The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Joined FL in late 2007 w/10K+ in CC Debt. Now biz averages 170K/month. AMAA

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Hey ! Yes, I think you should get a job with a successful entrepreneur. MAKE SOMEBODY ELSE RICH. That's what entrepreneurship is all about. Serving others. Once you do that for one person (or for 5, or 10, or 100) you'll have your ticket. Coding is great but it'll take years to develop. Same thing with entrepreneurship.

I call working for entrepreneurs "training at altitude." Flipping products on eBay for 3 years on your own would teach you what working for somebody like me or MJ would teach you in 3 months. So don't be shy to get a job and work hard for a few years.

Caveat: I wouldn't just get any job. Here's the approach I'd take: TEDxCMU -- Charlie Hoehn -- The New Way to Work - YouTube

Hey Dan, do you have any tips for an aspiring 19 year old entrepreneur that has little money in his bank account (about $120.00), and no college education? I want a better life for myself, I've worked 3 jobs that I've worked hard at. I just found out that I don't like the fact that I'm making somebody else rich, while I can do the same thing for myself at a young age. I've read MJ's book and it really motivated me to get my a$$ up and do something. So I started learning to code a few months ago, but I'm kind of thinking it's not fastlane enough. And that a business could possible be the way to go. But with little resources, and little cash, I have no idea where to start, and what niche to pick.

My parents are definitely NOT wealthy. I was thinking of reselling products on eBay, but eBay is already heavily saturated. I'd appreciate some feedback from ANYONE at this point. I WAS interested in the SFM marketing system with Stuart Ross, but I don't believe Affiliate Marketing is fastlane enough for me. Thank you in advance for any responses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for joining us :thumbsup:

Do you mind sharing your favorite books with us?

Thanks and have a great time over here!

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Thanks for joining us :thumbsup:

Do you mind sharing your favorite books with us?

Thanks and have a great time over here!

Cheers. Here's a short list and a link to a blog post with a crap ton of others. I'm working on compiling them all by the end of January into a master list sort of like Derek Sivers did.

1. The 4 Hour Work Week
2. Getting Things Done
3. How to Get Rich
4. Maverick
5. The Art of Seduction
6. Good to Great
7. The Ultimate Sales Machine
8. Getting Real
9. The No BS Guide to Direct Marketing
10. Purple Cow
11. Dreaming in Code
12. The 80/20 Principle
13. Good Strategy, Bad Strategy
14. The Power of Habit : Why We Do What We Do In Life and in Business

What Kind of Person Reads 14 Books a Month? (Link to my blog).

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks a lot!

Can you tell us some of your biggest mistakes on your way to success?

Much appreciated, thank you

Cheers. Here's a short list and a link to a blog post with a crap ton of others. I'm working on compiling them all by the end of January into a master list sort of like Derek Sivers did.

1. The 4 Hour Work Week
2. Getting Things Done
3. How to Get Rich
4. Maverick
5. The Art of Seduction
6. Good to Great
8. Getting Real
10. Purple Cow
11. Dreaming in Code
12. The 80/20 Principle

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Tropical,

Bigs Ups!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the forum. Speed++

SportsFan438

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Feb 24, 2012
Wow you have a lot of experience and tell it like it is, thats awesome. You may have already said, but what are high quality and intimate mastermind settings?

What advice would you have for my sports based web startup Fanranker.com. Currently we are using the lean start-up method to create features based on continual feedback and testing. Being a gamifaction, entertainment website its difficult to tell if we truly serving a problem or creating one in our minds that "sports fans need a universal ranking system". We have gotten feedback that people like the site, but that hasnt translated into them using the site. We are currently in the stages of bringing on two individual programmers and creating a system of accountability so that we are constantly improving and moving forward, but ultimately we need user feedback for this to happen. Its really validation that we are looking for, to help us know we are going in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any advice

yahdmon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
May 3, 2012
I live in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Very good post and many thanks for sharing.

Be sure to hit me up once you have that book completed (motivation to finish?) because I can tell it will be a really good read. Don't forget to be motivational and unselfish with sharing your story. Tell it all or as much as you can stand to read or hear about.

Can you tell the title of the book?

If you cannot, I understand it.

All the best.

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
High quality mastermind = small group of entrepreneurs you talk to or meet weekly to talk about biz problems and how you are resolving them.

Regarding your site= if you can't say what problem you are solving, you've got a big problem. Learn start-up starts with customer development, which is a free process. I wouldn't have developers on board until you are clear about that.

Regarding your marketing, you'll need to do something where I can figure out what you do within 3 seconds. "Ranking fans" doesn't make any sense to me-- sounds like a new concept.

So what problem do you solve? And how are you going to charge for it?

Than customer development means you get those people on the phone and ask them if they'd pay for it.

If your customers will be advertisers put together ad packages and figure out exactly how much of ad space / ad type etc you'll need to sell in order to make this a viable biz for you.

Wow you have a lot of experience and tell it like it is, thats awesome. You may have already said, but what are high quality and intimate mastermind settings?

What advice would you have for my sports based web startup Fanranker.com. Currently we are using the lean start-up method to create features based on continual feedback and testing. Being a gamifaction, entertainment website its difficult to tell if we truly serving a problem or creating one in our minds that "sports fans need a universal ranking system". We have gotten feedback that people like the site, but that hasnt translated into them using the site. We are currently in the stages of bringing on two individual programmers and creating a system of accountability so that we are constantly improving and moving forward, but ultimately we need user feedback for this to happen. Its really validation that we are looking for, to help us know we are going in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any advice

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Very good post and many thanks for sharing.

Be sure to hit me up once you have that book completed (motivation to finish?) because I can tell it will be a really good read. Don't forget to be motivational and unselfish with sharing your story. Tell it all or as much as you can stand to read or hear about.

Can you tell the title of the book?

If you cannot, I understand it.

All the best.

Thanks for the offer! Shouldn't be too long till it's available for download. Maybe after 1-2 months? Working title is The 1,000 Day Principle. Based off of this post: "What Living the Dream Really Looks Like."

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
I mentioned some above, here's a counter intuitive answer: I should have made more mistakes. I f-up all the time. I'm willing to put my ideas out there and push them to a fail point. Most of the products we've launched have failed. Don't get attached to your business conception!

Other stuff:

-Should have hired an accountant earlier.
-Should have focused on having clear processes in place earlier, especially when hiring people.
-Don't hire people to build your business, hire people to run your business.

Thanks a lot!

Can you tell us some of your biggest mistakes on your way to success?

Much appreciated, thank you

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
BUT let me say this.... reluctantly... the normal difficult stuff works better than any drug.

Here's a list of stuff that works better than Modafinil:

*not eating carbs, sugars, or other crap (+ not drinking). 80/20, this is the fastest and easiest way to get more working hours IMO.

I've been thinking a lot about this recently. Previously, I had no idea WHY this are good idea. I know that it's "supposed" to be good, but without knowing WHY it's hard for me to STICK to anything in particular.

I really had to dumb it down to explain it to myself: It's all about insulin.

Insulin's sole purpose is to store glucose.
Your brain works on glucose.
Insulin STEALS glucose away from your brain.
Sugar + carbs activate the insulin response.

Eliminating sugar + carbs = more fuel for your brain.

This is a major change I'll be implementing. Sweets and sugar are a big part of my life (take it with my tea, with my coffee, candy as a snack.) so I'll be researching smaller things I can do to help me cope. It's unreasonable for me to expect myself to eliminate something so huge all in one leap.

I wonder if I can, for instance, eat sugar/sweets/carbs AFTER my workday's complete. If I wake up at 4am to start working... I wonder if I can start eating sugar/carbs as usual after 4pm without as many negative consequences. I don't care if I'm 'dazed' at the END of the day when I want to wind down and relax.

I'll look into this further and see if I can find any answers.

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Hey Dennis,

If you're up for a book binge, here's an inspiring weekend for ya:

The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet: Robb Wolf, Loren Cordain: 9780982565841: Amazon.com: Books
The Primal Blueprint: Reprogram your genes for effortless weight loss, vibrant health, and boundless energy (Primal Blueprint Series): Mark Sisson: 9780982207789: Amazon.com: Books
Amazon.com: Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever (9780452286672): Ray Kurzweil, Terry Grossman: Books

I promise you'll see huge results!!! Never fails. It's just really, really hard. I've been yo-yoing for 5 years.

Dan

I've been thinking a lot about this recently. Previously, I had no idea WHY this are good idea. I know that it's "supposed" to be good, but without knowing WHY it's hard for me to STICK to anything in particular.

I really had to dumb it down to explain it to myself: It's all about insulin.

Insulin's sole purpose is to store glucose.
Your brain works on glucose.
Insulin STEALS glucose away from your brain.
Sugar + carbs activate the insulin response.

Eliminating sugar + carbs = more fuel for your brain.

This is a major change I'll be implementing. Sweets and sugar are a big part of my life (take it with my tea, with my coffee, candy as a snack.) so I'll be researching smaller things I can do to help me cope. It's unreasonable for me to expect myself to eliminate something so huge all in one leap.

I wonder if I can, for instance, eat sugar/sweets/carbs AFTER my workday's complete. If I wake up at 4am to start working... I wonder if I can start eating sugar/carbs as usual after 4pm without as many negative consequences. I don't care if I'm 'dazed' at the END of the day when I want to wind down and relax.

I'll look into this further and see if I can find any answers.

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
This video f-ing rad BTW. Very spot on with China culture. Anyone wants to ask about China, fire away! Hate the place but know how to rock it :)

Check out this video I was watching the other day! :)

It kicks a$$!

[video=youtube;3AA5lLmRqWc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AA5lLmRqWc[/video]

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Some friendly feedback!

The 1,000 Day Principle

is a terrible title.... does not appeal, does not create fascination, does not make me want to know more....

Basically I think people will read the title and think "Meh... so what?" or "Who cares"....

All the best, hope it comes out soon! All the best and Happy new year!

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Did not choose the title really, taken from one of the most popular blog posts I've ever written (and I've written 100's)... so I'm taking that que from my readers.

Open to other options though, it's not in stone.

Some friendly feedback!

The 1,000 Day Principle

is a terrible title.... does not appeal, does not create fascination, does not make me want to know more....

Basically I think people will read the title and think "Meh... so what?" or "Who cares"....

All the best, hope it comes out soon! All the best and Happy new year!

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
Welcome to the forum! I'm a big fan of the blog, and thank you for your advice. The TedX was great aswell, helped confirm some of the thoughts I've been having as a student.
Would you suggest starting small projects to gain some related experience before reaching out to successful entrepreneurs?
For example, would you attempt to dropship products before contacting successful e-commerce entrepreneurs for free work?

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Dan,

Hope all is well bro. Just wanted to thank you for sharing the vision. I think that your podcast and other videos that I have watched give many of us a peep into a world where business is an adventure and conducted on your own terms.

You and MJ have that in common. When I need a dose of "out of the box" thinking you guys give it in double doses. I personally can't turn to friends or family or even fellow local business owners to discuss fastlane topics and expect to get any good feedback. I really do feel like TFL members are my secret society which give me a competitive edge on my competition.

Please keep up the good work and maybe I can buy you a brew in Thailand some day.

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
This video f-ing rad BTW. Very spot on with China culture. Anyone wants to ask about China, fire away! Hate the place but know how to rock it :)

That's what I am talking about right there.

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Cheers Yussef I appreciate all your support and I'll hold you to that beer.

Dan,

Hope all is well bro. Just wanted to thank you for sharing the vision. I think that your podcast and other videos that I have watched give many of us a peep into a world where business is an adventure and conducted on your own terms.

You and MJ have that in common. When I need a dose of "out of the box" thinking you guys give it in double doses. I personally can't turn to friends or family or even fellow local business owners to discuss fastlane topics and expect to get any good feedback. I really do feel like TFL members are my secret society which give me a competitive edge on my competition.

Please keep up the good work and maybe I can buy you a brew in Thailand some day.

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
I don't think you need to do it on your own first. It's probably a case of the resistance if you are doing too much prep. You just need to know enough to ask the right questions. Spend some real time sitting with and analyzing their web strategy and sites. I think this is the part people miss: your time won't be wasted. Even if the guy tells you to f-off, you can take that analysis to the next guy and say: check this out.... And so on. So yeah, working for others will be more useful in the beginning because you'll be working on a business that has some momentum and real assets... you'll learn a lot faster ...

Welcome to the forum! I'm a big fan of the blog, and thank you for your advice. The TedX was great aswell, helped confirm some of the thoughts I've been having as a student.
Would you suggest starting small projects to gain some related experience before reaching out to successful entrepreneurs?
For example, would you attempt to dropship products before contacting successful e-commerce entrepreneurs for free work?

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis

1. The 4 Hour Work Week
2. Getting Things Done
3. How to Get Rich
4. Maverick
5. The Art of Seduction
6. Good to Great
8. Getting Real
10. Purple Cow
11. Dreaming in Code
12. The 80/20 Principle

Thanks for this list, it's amazing. Reading all these books and truly understanding the concepts explained in them will surely make one a better,clever person.

Also thanks for joining the forum, being able to communicate with people like you for free is the reason why the majority of the members have joined the forum, so thanks!

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
Cheers man thanks!

Thanks for this list, it's amazing. Reading all these books and truly understanding the concepts explained in them will surely make one a better,clever person.

Also thanks for joining the forum, being able to communicate with people like you for free is the reason why the majority of the members have joined the forum, so thanks!

brumaire

Banned
Dec 29, 2012
Hey all, I was re-reading MJ's book this morning because I'm trying to write one of my own (pro tip: don't re-read MJ's book if you want to write one of your own… it'll be tough to match it…) so in a fit of procrastination I came over the the forum and decided I'd see if I can help anyone here.

So, you might be wondering what my business does. We do a lot of stuff. Here's some examples:

Now we have 15 employees and I've been basically a full time digital nomad since 2009. (I have a 50/50 business partner, @AnythingIan… he thinks I'm working on a book right now :)

So a few things about my story:

• I didn't go to a fancy school. (Almost failed out of high school, went to Clemson in South Carolina because it was warm and they let me in).
  • I didn't have any money. My dad works in a furniture shop and my mom is a secretary. We got student loans so I could go to college.
  • Nobody in my family has any money.

But I knew I wanted to be rich and have personal freedom. So some strategies that worked for me (and these are very broad and long term strategies), YMMV.

• (this was an accident) Get a job working for a small business entrepreneur. Most people who hate their jobs work them and then come home and try to side hustle. This is a sub par strategy because most of your best energy is being spent in the slow lane trajectory. Better to find a job that teaches you fast lane skills and builds fast lane relationships. Many of the relationships I built in that small biz job I still have today, and my old boss became my first investor. Ever hear the adage your employer is your first client? It's true. Live it. Another thing to consider: if you can't evolve and build your job to give you more freedom, money, control etc, GET OUT and use it as a litmus test for your ability to change organizations. If you can't do it in the framework of somebody else's company, it could be even more difficult to do it on your own. Rambling now…
  • Get good at building relationships with people who are powerful. The art of seduction and the art of power are good books here. YOU CAN NEVER BE NEEDY. That's tough when you've got needs :) You must build a compelling expertise that inspires curiosity in powerful people. Have your own personal black box. Something that when rich powerful people meet you, they are like "that person is on to something." You must also believe that you are on to something, because when you meet those powerful people you'll be giving them stuff and not asking for anything.
  • Learn to lead. Leading means deciding what to do and asking others to join you. Do often. Rinse. Repeat.
  • Get ready for a total life transformation. I've never met a hyper successful entrepreneur who didn't spent the majority of their best energy thinking about biz-related projects and information. This isn't a side gig, this is the main event. If you aren't prepared for that, probably best to try to maximize your savings, get a fun hobby, and hang with your bros. Speaking of which…
  • Ditch your bros. Or whoever in your life is holding you back. MINDSET and RELATIONSHIPS are everything. They will evolve fast if you do, so be prepared to have a whole new set of friends when this transition is over. I'm sure you've heard-- you are the average of your 5 closest friends? If you find yourself in a situation where you are lecturing everyone in your life about the benefits of entrepreneurship, you are in the wrong room.
  • Work with what you have--expertise is everything. I own a manufacturing company because I spent my teenage years working in factories, then college years working in warehouses, which got me a job working with a small manufacturing company. I didn't decide to start some "web app" on the side, I went with what I knew because I couldn't afford (at the beginning) to do anything else.
  • Read more books than anyone you know. Simple strategies like this work well for me. I didn't have money. I didn't have a powerful family or any successful friends, so I READ THE SHIT out of some books. BOOKS are FASTLANE. Also podcasts helped me a lot too, that's why I started one.

Ok, I'll stop ranting. If you think I can help you ask a question and I'll give you my answers! Best of luck in your entrepreneurial journey.

Final message: 5 years ago I was broke, desperate for more freedom, and felt bad when I had to ask my boss to let me leave the office to get a dentist appointment. I said F*ck that, dedicated every moment in my life since then to fixing the situation and now I can be anywhere, make way more money than a freakin' dentist, and get to do what I want. Like hanging out in this forum trying to light a fire under your a$$. My life isn't perfect, but it sure is fun.

Ask me almost anything!

How passive is your business?

Yussef

Knowledge Recycler
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 30, 2012
Question,

In one of your podcast that you did a while ago you and Ian were discussing how in the beginning you weren't good at communicating. This was the podcast where you also mentioned George Orwell's Essay "Politics and The English Language."

Either I never finished the podcast or just can't remember what you said helped to make you a much better communicator but would love if you could let me know what helped make you a better and more confident communicator. Thanks in advance.

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
As with most things, I think for us it was putting ourselves in a situation where our communication was of some consequence. That's one of the great things about business-- your customers will hold you responsible for your shortcomings and then you can improve.

For Ian and I our education started with micro-analyzing our dealmaking emails to ensure no errant word would destroy the deal.

We also did many cold approaches at trade shows and made a ton of cold calls. We'd sit down after and develop our strategies.

Then we decided to start a podcast in part because we thought it would be a great skill to have-- presenting, speaking, entertaining. By making it public we were accountable and had to improve... plus we had the added benefit of feedback from people who knew more than us.

(If you haven't yet listen to LBP#1, it sucks major monkey balls).

To sum: the framework and consequences of your communication matter a lot. That's why I love writing sales letters and asking people to do stuff. You'll get the feedback right away. The best feedback is always gain by watching people's feet, not their mouths.

Question,

In one of your podcast that you did a while ago you and Ian were discussing how in the beginning you weren't good at communicating. This was the podcast where you also mentioned George Orwell's Essay "Politics and The English Language."

Either I never finished the podcast or just can't remember what you said helped to make you a much better communicator but would love if you could let me know what helped make you a better and more confident communicator. Thanks in advance.

TropicalGuy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
434%
May 18, 2012
Barcelona, Spain
How passive is your business?

I could answer this question in many different ways, but I'd be very curious to have you flesh it out a bit. What exactly do you mean?

Probably one distillation would be this: does it require my regular effort and energy in order to grow?\

A: no.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.