The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is door to door selling dead?

Marketing, social media, advertising

SweetTooth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 20, 2014
This thread is for those in the direct selling market. I started door to door security system sales 5 months ago, and I've only made 3 sales by myself going out 4-5 times a week. The rest of the sales I've made have been with my boss who's been a door to door salesman for 15 years. Other sales reps with the company are rumored to be having trouble making sales by themselves too. Is the cause of my sales my lack of experience in door to door selling, or is it the product of security systems, or is it the bases of how we are selling the product?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Is the cause of my sales my lack of experience in door to door selling, or is it the product of security systems, or is it the bases of how we are selling the product?
Probably a bit of all three.

Sales people are always in demand though so if you feel like you can sell more but the product is holding you back then just get another sales job and see how you do i.e. car sales are currently booming.

JackWood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 27, 2014
Depends on your market, your product and your own personal skills. My business partner runs a direct marketing company here in Australia and has 50 or so reps out selling various products everyday and him and his reps are doing really well.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
It's all three because it's your point of view that matters.
- you believe your experience matters, it doesn't, you're the expert compared to the person you're talking to (it helps but it doesn't matter)
- you believe it's the product, it's not, everyone needs to feel safe but you have to internalize that buying your alarm system is one of the best ways they can do it or quit and move on.
- it's how you're selling, probably not, door to door sales work, mail/call in leads work better as long as you can justify the ROI.

I believe there are two things separating you and your boss
1) Your belief in yourself
2) I bet you're not working as hard as he/she is.

Sales is a numbers game, door to door sales more so. Ask your boss what the average conversion % is. Your goal is to figure out the average numbers of NO vs YES.

So for example if it takes 14 NOs to get 1 YES out of 15 people. You now know how many people you have to talk to each time you want to make a sale. The numbers always work, even when it doesn't seem like they are.

* here's a freebie * get a Zig Ziglar cd set he sold fire alarms for a while and gives some actionable advice you could use in his examples.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
It's all three because it's your point of view that matters.

Perception is our reality... even if it's not reality in actuality.

1) Your belief in yourself

Spot on.

I bet you're not working as hard as he/she is.

Also extremely likely. Not meant to be a put-down but rarely do outsiders see how hard someone works to get results. If you want massive results, you need to take massive action.

The next thing to note is that maybe they are more skilled in sales than you are. You can cut down a tree in the forest with a spoon but it's going to take about 30 days. Exchange the spoon for an axe and you'll do it in 30 minutes. The difference between the spoon and the axe is skills. Right now it's quite possible you're using a spoon when you need to learn how to use an axe (Metaphorically speaking... don't run around axe-murdering potential clients... while therapeutic -- it's awfully bad for business).

If you're up for a recommendation I would highly suggest a little book called The Ultimate Sales Machine by Chet Holmes. Not saying you should try to revamp your company's entire system of selling (especially if it's working) but at the very least you'll have a way better understanding of how you can approach companies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.