The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Learning to Code

wrighj03

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 20, 2015
Here is the example from book
I'm getting syntax error:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
<title>Phrase-o-matic</title>
<script>
function makePhrases(){
var words1 = ["24/7", "multi-tier", "30,000 foot", "B-to-B", "win-win"];
var words2 = ["empowered", "value-added", "oriented", "focused", "simplified"];
var words3 = ["process", "solutions", "tipping-point", "strategy", vision"]

var rand1 = Math.floor(Math.random()*words1.length);
var rand2 = Math.floor(Math.random()*words2.length);
var rand3 = Math.floor(Math.random()*words3.length);

var phrase = words1[rand1]+""+words2[rand2] + "" + words3[rand3];
alert(phrase);
}
makePhrases();
</script>
</head>
<body>

</body>
</html>

I'm learning about javascript functions, and cant get it to work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest34764

I guess since coding is already the topic of this thread.Does anyone know any places that are very good for learning coding?Preferably free because i have no money that i can use.I've been using codeacademy as of late but it doesn't explain very well.So i often have to look up how to do the lesson on some walkthrough :/

sija1

Turning Coffee Into Code
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Jun 20, 2015
Quebec, Canada
I guess since coding is already the topic of this thread.Does anyone know any places that are very good for learning coding?Preferably free because i have no money that i can use.I've been using codeacademy as of late but it doesn't explain very well.So i often have to look up how to do the lesson on some walkthrough :/

It depends on what you want to code. Web? Desktop? Mobile? Object Oriented Programming? Functional programming? Java? C#? VB?

The most important thing to learn in coding are the principles and understanding of how it works and why it works like that. If you're into OOP for example, understanding what encapsulation, methods, classes, inheritance, objects etc are, will give you the understanding of how it works and what is the role of each. You should code as you learn new theory. Coding without theory will be impossible; theory without coding will be pointless. Start by coding something simple.

I don't know what kind of experience do you have with coding, but try http://www.tutorialspoint.com. You can also try YouTube videos, since it gives nice visual. Go with videos that have more views. Taking courses on Coursera could help as well. The hardest thing is to start. There are so much new terms and things, but once you understand these, you can easily search information on the Internet and use sites like stackoverfow.com for solutions to the problems you encounter.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
You have 2 syntax errors. You're missing " before the word vision, and ; at the end of the line.

var words3 = ["process", "solutions", "tipping-point", "strategy", vision"]

Correct way:

var words3 = ["process", "solutions", "tipping-point", "strategy", "vision"];

Last edited:

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Does anyone know any places that are very good for learning coding?

There are some free courses here: https://www.codeschool.com/

These are just to start you off, but they are structured nicely, a little bit of theory, then you see it, then you do it, it's really easy and fun to digest.

But, for getting really serious...

The most important thing to learn in coding are the principles and understanding of how it works and why it works like that.

This is the main difference between good and bad programmer in my opinion.

Learning a programming language is least of an issue. It's knowing how, what and why to do with it that makes you a good programmer.
For this it would be very helpful to have a mentor. Formal education is valuable too.

And...you gotta love it - or you'll hate it. Gotta be the nerd and enjoy what you do.

wrighj03

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 20, 2015

I signed up for a class at the adult education and the class got cancelled so I am using the Head First book on JavaScript but I started with HTML/CSS.

wrighj03

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Sep 20, 2015
You have 2 syntax errors. You're missing " before the word vision, and ; at the end of the line.

Correct way:

var words3 = ["process", "solutions", "tipping-point", "strategy", "vision"];

It worked. Thank you. I need a better editor so those silly mistakes won't happen.

Joseph Wilson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jun 13, 2015
alison.com has some free courses and so does mit's open courseware program. MIt's courses are pretty high level, maybe not great for a beginner, I've got some experience and am struggling with them. There are lots of inexepensive books on javascript too. I don't remember much about javascript, but when I'm screwing around with python I've been using print statements after each piece of code to help figure out where my errors are.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Code Academy and Coursera are also good places to look as well. It's focused on building websites with JavaScript and Ruby/Python, so it's good for beginners. As @sija1 mentioned, you need to know some basic computer science to be a good coder. I guess I would ask if you're coding because you want to, or because you need to (for your business).

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Obligatory link to this thread for some perspective from the other side- https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/learning-to-program-is-stupid-or-smart.41319/

For what it's worth, I'm in college in the IT field. On the first day of class my freshman year someone raised their hand and asked the professor how much coding we will be doing. He said "almost none." Reason being most programmers are being outsourced to Asia, and if you need coding done, you can hire them for almost nothing.

I'm not trying to start the old debate up here. But I am someone who used to be on the "everyone should learn to code" train, and have switched sides. Just make sure you really think it will help you before putting the hours in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
It depends on the context. Companies like Blizzard aren't going to hire contractors from Asia to build whatever they've got cooking up for Blizzcon. Most large US corporations realized outsourcing to the lowest bidder realized that a race to the bottom results in a shitty product that costs twice as much to fix than it did to build. If you want to be a coder, you've got to learn to market yourself.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.