The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is there a downside to purchasing websites?

april6e

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 27, 2012
Is there something wrong with the websites listed on sites like Flippa or such?

Is there a hidden downside to purchasing a website for, lets say, 8k off a site like that, that makes twice that a year mostly on auto-pilot? Then using the income after a year to purchase a more expense site...

And just working your way up until you own a website that is making whatever income that satisfies you?

I don't see many people suggesting this. Is buying a website off a marketplace similar to buying a car out of a junk lot; it's just never worth it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Most figures are flippa are a very optimistic view of what the company actually achieves. Be sure to do adequate due diligence. I would not recommend purchasing a site unless you specifically know how you would add value to the existing business.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Is there a hidden downside to purchasing a website for, lets say, 8k off a site like that, that makes twice that a year mostly on auto-pilot? Then using the income after a year to purchase a more expense site...

Will someone sell a site making $16k a year for $8k that is mostly on auto-pilot? Think about it.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Is buying a website off a marketplace similar to buying a car out of a junk lot; it's just never worth it?
Sometimes buying rather than building from scratch does make more sense.

It's certainly worth buying a car out of a junk lot if you can find hidden gems, or decent ones that need a little work to run better and you're able to get that work done cheap enough to get a positive ROI. Like, say, if you're a mechanic or have access to mechanics.

Will someone sell a site making $16k a year for $8k that is mostly on auto-pilot? Think about it.

Exactly. How much would you sell a $16k/pa passive income for?

Me personally, if I get the bandwidth and the capital, I'd be happy to buy websites/businesses that had proven positive cashflow and that I thought I could grow using my own skills/experience. It might be better than getting it built from scratch.

I have a handful of small investment properties rented out. I didn't build them from scratch.

Downsides to buying a website? You pay over the odds. You buy a revenue stream that you don't actually have control over (all the traffic comes from some dodgy SEO strategy etc).

Last edited:

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Is there something wrong with the websites listed on sites like Flippa or such?

And just working your way up until you own a website that is making whatever income that satisfies you?

I don't see many people suggesting this. Is buying a website off a marketplace similar to buying a car out of a junk lot; it's just never worth it?
There is no hidden downside (if you exclude scams, of course, which always exist - Dane Maxwell talked about it in his AMA here if I remember it right). There is, of course, downside. You can buy a business, but then you have to run it.
Two things:
  • Autopilot? Running a web based business takes work.
  • Your plan works if you never make a losing deal, which is pretty optimistic.
EDIT: the ama post.

Last edited by a moderator:

april6e

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 27, 2012

If I was bored of having to constantly babysit the site and had other successful sites making more, sure.

Companies sell websites for a portion of what it would make in a year. It's not unheard of at all for someone to sell a site for 75%-50% of what it would make in a year.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If I was bored of having to constantly babysit the site and had other successful sites making more, sure.

Companies sell websites for a portion of what it would make in a year. It's not unheard of at all for someone to sell a site for 75%-50% of what it would make in a year.

Then it would not be a mostly passive website. And if you were bored of your site why would you sell for less than what it is worth? Bottom line, people sell for what the website is worth. People on flip pages seem to overpay so it's a great place for a seller to sell some crappy websites.

Also they sell at 50-75% of earnings because:

1) earnings are on a decline
2) their income stream is not consistent
3) the business is at risk of sharp sales declines
4) a lot of marketing and work is required for the income

GSF

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Aug 25, 2012
Do a search for previous sold website listings on Flippa over the past few years, I think there's an option in the advanced search on flippa, and if you look through them you'll notice a lot of the sellers of these sold websites are now banned or suspended for violating flippas terms, last time I checked there were a lot like this

jeffspen

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jun 6, 2015
That would be like google approaching someone like groupon, who makes for instant 5 million turnover, and offers to buy them out for $1m

KLNMSoftly

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 4, 2015
There is definitely merit in buying an established website over building a new one for example, already profitable, proven business model etc.

When purchasing off a marketplace you should do extensive due diligence. When using a broker due diligence is still required but they will only take on websites they know they can sell at a sensible multiple. Try reading this guide on buying an internet business. Should give you all the info you need.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Do your due diligence. If the numbers work, pull the trigger. Report back with results and do an AMA. You will learn something either way!

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
If a site making $16k a year, it'd be cost $16k+ at least.

Someone posted a Flippa slideshow from a few years back, and the multiple was 8. That's a figure I wouldn't expect to vary all that much over time. A $16k site that's legit should cost around $128K minimum, since the 8x includes many poor quality websites being flipped for a much lower multiple.

lucasmello

Business Bear Means Business
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jun 25, 2014
I bought a website last February.

I didn't buy it in Flippa though, I bought in a much smaller website.

Honestly, I didn't buy my business because I thought it would be passive.

I found someone with a website in a place where the market is saturated. Looked around me and realized my market was not saturated. Bought the website, business and stock, and have been running ever since.

It is in no way passive, I work on it daily and have to constantly create/curate content, advertise, etc.

april6e

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
14%
Jan 27, 2012
Someone posted a Flippa slideshow from a few years back, and the multiple was 8. That's a figure I wouldn't expect to vary all that much over time. A $16k site that's legit should cost around $128K minimum, since the 8x includes many poor quality websites being flipped for a much lower multiple.

Under that logic though, you are basically claiming that the vast majority of websites on the site are not legit. That they either are sinking ships or are outright scams.

Are you making that claim?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.