The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Legal considerations re:Logos

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
Hey all,

I've started a logo design service using freelance designers from upwork that I've formed relationships with. I act as a design agent - generate leads, manage orders and then outsource the design work. I've found a market with high demand and I've been getting great feedback and plenty of orders.

One person who saw my post in a particular FB Group had this to say:
"A quick word of warning if you will indulge me. If the brands you create become successful as I hope they do, please make sure the logos, icons, and packaging designs don't infringe on a existing brands ip or trademarks, especially within your sector! I've seen it happen a few times, where start ups hire a freelancer from the web from another country who copies or takes influence from something they have seen somewhere and bam! Very frightening letters from legal departments ruins the brand before they reach their potential. As a design agent this can leave you liable and holding a very ugly baby. So please be careful."

My question is, how can I protect myself from any possible legal issues arising in the future from logos I have produced for my clients?

Also, are there any ways I can research Trademarks etc. before hand to ensure no designs I provide are breaching anyone's IP?

I have a lot of ideas for expansion so I can increase revenue and eventually hire somebody to manage the orders & clients so I can grow the business, but I really want to get on top of this issue first.

Thanks,
Snappy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Hey all,

I've started a logo design service using freelance designers from upwork that I've formed relationships with. I act as a design agent - generate leads, manage orders and then outsource the design work. I've found a market with high demand and I've been getting great feedback and plenty of orders.

One person who saw my post in a particular FB Group had this to say:
"A quick word of warning if you will indulge me. If the brands you create become successful as I hope they do, please make sure the logos, icons, and packaging designs don't infringe on a existing brands ip or trademarks, especially within your sector! I've seen it happen a few times, where start ups hire a freelancer from the web from another country who copies or takes influence from something they have seen somewhere and bam! Very frightening letters from legal departments ruins the brand before they reach their potential. As a design agent this can leave you liable and holding a very ugly baby. So please be careful."

My question is, how can I protect myself from any possible legal issues arising in the future from logos I have produced for my clients?

Also, are there any ways I can research Trademarks etc. before hand to ensure no designs I provide are breaching anyone's IP?

I have a lot of ideas for expansion so I can increase revenue and eventually hire somebody to manage the orders & clients so I can grow the business, but I really want to get on top of this issue first.

Thanks,
Snappy

Here's my (million-dollar) advice of the day:

Design the logos ... and stay out of the legal compliance business. These are two completely different industries.

If I were you I would simply include a very plain conspicuous and clear disclaimer stating that you make no representations express or implied that the logo you design will not infringe upon another person's trademark or copyright ... and that if this is a concern they should hire an attorney who specializes intellectual property to perform a search. Then ... if your logo is subsequently determined to infringe upon another person's copyright or trademark ... that you will do a complimentary redesign at no additional cost.

This way you can stick to doing what it is that you want to do ... designing logos ... and leave the legal side is on them.

That's what I would do.

And (of course) I would hire a lawyer (like me) to draft the language used in the disclaimer. Not something you want to do yourself (unless you like lawsuits). ;)

PM me if you need me.

snappyhappy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Aug 3, 2015
Thanks for the advice @Esquire

I'll PM you a bit later when I get time.

Cheers

petertanguay

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 12, 2015
To start a business of logos is not a easy task. I appreciate that you started well. The logos which you use must be unique. I also started the same business but it was in loss. I couldn't find the marque déposée of it. So, well hope your business will be touch its great height.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ebailsjr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 31, 2015
Pm me. I know some resources I think can help

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts