The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

In need of some motivational advice

Anything related to matters of the mind

Warren.S

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 27, 2015
Hi Fastlaners,
My name is Warren, I just made this account after stumbling across this community while seeking some motivation and I'd really appreciate some assistance from fellow members. I'm 19, partaking in my junior year of university majoring in Aersospace Engineering. I know some of you aren't fans of college, but I go almost free from scholarships/FAFSA due to academics and a poor dependent; so please save the quit wasting time there stuff. I understand the pro's and con's and made my choice. That said, This semester some weird changes occurred in my life: My girlfriend gave birth to our child (not planned, still a blessing nonetheless), my father committed suicide in a rather violent way, and my grieving mother lost her house. Somewhere between balancing these aforementioned things and school, I lost my way. I went into a slump with school, started skipping a lot of classes rather than make the hour and a half each way commute between day care and the campus. Engineering is already regarding as the most difficult discipline; a large majority of people (80% or so) that enter don't graduate from the major, so adding the difficult courses to a large slump completely destroyed my semester. Realizing this just perpetuates my slump further. Right now I'm just cutting my losses and following the course work even though I failed the classes guaranteed already so when I take them again in the summer I'm not starting at ground zero again. I've also noticed a huge correlation between the people I'm around and my motivation (something I'm sure all of you have also taken note of) which is I guess my main reason for wanting to get involved in the community. I made two life friends and the school I went to prior to transferring, both no holds barred world-class geniuses. Being in their presence was so motivating and humbling, and contributed greatly to my motivation for academics and life. Since I left the school, I've basically secluded myself from human interaction to give me more time for school work and other life stuff, and I'd imagine that can't be helping my slump either. Sorry for this being all over the place, I'm just typing what comes to my head for you guys to get to know a little about me before I place my request. Will you assist me, fastlaners? Whether it be advice from those of you who made it to the light at the end of a dark tunnel, or just like minded individuals who would like to keep in touch about anything. Apologies again for the desperate tone, but the path to be the one percent is already a lonely one as I'm sure you know, and I'd rather not go through it alone if I don't have to.

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Warren

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

sector7

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 26, 2015
Welcome to the forum! I am truly sorry to hear you are going through such difficult times. My suggestion to you is to spend as much time with your little one as you possibly can. He will give you the motivation you're looking for and help you forget about the problems you're currently facing. Also, make sure you're there for your mother. She needs you.

Regarding school, I recommend you try your best to pass most of your classes this semester, take the summer off and start the fall semester with a lighter workload (only two or three classes perhaps). Time has a great way of fixing problems. You just have to be patient and not think about the past.

After you get past this difficult phase in your life, you can pursue the fastlane if that's something which interests you.

Stay strong! Good luck!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@MJ DeMarco please edit his user name and his OP as this thread will be google indexed.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Perspective is what you need. Shit sucks, but we all have to deal with stuff. Want things to get better? Get over it as fast as you can and improve your situation.

Here's a true story of a friend I made in college. Mohammed is from Somalia. When I met him I asked why he moved to the U.S., "well they came and killed my family," he said. So he found a way to scrape together enough money, to move to the United States and get enrolled in college so he could get an engineering degree and improve his life. He supports his aunt and his two cousins while doing this.

No matter how shitty my day is, I think about Mohammed and think to myself, "Man I have it easy."

Not sure if that helps you, but there's a way through every storm, just gotta find your wipers to steer through it.

Warren.S

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 27, 2015
Thank you for the advice guys. I didn't mean to come off as a pity party who's giving up; I have no intention of failure in the slightest no matter how much I may have to go through. And in regard to your friend Mohammed, I also met a pre med student (named Mohammed, coincidentally) who shared a similar story. Basically, between the US drone strikes and insurgents most of his family was killed in Iraq and he moved here with nothing but the clothes on his back to get his doctorate and help those in need. Never heard him complain once either. Powerful stuff. I've never complained about my situation either and didn't want it to come off as such, as I know for a fact one day when all is said and done I'll be thankful for the struggles that made the person I am/will be. Moreso the message was just for support from other like minded individuals and their journeys/experiences :) Most people I meet are either in school because it's what is expected nowadays or are just coasting through life; hard to find people with a fire lit under their a$$ and I was hoping to meet some people here that fit the latter

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Thank you for the advice guys. I didn't mean to come off as a pity party who's giving up; I have no intention of failure in the slightest no matter how much I may have to go through. And in regard to your friend Mohammed, I also met a pre med student (named Mohammed, coincidentally) who shared a similar story. Basically, between the US drone strikes and insurgents most of his family was killed in Iraq and he moved here with nothing but the clothes on his back to get his doctorate and help those in need. Never heard him complain once either. Powerful stuff. I've never complained about my situation either and didn't want it to come off as such, as I know for a fact one day when all is said and done I'll be thankful for the struggles that made the person I am/will be. Moreso the message was just for support from other like minded individuals and their journeys/experiences :) Most people I meet are either in school because it's what is expected nowadays or are just coasting through life; hard to find people with a fire lit under their a$$ and I was hoping to meet some people here that fit the latter

Have you read The Millionaire Fastlane ?

Warren.S

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 27, 2015
I have not. Joined this site about 30 seconds before I posted this thread. Guessing I should probably read that asap?

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I have not. Joined this site about 30 seconds before I posted this thread. Guessing I should probably read that asap?

It's up to you. I doubt you'll find anyone here recommending you don't read it. If you can't afford a copy PM me your address (or p.o. box) and I'll send you a copy.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
W.

Very interesting post you just wrote as it hits very close to home. Death, loved ones struggling, and in the middle of engineering school. I say interesting because it's exactly what I faced.

Grieving is good, natural, and healthy. Make sure you go through the emotions you need to. The sooner you take care of that, the sooner you can start laying down the plan you feel is best for living the life you and your family deserve

For me, I left engineering school because of one point. That was and is, the chances of me coming put of 4 years of schooling and making mlsix figures was much lower than if I invest 4 years of building my business.

Business is NOT for everyone and engineering is a respectable career. You'll have to mull it over some and decide for yourself. 80% fail school. 99% fail business. But if you can pull it off....Well, it's damn better.

Warren.S

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 27, 2015
Thank you for your reply AlterJoule, seeing someone who went through the same thing is refreshing. How far did you make it through school before you made the decision to leave? I have no ill will towards business, as eventually I plan to start a firm assuming I can find others from different engineering disciplines with good business sense and incredible talent. Engineering school and working a 9-5 for someone making them money isn't my endgame; I'm sure if you were in engineering school you see how closely tied engineering economics and entrepreneurship are, and I full well want to dive into that eventually, but all in due time. I know for a fact that, like you said, investing the time into starting a business would pay out much more than an engineering degree, but for the time being, since I have a family to worry about and failing wouldn't only hurt me anymore, a degree and a steady, well-paying job is a good start. 20% success rate > 1% success rate, especially when that 20% gives me the opportunity to *safely* enter that one percent later in life. (by safely I mean the ability to recover from potential losses). I'd like to hear more about your story if that's okay with you and you want to pm me!

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
frabz-Red-or-Blue-Take-the-blue-pill-and-the-story-ends-Take-the-red-p-9579b1.jpg

The blue pill = Don't read TMF
The red pill = Read it.

Warren.S

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 27, 2015
I'm gonna have to be going with the red pill...The blue pill sounds like it comes with a side of Plebeian:D Nice touch with the picture though haha.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.