The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Interviewing Attorneys and Accountants - What to Ask?

Peta of JamRock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 10, 2015
Kingston, Jamaica
Hello!

One of the (many) crucial topics covered in TMF was finding the right attorney and accountant to bolster your business from seedling stage to beyond, and that it's as important as choosing the right spouse. I'd rather not just pick from the Yellow Pages and hope for the best.

I had registered as a Sole Proprietor right out of college*. I currently freelance as an illustrator and graphic designer, but developing my own Intellectual Properties was always my main goal so I'd want to make sure I'm protected. Keeping on the good side of the tax administration is another, which is where the accountant would come in. I wouldn't leave everything up to them, of course, but they'd step in where I'd need help and guidance where tax filings are concerned.

So, with that bit of background, what are the key questions I ought to be asking when interviewing attorneys and accountants? Are there any red flags I should look for during the process, even if they give all the right answers?

*Yes, I know it's not an LLC. Don't stone me, please! On top of being much more expensive than Sole Proprietor, it also required a Company Secretary. Long story short, I am not in any position now where I could make use of one (or pay one, for that matter) but that will change later.
You have to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run, right?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Are you sure that you need a lawyer / accountant right now? If you cant afford an LLC, you likely dont need either yet. Remember: sales cure everything. Get some sales first.

On topic: I rely on recommendations. Right now I use the same accountant as my dad and have no lawyer.

Peta of JamRock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 10, 2015
Kingston, Jamaica
Are you sure that you need a lawyer / accountant right now? If you cant afford an LLC, you likely dont need either yet. Remember: sales cure everything. Get some sales first.

On topic: I rely on recommendations. Right now I use the same accountant as my dad and have no lawyer.

Thanks for the advice. It's true that I likely do not need a lawyer right now, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask just in case I run into a situation where I require one.

You said you use the same accountant as your father. If you don't mind me prying into your business, do you use them to help with taxes only, or are there other areas where they'd also be of great and necessary help (even for just advice/guidance)?

Peta of JamRock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Feb 10, 2015
Kingston, Jamaica
Ha! I struck gold.

I called up my old auditing boss (long story) for a referral to an accountant, and she offered to help me with the income/tax filing (YAY!).

Please excuse me while I happy-dance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vassilios

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 5, 2015
I also am running into a problem like this. My company is set up as an S-corp, which is solid, but I need an accountant who can get a little creative. I'm not talking about anything unethical or illegal, but taking advantage of tax breaks and the benefits/negatives of offshoring HQ or creating a holding company and creating multiple companies of what we have now.

My attorney and accountant are good, but they are beyond conservative and simple. They are not versed in these things. When I have asked them they don't know much because they've never dealt with it before.

Has anyone ever found a good attorney and/or accountant without a referral?

Thanks for any input

DreamsCameTrue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
334%
Jun 29, 2014
Hollywood Hills
Bumping this. Did anyone come up with a list of questions or qualifications? My current accountant is pretty good, but he's hard to work with. He rattles off a bunch of accounting jargon at me and I have no idea what he's talking about. He also has this strange, threatening tone to all the things he tells me. I am getting pretty sick of trying to decode all the things he talks about.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.