The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Iphone 6 vs Samsung S5 for promotion giveaway

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Do you guys think that Iphone 6 will be a big hit? I thinking for giving away an Iphone as a promotional for launching my web site. Do you think it's Samsung S5 or 6 (when it comes out) would be a better product to get attention.

I want to make sure that people share/tagging my web site on facebook and twitter. Have you had any experience with smartphone giveaways?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jockinbox

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 8, 2014
Miami, FL
Yeah I've done some "giveaways" on social media, works well sometimes.

Never really mailed anything tho lol

Alveko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 18, 2014
Does a smartphone align with your business and your target audience? if so, great (if you're sure you get a decent following, and thus sales, from giving it away).
If not, you're not really building any quality leads from the contest and you're just giving away a product without actually promoting your business, what it stands for and what value you have to offer them.
But that's just my opinion.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Does a smartphone align with your business and your target audience?
It does but I think the allure will be because it's a new gadget. Right now I don't have any way of making money from the web site. So the goal is to get a following and get people coming back to it.

Last edited:

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Of the options the IPhone is going to attract more attention.

But are people who rely on a website giveaway to get a new phone the type of visitor you're trying to attract? The ones most attracted to that will be those least likely and least able to pay for any content or products sold on your site, amplified by the fact you're now training them to expect free giveaways in return for the "honor" of them visiting your site.

mgore714

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 3, 2012
Of the options the IPhone is going to attract more attention.

But are people who rely on a website giveaway to get a new phone the type of visitor you're trying to attract? The ones most attracted to that will be those least likely and least able to pay for any content or products sold on your site, amplified by the fact you're now training them to expect free giveaways in return for the "honor" of them visiting your site.

This. Unless you've tried giveaways before and know the results, I'd recommend giving away either a product that you sell or that is related to your niche. If your website writes about new phones, then this giveaway will be productive, otherwise consider it a test.

Oh... and I'd go with the iphone.

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
Do you guys think that Iphone 6 will be a big hit?

Do you live under a rock or are you just incapable of doing a bit of research? I wish people on this forum wouldn't ask such idiotic questions.

I thinking for giving away an Iphone as a promotional for launching my web site.

You could be giving away a cooler and people would try to win it.... qualified leads though? Not a shot.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
I guess it would have helped if I told you what the web site is about. I'm launching a Cards Against Humanity clone to play online. Since CAH is released under commons license I can't make any money off of it but it's a stepping stone for the next two web sites that will the money makers.

The major problem with an multiplayer online game is that it's pretty useless unless a lot of people are playing it. I would think giving away a newly released phone would be better than throwing money on ads.

You can check it out at www.atsso.com

But are people who rely on a website giveaway to get a new phone the type of visitor you're trying to attract?

I guess that's true that some visitors are there only for the iphone and I'm fine with that but the people that I want to attract are the early adopters aka nerds. Hopefully there are going to give feedback to make it better.

Last edited:

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Do you live under a rock or are you just incapable of doing a bit of research? I wish people on this forum wouldn't ask such idiotic questions.

:) Yes, actually. I never owned a smartphone and don't want to. It makes people have false sense of importance or productivity.

You could be giving away a cooler and people would try to win it.... qualified leads though? Not a shot.

Right now, I'm not interested in leads. I just want people who find a benefit want to use my web site. Money should never be top priority.

Veloce Grey

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 24, 2014
Well then you'll do better if the prize is either something related to the game, that can be used ingame, or alternatively if you really think the IPhone is the right option for you, then tie it to the game via some sort of competition to achieve some goal in the game.

I'm not familiar with that particular game but plenty of people happily waste time for worthless Steam Achievements and a few years ago I spent an embarrassingly long time on a Fantasy Football league where the prize was a fridge in team colors, despite having no actual need of a fridge at the time.

Using something not linked to the game without some engagement required is just going to attract freebie hunters who jump from site to site for such things and will dump you just as quickly for the next offer.

The plus side is gamers as a group are generally happy to compete for much less expensive prizes than an IPhone, with the fact that so many are teenagers/college students an obvious factor. Tournaments on gaming sites can get a heap of attention from their community for relatively small prices compared to what you'd have to pay to interest an older market. I've seen games with reported playerbases of 1-2 million players where the main tournaments had prizes of $50-$100.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Your choice between, has a certain ring to it, buy it after they tell you

D

DeletedUser397

I agree with others - it may get a lot of attention, but it may generate the wrong attention. You shouldn't just do an iPhone because it's popular, but choose something more in line with your website/business.

You can even make it work with cheaper items, just give away more of them, preferably branded. For instance, if you sell wine, give away bottle openers with your url, and make it into a giveaway.

I've used a giveaway in the past and honestly, it ended up getting the attention, but those people weren't really interested in what I was selling. I gave away an iPad.

If you're looking for better social marketing techniques, look at sites like UpWorthy (there's a lot of copycats popping up too)... it's more about writing good articles with attention-grabbing headlines (IMO). A giveaway is a 1-time thing, expensive, and doesn't last.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
Your choice between, has a certain ring to it, buy it after they tell you
That's a pretty good idea.

Using something not linked to the game without some engagement required is just going to attract freebie hunters who jump from site to site for such things and will dump you just as quickly for the next offer.
That's something to think about.

SGBoise

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 21, 2014
You guys are great. I the more I think about it, it would be better to give away something that relates to the game. I'll just give away 4 complete CAH packs. One each week instead of one expensive item and it will still be cheaper.

Big thanks for your every who chimed in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.