The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Reddit Imploding?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/an...-for-ceos-removal-after-controversial-firing/

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/reddit-amageddon/

Reddit is in revolt, and the front page of the Internet is essentially locked down.

Moderators have all but shut down more than 265 subreddits to protest the termination of Victoria Taylor, the site’s director of talent. She managed the site’s wildly popular “Ask Me Anything”’ interviews that have included celebrities ranging from President Obama to a guy with two penises.

This now would be a good opportunity for someone to add some new tech to a platform which I see is still stuck in the mid 2000's. I hear Voat is having trouble keeping up with the new traffic apparently coming from disillusioned Redditors.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Seems like when Rocketboom fired Amanda Congdon, back in the day. Maybe Reddit will simply re-hire her.

Last edited:

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Reddit looks like a clusterfuck lately. Their executives are completely clueless.
I wondered how they gave Pao the job, now I'm completely shocked by how this person is still in charge. One wonders.

The Wall

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Feb 8, 2015
Reddit looks like a clusterfuck lately. Their executives are completely clueless.
I wondered how they gave Pao the job, now I'm completely shocked by how this person is still in charge. One wonders.

I believe she was only meant to serve as a temporary CEO. As time progressed she just took over the position and wouldn't leave it since, "You'll have to pry this from my cold dead hands" (Ellen Pao)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
There's no viable alternative that's prepared to take on all the new traffic.

During Digg's time, Reddit already existed. When Digg screwed up, Reddit exploded in traffic.

Today, Reddit dodged a bullet since no one was prepared. However, it'll definitely mobilize more competition. If they have another colossal F*ck-up, then there'll be something to worry about. But until then, they're fine.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I wondered the exact same thing about the executives in GM who managed to run a hundred-year-old company into the ground. Welcome to corporate America where credentials and connections supersede common sense.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
I've been reading about Ellen Pao, her love triangles, lawsuits, and lack of technological savvy. They should have let her go when she shut-down the whale-watching sub-reddit because she thought it was for bullying fat people.

Last edited:

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I believe she was only meant to serve as a temporary CEO. As time progressed she just took over the position and wouldn't leave it since, "You'll have to pry this from my cold dead hands" (Ellen Pao)
This is what it looks like, I agree. A temporary CEO doesn't change things - he/she tries to keep things afloat and the status quo intact until the board thinks of something for the future.
I've been reading about Ellen Pao, her love triangles, lawsuits, and lack of technological savvy. They should have let her go when she shut-down the whale-watching sub-reddit because she thought it was for bullying fat people.
She sounds like a joy to have around. But I have learned to trust what I see more than what I read, so I take this kind of anecdotes with a pinch of salt.
But. People shadowbanned for answering one of her posts? in this day and age, you can't go around alienating the user base. The incompetence this woman exhibits is close to insanity.
Which is well exemplified by the whale watching debacle. What is the CEO doing banning subreddits anyway? Speak of micromanaging.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Ellen Pao seems like she was hired to increase "diversity" and minimize "hate". She and her gay African-American husband have sued a number of employers for racial and sexual discrimination. Her attack on politically incorrect sub-reddits have led her to be dubbed "Chairman Pao". The recent Ask-Me-Anything with Jesse Jackson was a disaster for him, and is why Victoria got fired.

www.breitbart.com/big-journalism/2015/07/02/reddit-revolt-flares-again-as-ama-moderator-sacked-the-day-after-a-disastrous-jesse-jackson-qa/

I guess Reddit is going to have to decide if they want to be "family oriented" or "free speech oriented". You can't be both. I've been expecting this since they sold out to Conde Naste, and I'm surprised it took this long to come to a head.

Digg started dieing when Kevin Rose got pushed out by their CEO Jay Adelson. Instead of selling out to Google, Jay wanted to bet the future on the Digg Toolbar. Ellen Pao seems like Reddit's version of Jay Adelson.

As an earlier poster said, Reddit is really lucky there isn't another website waiting to take over, somewhere for everyone to flee to. If they survive this, I bet the next time there WILL be an alternative waiting.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/an...-for-ceos-removal-after-controversial-firing/

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/reddit-amageddon/

This now would be a good opportunity for someone to add some new tech to a platform which I see is still stuck in the mid 2000's. I hear Voat is having trouble keeping up with the new traffic apparently coming from disillusioned Redditors.

I've been watching this shit show for the past few days. Reddits layout is ancient. The only reason that place is even remotely popular is because:

- The voting system for posts

-The user generated content

- The Mods (who are unpaid volunteers)

The ownership there has no idea what they are doing, and are pissing everyone off with sarcastic answers to legit questions.

Ron Dee

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Dec 22, 2014
Minnesota
Wait they shut that down but hosted all the leaked snapchat hacks...interesting

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Voat looks like an exact clone of Reddit. I don't know much about law but couldn't they run into legal trouble?
c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

That's like saying that every blog could be sued, as could every forum. Besides, the reddit platform itself is open source.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
I've been watching this shit show for the past few days. Reddits layout is ancient.

One of my favorite websites on the web right now uses a voting system like Reddit has, unlike Reddit the layout is nice and clean and the individuals who can leave a comment are limited and selected by the founders. This keeps the comments and dialogue clean and intelligent. I agree with MJ, there is a clear opportunity here. Hackernews sucks too.

For those interested in looking at the website, http://www.producthunt.com/ ; most of you have probably heard of it but it's an awesome way to keep up on the latest and greatest apps, technology and more.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.