you can't see what is wrong with your approach (and subsequent replies) in this thread then you're not ready to work with a mentor just yet... at least not one who is worth working with.

Absorb all you can from the forum and when you're ready to get and provide value from a mentor they will appear.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan

There's more to it than that. In my own personal interpretation of that, it really means copy how they work. Something that has served me well over the years is exactly that. Take a good hard look at those that are EXTREMELY successful and emulate them specifically. That means take all of the good traits that can help you and leave behind the shit.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC

First, it sounds like you already know what your problem is. You want the money/success too fast - the way your post read, you do something for a few days/weeks, are depressed that you aren't making money, and in a desperate attempt to make money switch to the next thing. That's going to be a killer for you.

Second, the forum is most effective for those who bring specific problems/experiences/lessons learned, as opposed to generalized "help me!" threads. How about you make a post about your most recent failed project - why you started it, what you did, what worked and didn't, and why you think you failed. You'll probably get some great responses about where you could improve for next time.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
First, it sounds like you already know what your problem is. You want the money/success too fast - the way your post read, you do something for a few days/weeks, are depressed that you aren't making money, and in a desperate attempt to make money switch to the next thing. That's going to be a killer for you.

Second, the forum is most effective for those who bring specific problems/experiences/lessons learned, as opposed to generalized "help me!" threads. How about you make a post about your most recent failed project - why you started it, what you did, what worked and didn't, and why you think you failed. You'll probably get some great responses about where you could improve for next time.

This is a great suggestion. You could get some amazing feedback, and you're contributing to the forum with a potentially awesome case study. We gobble up case studies here. ;)

I'm hardly the person to mentor you, but as a stay at home mom struggling to start my own business and having also struggled with depression, I'm sure our journeys are similar in many way. It's tough, and we have barriers that many others don't. We also have a very unique POV that can be very useful and make for many amazing opportunities.

Best of luck on your journey, keep learning and implementing what you learn, and try to stick with one thing for a good long while (Wanderlust is awesome and all, but not when you're trying to start a business).

:)

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
You're looking for a mentor in the wrong place. Check out a company you like and ask to speak to their co-founders.

I have a feeling here that most of the people on this forum are out-of-work, living with their parents and looking for get-rich-quick schemes. I'm sure there are a couple of exceptions but I haven't seen any exceptional intelligence to any replies here.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
You're looking for a mentor in the wrong place. Check out a company you like and ask to speak to their co-founders.

I have a feeling here that most of the people on this forum are out-of-work, living with their parents and looking for get-rich-quick schemes. I'm sure there are a couple of exceptions but I haven't seen any exceptional intelligence to any replies here.

I have a feeling that the total net worth of the members who replied to this forum is well over eight figures. I also have a feeling that some of the respondents are founders of companies the OP might like.

Would you mind posting the link to your intro post where you tell us all about your exceptional intelligence and business acumen?

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012

I'm going to have to disagree with you about the forum members.

Sure, there are probably a huge chunk of people looking for get-rich schemes, but they usually don't contribute much to the forums after about a few weeks because they realize no one will give them an easy plan on how to become successful beyond "find a niche to add value, market, and scale"

The consistent contributors either have a business running or have had one. In the case of some of the top posters, they've had more than one successful business.

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
I have a feeling that the total net worth of the members who replied to this forum is well over eight figures. I also have a feeling that some of the respondents are founders of companies the OP might like.

Would you mind posting the link to your intro post where you tell us all about your exceptional intelligence and business acumen?

That's great that you have these illusory "feelings"

What I see is a bunch of bitter men dogging on a woman who is attempting to find solutions to her homebusiness while they enthusiastically give emotional support to guys who talk about instant coffee and their depression problems.

And no offense throttleforward, but most of the forum members here don't seem to be responding to questions of a business nature- more like this is a support group for depressed men who don't know what they're doing with their lives.

QueenVictoria

New Contributor
Aug 27, 2014
I'm going to have to disagree with you about the forum members.

Sure, there are probably a huge chunk of people looking for get-rich schemes, but they usually don't contribute much to the forums after about a few weeks because they realize no one will give them an easy plan on how to become successful beyond "find a niche to add value, market, and scale"

The consistent contributors either have a business running or have had one. In the case of some of the top posters, they've had more than one successful business.

If these company leaders exist on this board, I guess they're all getting some sort of incentive for publicising this book. Pardon me, I thought I was on a board to talk about start-ups and entrepreneurship and certain obstacles to overcome for new companies, not a board to publicise some get rich quick book.

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
If these company leaders exist on this board, I guess they're all getting some sort of incentive for publicising this book. Pardon me, I thought I was on a board to talk about start-ups and entrepreneurship and certain obstacles to overcome for new companies, not a board to publicise some get rich quick book.

An incredibly ignorant post. What are you even doing on this forum?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

You've been here a whole 6 days? You are definitely in the wrong place.

To the original poster, you already know what your problem is.

"My main problem is that I’m constantly coming up with “new” and “better” ideas and starting new projects before I work on my current ones long enough to see results."

You don't stick with one thing long enough. No mentor wants to take on someone who will just quit. It would be waste of their time. I would be so pissed if I helped someone for 3 months and then they come up with a new idea and just drop the current one. Don't you know it takes a long long time to build a successful business?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.