The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Job Loss ideas [Some Great Ideas for Generating Cash When Needed]

Idea threads

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Trying to help a few guys who are currently unemployed or underemployed due to the current economy. What I am looking for is some service type businesses that can be built off more effort than skill if that makes sense.

Two ideas I had are driveway sealcoating and junk removal. Looking for some other options so I can help these guys find some revenue streams during this low point in their lives.

Pretty much looking to brainstorm here.

Thank in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
- Landscaping
- Movers
- Roof Re-shingling
- Upholstery/carpet cleaning
- Door to door sales (of really anything...)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
One of the things I did back in the day was to buy a box of peephole viewers and go to newly built neighborhoods with a cordless drill. The builders typically did not install peepholes. I would go door to door offering new peephole installed for $25 (at the height they wanted).

You would need a cordless drill and bit, box of viewers (i bought mine at a local warehouse called rehab resource for much cheaper than at lowes), tape measure (to be sure you install on center of door) and transportation. Hard costs per install at that time was about $2 so a profit of $23 per install. I could do 3-4 an hour pretty easy.

I eventually expanded this to offering many other handyman type services.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Starting businesses where you are trading time for money are easier to begin making a living on than a business that sells itself and continues to make you money. It is just much easier to start an auto detailing business, a lawn service, Christmas lights, manual labor stuff.

Most of these small businesses you could start with your credit limit on a visa and pay it back with cashflows. Door to door on most of it will get him customers and will help him make a living.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Here's another way - warranty repair work...

New home builders have warranty periods. Depending on the builder it could be 30, 60 or 90 days and/or 6 months and 1 year. This would likely require being bonded and insured. Typically the builder would survey the homeowner at these time periods to find out what defects have surfaced that needed to be repaired. Usually drywall cracks and nail pops, caulking separation, sticking or squeaking doors and drawers, paint touch-ups, leaking faucets, etc. I would need to have in my tool bag WD-40, caulk and caulk gun, cordless drill, various screws and nails, drywall tape and mud, goof-off, paint brushes, tape measure, etc. I was charging $50 per hour with a 2 hour minimum to make these repairs and was doing them for 3 different higher-end builders (Pulte, Drees and Centex - I'm not sure they still do this tho). I marketed it as a new home warranty repair service.

jaywolf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jul 31, 2012
In my neighborhood, there are guys that come by periodically (every few years) and will paint your curb number with a custom image, like an american flag or something. This is almost pure profit, and you can get like $10-15 per person who is interested, the painting itself is stenciled so the actual paint process takes 5 minutes, could probably do 4-5 in an hour per person. Looks like this: http://www.austinaddresspainting.com/47668221d1298678929-home-address-curb-numbers-address.jpg

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
In texas or anywhere has expanding/shrinking clay soil mixed with extreme weather.....door to door foundation cracks and interior crack repair would do well. I have about 10 cracks inside my house and two outside on the brick right now. If i wasnt a cheapskate/DIY kind of guy, I would drop close to $100 to get that taken care of.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I currently write reviews for people and businesses on Fiverr. Business has been really really slow lately...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Hit Craigslist -- Look under the FREE category -- Find something that needs to be cleaned up or refurbished. Do so. Resell at either 1) eBay 2) Craigslist or 3) Sell to consignment store.

Of course, you can do the same on products you buy.

You're simply adding value, re-framing the product (like a rehabber buys a house, fixes it up, and resells.)

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
Pet Sitting...maybe up-sell with some grooming or bathing....Don't see why you cant do this at home in the tub. Groomer charge $35 on average plus a house sit for the day or more, add in an charge for daily walks. Maybe get 50-70 a dog that way ;).

Power washing isn't a bad one either. Drum up a few jobs then rent the power washer at rental store. Get a 3500 plus psi washer with wheels on it for concrete then it will go faster.....and don't get to close or you will dig a hole in the driveway lol.

Deanna

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Sep 29, 2012
Arkansas
Pet Sitting...maybe up-sell with some grooming or bathing....Don't see why you cant do this at home in the tub. Groomer charge $35 on average plus a house sit for the day or more, add in an charge for daily walks. Maybe get 50-70 a dog that way ;).

Power washing isn't a bad one either. Drum up a few jobs then rent the power washer at rental store. Get a 3500 plus psi washer with wheels on it for concrete then it will go faster.....and don't get to close or you will dig a hole in the driveway lol.

okay - i was reading this in the activity stream where it read as one long paragraph...not 2...so I got pet sitting, grooming, power-wash...

that should allow you to get more dogs per day...line them up and power wash them! LOL

InMotion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 18, 2011
okay - i was reading this in the activity stream where it read as one long paragraph...not 2...so I got pet sitting, grooming, power-wash...

that should allow you to get more dogs per day...line them up and power wash them! LOL

Now your talkin.......this is how you scale lol. Plus, you will save money and time; with that power washer you wont even need to cut the hair it will just blow it off of them.

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
Good thread OP. Not fastlane, but i like the ideas. Slowlane working for yourself is better than slowlane working for somebody else>

One of the things I did back in the day was to buy a box of peephole viewers and go to newly built neighborhoods with a cordless drill. The builders typically did not install peepholes. I would go door to door offering new peephole installed for $25 (at the height they wanted).

You would need a cordless drill and bit, box of viewers (i bought mine at a local warehouse called rehab resource for much cheaper than at lowes), tape measure (to be sure you install on center of door) and transportation. Hard costs per install at that time was about $2 so a profit of $23 per install. I could do 3-4 an hour pretty easy.

Great idea! Inexpensive, useful, super quick, product is right in front of your face, easy to tell if the customer needs one, and i've been wanting to put one of these in on my new house. I'd be a buyer!

Jason K

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Mar 10, 2013
Some ideas I snagged from awhile back:

Like Writing?
Get paid to write articles for AssociatedContent.com
Get paid for writing how-to articles on eHow.com
Get paid to post abstracts on Shvoong.com
Get paid to translate at OneHourTranslation.com
Get paid to transcribe audio files on oDesk.com
Get paid to guide others at About.com
Get paid to blog at Smorty.com
Get paid to tweet at Sponsoredtweets.com
Get paid for reviewing software at SoftwareJudge.com
Get paid for reviewing websites on UserTesting.com
Get paid for writing product reviews on Epinions.com
Sell short reports at PayDotCom.com
Sell your own paid newsletter using Tinyletter.com
Sell your articles on Constant-Content.com
Sell your own e-book on Tradebit.com
Sell your own hardcover book by self-publishing it at Lulu.com
Sell documents online at Gazhoo.com
Sell essays at MyEssays.com
Sell unique blog posts on Ghostbloggers.net
Sell your story to top magazines and newspapers at Webuystories.com
Sell your content on Scribd.com

Like Doing Gigs?
Get paid to do freelance work at Getafreelancer.com
Get paid for doing gigs posted on Craigslist.com
Get paid to do all sorts of stuff on Domystuff.com
Get paid for taking pictures with your iPhone at Gigwalk.com
Get paid to do gigs at Fiverr.com
Get paid to work from home at Clicknwork.com
Get paid for voice over work at Voices.com
Get paid to do data entry work on oDesk.com

Like Designing Stuff?
Get paid to design on 99Designs.com
Get paid to design T-Shirts at Threadless.com
Get paid to design products at Ponoko.com
Sell graphics on GraphicLeftovers.com
Sell flash files at FlashDen.com
Sell web design templates at ThemeForest.net
Sell your product designs on Zazzle.com
Sell your created font at FontOff.com
Sell WordPress Themes at WPThemeMarket.com
Sell your animation on Aniboom.com
Sell your logo designs on Inkd.com

Like Coding?
Sell a turn-key website on Flippa.com
Sell professional, flashy websites created using Wix.com
Sell WordPress plugins at WPPlugins.com
Sell software source code at Binpress.com
Sell your pre-made Android apps at Buysellapp.com
Sell scripts on Buystockscript.com

Like Helping Others?
Get paid by renting your place to travelers at Airbnb.com
Get paid to share a tip on Daytipper.com
Get paid to share coupons and discount codes on Buxr.com
Get paid to teach your own online course at Wiziq.com
Get paid to share how-to videos at Metacafe.com
Get paid to socialize on myLot.com
Get paid as a virtual assistant on 247virtualassistant.com
Get paid to tutor on Tutor.com
Get paid to offer your expertise at LivePerson.com
Get paid for answering all types of questions at ChaCha.com
Get paid for your advice on Ether.com
Get paid to help with homework on StudentofFortune.com
Get paid for sharing your knowledge on Buksia.com
Get paid to answer expert questions at JustAnswer.com
Sell e-learning courses at OpenSesame.com

Like Having Fun?
Get paid to play online games at Gamesville.com
Get paid to upload files to Depositfiles.com
Get paid for podcasting at Mevio.com
Get paid to host live Internet radio shows at BlogTalkRadio.com
Get paid to play a game against another player on Moola.com
Sell virtual stuff from your store on SecondLife.com

Like Getting Your Creative Juices Flowing?
Sell your photos on BigStockPhoto.com
Sell your music at Vibedeck.com
Sell your videos to Fotolia.com
Sell your audio at BuyStockSound.com
Sell your ideas at Ideabuyer.com
Sell handmade stuff on Etsy.com
Sell your art on Imagekind.com
Get paid for coming up with unique domain names on Pickydomains.com
Get paid for coming up with market-ready names on NamingForce.com

Like Promoting for Profit?
Get paid to promote $100% instant commission products on Digiresults.com
Get paid to promote webinars at Webinarswaps.com
Get paid to promote web hosting from HostGator.com
Get paid to promote $7 products on 7dollaroffers.com
Get paid to promote physical products on Amazon.com
Get paid to promote CPA offers at Affiliate.com
Get paid to promote information products at Clickbank.com
Sell leads to other businesses at Reply.com
Sell magazine Subscriptions at AcclaimSubscriptions.com

Like Selling Random Stuff?
Sell unused stuff on eBay.com
Sell unused stuff on Craigslist.com
Sell your old and new gadgets on BuyMyTronics.com
Sell products in your own online shop at Shoply.com

STILL want more ways to make money?
No problem - Here are 10 BONUS ideas just for you:
Do an odd job
Seek emergency assistance from charities
Collect your change
Return past purchases
Hold a yard sale
Recycle scrap metal
Pawn your stuff
Sell your hair and plasma
Sell random stuff to motorists

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ

Hey @AllenCrawley ...since im strapped, i found your post, drove through a new sub division and only a few houses have door windows, and no one has peepholes!

I dont know how to approach them. People here in MI are very guarded. Im thinking even if i drive up in my decent truck, dressed appropriately, they'll be like "Who are you ?...And you want to drill a hole in my new door ?"

Suggestions for an approach ? Thanks in advance.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey @AllenCrawley ...since im strapped, i found your post, drove through a new sub division and only a few houses have door windows, and no one has peepholes!
I dont know how to approach them. People here in MI are very guarded. Im thinking even if i drive up in my decent truck, dressed appropriately, they'll be like "Who are you ?...And you want to drill a hole in my new door ?"
Suggestions for an approach ? Thanks in advance.

Sweet. I went door to door. I made a laminated ID tag of sorts that I would clip to my shirt. My name, company name, title and photo. I dressed in tan cargo or carpenter jeans and a Dickies short sleeve button down shirt. I was pretty comfortable going door to door. I did encounter resistance from time to time but it was no big deal. Just went to the next door.

No matter how guarded you think they may be I would still try door to door first. If you don't get anywhere because people just aren't receptive here's what I would do...

Create a very simple flyer (nothing fancy but must be professional) explaining you are the go to guy for peep hole installation and that you will be back in the neighborhood on a specific date between the hours of x and x to install quality peepholes. If this is a newly built neighborhood maybe some copy in flyer welcoming them to the area. Ask them to call you directly to reserve an install time. Understand, I didn't do this for the peep hole install service but this was a strategy I used when offering pressure washing services because it was a higher priced service.

Let us know how it goes.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Nice ! No questions. I'll try the door to door first. I'll let you know.

Something else I came across....reclaimed pallet wood. I can get pallets for free..found plans for chairs, sitting benches, storage units, etc. They sell for a good price.

I've also trained people in weapon disarms, practical self defense, etc. Thinking gun ranges may be interested in my services for their customers. Not sure but I'm going to ask. People LOVE the indoor ranges here and there are several.

Anyway..thank you again !

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
Here are a couple ideas from Mark Cuban. He suggests them to students, but maybe something like that could work for anyone.
With this idea here you could approach multiple schools with the shoelaces idea and could expand to suckers and possibly other food items

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Great ideas guys! @zen******* I can relate to Henry whom you mentioned in your report (don't follow the link in the report it's now NSFW) I started window cleaning after Googles panda got let out, and am slowly into other niches.

A few more options

Gutter brightening - several products that wipe away the hard to remove grime, can make $1.50 per linear foot
Window caulking - tough to remove sometimes but with the right tools an easy $50-70 per window
Smoke alarm replacement - should be done every 7-10 years
Screen repair- fix broken screen doors or windows

teabag

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 21, 2013
Australia
Great ideas guys! @zen******* I can relate to Henry whom you mentioned in your report (don't follow the link in the report it's now NSFW) I started window cleaning after Googles panda got let out, and am slowly into other niches.

A few more options

Gutter brightening - several products that wipe away the hard to remove grime, can make $1.50 per linear foot
Window caulking - tough to remove sometimes but with the right tools an easy $50-70 per window
Smoke alarm replacement - should be done every 7-10 years
Screen repair- fix broken screen doors or windows

This gave me an idea... Going door to door with a high pressure cleaner offering to clean driveways/ foot paths in front of the home.

You wouldn't believe how many times my mum asks my dad to do this but he can't be bothered. I just don't know what price you'd put on it vs. time.

NVaz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 24, 2013
Lisbon, Portugal

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.