The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Is Apple about to ban ads on iOS?

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
A few months ago, I read something about Apple planning to shutdown part of iAds. It sounded like they were going to still allow apps to utilize other ad networks. Now there is a theory they may ban all ads on iOS. Since they would not lose much money, it would erase 75% of Google's mobile ad revenue, and make for a better user experience - it would be a win-win-win move. IMHO, the only thing they would lose, would be all the crappy apps stuffed full of ads that serve to bury all the real apps. It would clean up the iOS user experience, and make Android look about as appealing as MySpace.

Recently, Apple allowed developers to make ad-blockers for Safari, while Google has banned all ad-blockers since 2012 on Android. That move is beginning to look like it was done to test the concept of removing ads.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/05/27/apples-ios-drives-75-of-googles-mobile-advertising-revenue

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16...ue-apple-can-reintroduce-an-ad-free-internet-

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
if they do this my apps are F*cked... that's what happens for violating the CONTROL principle for me....

or i guess i'll be FORCED to use In App Purchases which i hate, but i gotta make money somehow... and i can't justify charging an entry fee to casual game apps.

Ads at least give me an option to avoid using In App Purchasing... i am disappointed.

If they only ban google though, i could at least find an alternative to ADMOB. It would hurt me in the short term but is fixable.

If apple bans ads COMPLETELY then they're going to F*ck over many more people besides GOOGLE... many many many more people!!!!

Last edited:

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Aint gonna happen. That site was just speculation written from some apple fan boy who is full of pride for apple. He wants to see Apple beat out google now matter what. Wether that means apple does something to push them up, or push down Google.

Mobile revenue for EVERYONE is a huge part of all the internet. Removing mobile ad revenue will starve much of the internet, from Facebook to mommy bloggers and everyone in-between.

Besides, not sure what the legalities of blocking all ads. I can see blocking ads on iOS apps... but that would kill off their app world as many apps are ad driven. If entrepreneurs can't make money there, they'll move elsewhere.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
This is just something they are hoping goes viral b/c speculation often does.

You want "ad free internet re-introduced" it'll be like it was back when it was ad free, not something you'd want to play with in today's world.

stephanduq

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 7, 2013
I hope it happens, monetising free apps should be done at a higher standard then taking prospective users hostage with ads. It will drive many entrepeneurs away, sure. But also keep in mind that those are the entrepeneurs who do not tend to have quality and original apps in the store. For developers who create apps with qualitative value and the general user, it would only be a good thing.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I hope it happens, monetising free apps should be done at a higher standard then taking prospective users hostage with ads. It will drive many entrepeneurs away, sure. But also keep in mind that those are the entrepeneurs who do not tend to have quality and original apps in the store. For developers who create apps with qualitative value and the general user, it would only be a good thing.

There's already strict guidelines in place to prevent intrusive ad placement. It's even recommended by google themselves to implement ads in a tasteful manner to avoid annoying the user who can report the app btw if they wish to, and definitely uninstall it if the ads are annoying.

I would personally think twice before paying for an app, but would always give a free ad supported app a chance.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Aint gonna happen. That site was just speculation written from some apple fan boy who is full of pride for apple. He wants to see Apple beat out google now matter what. Wether that means apple does something to push them up, or push down Google.

Mobile revenue for EVERYONE is a huge part of all the internet. Removing mobile ad revenue will starve much of the internet, from Facebook to mommy bloggers and everyone in-between.

Besides, not sure what the legalities of blocking all ads. I can see blocking ads on iOS apps... but that would kill off their app world as many apps are ad driven. If entrepreneurs can't make money there, they'll move elsewhere.

Starving the internet might be a good thing. Raising the barrier of Entry would increase the quality of goods. It's the "E" is CENTS.

Last edited by a moderator:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
This is just something they are hoping goes viral b/c speculation often does.

You want "ad free internet re-introduced" it'll be like it was back when it was ad free, not something you'd want to play with in today's world.

I would much rather live back in the world with no internet ads. Because then I could found Loogle.

stephanduq

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 7, 2013
There's already strict guidelines in place to prevent intrusive ad placement. It's even recommended by google themselves to implement ads in a tasteful manner to avoid annoying the user who can report the app btw if they wish to, and definitely uninstall it if the ads are annoying.

I would personally think twice before paying for an app, but would always give a free ad supported app a chance.

Most apps on the iOs appstore would not be able to monetize their app in another way. They just exist in the hopes that someone might download it, and give the developer a ad click before deleting it. At the same time, free quality apps with monetisation schemes that benefit Apple, the developer and are not obtrusive to the user in any way, are buried underneath a pile of crap.

Good monetisation should be a barrier of entry for entering the app market.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Most apps on the iOs appstore would not be able to monetize their app in another way. They just exist in the hopes that someone might download it, and give the developer a ad click before deleting it. At the same time, free quality apps with monetisation schemes that benefit Apple, the developer and are not obtrusive to the user in any way, are buried underneath a pile of crap.

Good monetisation should be a barrier of entry for entering the app market.

A free app with ads doesn't automatically make it a crappy app.

The pile of crap apps come from school projects, 5 minute hack jobs... shit like that. They don't even get any downloads or exposure.
If your app doesn't crash or cause anything malicious to happen then it'll be approved by both apple and google.
All this app market saturation actually improves the Entry barrier!!! This is a good thing :)

If i personally try and like some random game app, i would be compelled to share it with friends. That's how entertainment exposure basically works in my opinion.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Some European carriers are now blocking mobile ads until they can get a cut of any revenue generated on their network. Apple seems to have given up on the idea. If Apple can't make money with mobile ads, and removing them would be a free USP - and hurt Google, banning them would make sense.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-giant-Three-to-block-online-advertising.html

"Three is poised to become the first major European mobile operator to block online advertising on its network, signalling a clash with digital publishers and advertising companies.

It is understood that Three, which runs operators in half a dozen European countries including the UK, will next week announce a deal with Shine, a controversial Israeli technology company that specializes in blocking mobile advertising."

"The operator’s announcement will be seen as a watershed in the mobile industry. Executives have long been envious of the profits made by Google and Facebook via their networks, and irritated by the sometimes disruptive character of mobile advertising."

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
Kindle and all app stores need a huge purge. Low barrier to entry = garbage. I will gladly pay money for an app that actually works and has support. Just like I will pay money for a book actually worth a crap instead of a 20 page ad for another $1.99 book.

Plus it would be one more reason for Apple to raise prices, and they love doing that.

All this app market saturation actually improves the Entry barrier!!! This is a good thing :)
No it doesn't. It stays the same and decreases customer trust at the same time. It makes it to where a good app stands out.

If you get found that is.

On a side note, I think low barrier to entry is what stifled ChromeOS. Just a bunch of garbage apps besides Google's.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Kindle and all app stores need a huge purge. Low barrier to entry = garbage. I will gladly pay money for an app that actually works and has support. Just like I will pay money for a book actually worth a crap instead of a 20 page ad for another $1.99 book.

Plus it would be one more reason for Apple to raise prices, and they love doing that.

No it doesn't. It stays the same and decreases customer trust at the same time. It makes it to where a good app stands out.

If you get found that is.

On a side note, I think low barrier to entry is what stifled ChromeOS. Just a bunch of garbage apps besides Google's.

Low entry barrier to publish an app.

High entry barrier to get found, further work required to get past this barrier. That's what i'm saying.

Net result -> higher entry barrier to succeed on the app store thanks to app saturation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.