The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Law of Effection...FB ads...music.

Marketing, social media, advertising

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Me & my team just come off a 7 month promo run for a project that I released. The project was a 7 song EP. We released the project with as much professionalism as possible.

We passed out 25,000 copies of the EP in our local market (75 mile radius). I own a duplication company so I was able to press CD's pretty cheaply. I chose heavy street promo because it allowed us to have a personal interaction with our potential audience.

Throughout the promo run, we got pretty good feedback, built up a few fans/supporters & got people reaching out through social media. Although this was cool, I realized that I spent a lot of money just on street promo and it had limited reach. Word of mouth only went so far with this.

We passed out all those CDs and barely scratched the surface and that was just in the local market let alone the whole country. Many people saw us out and said that had the CD or saw it somewhere but they never listened or checked it out. The EP had a really dope cover. Also, we had a problem with MANY rude people throwing the CDs on the ground right after it being handed to them which was wasted money.

I shot 3 high quality videos to support the project. On 2 of those videos, I implemented super targeted FB ads that got really great engagement & results. These campaigns cost 1/10 of the price that it cost for the street campaigns and were able to reach more people. Great thing about this is, I only paid for results whereas I was paying on the street level whether there was a result or not.

I am about to release a new single & shoot a video. I'm planning on making this campaign more focused on social media/internet than street promo. I'm going to make video my main tool instead of the CD.

With music, you have to reach many people with quality music, consistently. My goal for these marketing campaigns is to generate a buzz that leads to high paying shows.

I've researched the market and new strategies that I'm going to use for this new video.

I'd like to hear your opinions. Should I still implement street promo or should I abandon it 100% in favor of the new aged digital promo?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EN_VY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Sep 28, 2012
Houston
Newer computers don't even have CD drives on them anymore.. I'm from Houston, where many rappers built huge fan bases from passing out CDs from their trunk of their car, but that was in the late 90s, early 2000s. I would suggest your completely forget about it.

Jamaal

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 30, 2015
Miami FL
If you decide to keep going the street promo route, have a look into USB business cards... it's more expensive than traditional CD's but there is a greater chance of listeners to listen to your music because it's a unique presentation (unsigned artist giving out CD's is pretty saturated), they can put your card in their pocket and plop it right in their computer or car I believe if it can read USB drives.

Hope this helps!

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
You could make a card or flyer with a qr code that lets people instantly stream the sample music on their phone. Most people aren't listening to music on a device with a cd drive (or full size usb, although cool idea)

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I'd look into facebook video with ads for mailing list sign up (or page likes).

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Buy usb sticks in bulk with your logo and load up your album with art/videos and pass those out in an alluring black envelope. Just a quick idea, might not be cost effective.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.