The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I'm really bad at math. Need help figuring out this allocation

Anything related to investing, including crypto
D

DeletedUser394

I need to divide 2 specific assets.

Group A has to represent 90%
Group B has to represent 10%

I don't know the value of group B.

Let's say the value of Group A is $45,000, how do you figure out Group B so that it represents 10% of Group A + B, and not just 10% of Group A?

What's the math behind this? I'm assuming it's simple fractions, but it's been a while... lol

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpmartin

Jedi Master
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 7, 2013
Simple way of doing this...

45,000 represents 90% (or .90) >>> so basically do 45,000 / .9 = 50,000. So you get for the full 100% = 50,000. Now you know what 10% represents, 10% of 50,000 = 5,000.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
It's coming to the point where I need to sharpen my math skills too man. With the help of technology though, lol.

Do any of you guys regularly use physical financial calculators? I was given an HP 12c calculator ... I barely know how to use it though.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I do not use a finance calculator, but you might be able to find a few useful things in the links below

http://bookboon.com/en/accounting-and-finance-ebooks
A free ebook website with all kinds of subjects covered

https://www.khanacademy.org/
Touch up on those math skills

https://www.udemy.com/accounting-in-60-minutes-a-brief-introduction/
I haven't taken this course, but you might find it useful

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Last edited:
D

DeletedUser394

Thanks for the responses guys.

I picked some simple numbers because I was looking for the principle behind the calculation, which a few people shared which is great.

The actual numbers aren't easily divisible, but now I know how to do it :)

Thanks again!

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
The actual numbers aren't easily divisible
Dude, you are killing me
windows has a calculator built right in to it
the buttons are all about the same difficulty to push
:headbanger:

D

DeletedUser394

Dude, you are killing me
windows has a calculator built right in to it
the buttons are all about the same difficulty to push
:headbanger:

You're both misunderstanding me.

I know exactly how to do the calculations now.

My point was that the original numbers I picked above are easy enough to figure out in your head just by looking at it (assuming one knows the proper calculation). That's why they were chosen to be used as examples.

That's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
You're both misunderstanding me.

I know exactly how to do the calculations now.

My point was that the original numbers I picked above are easy enough to figure out in your head just by looking at it (assuming one knows the proper calculation). That's why they were chosen to be used as examples.

That's it.
I know man, im just giving you a hard time

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go start a thread asking what Facebook is ;)

D

DeletedUser394

I had to share this. I use imgur.com for my art class (more boring than I expected) and just when I was about to log in -- I see this trending image on the home page. Lol

http://imgur.com/gallery/VpU238j

Look at the comments. We're not alone! :joyful:

haha nice man.

I actually use a calculator for even the simplest calculations when doing my accounting. I'll do it in my head, but need to confirm with a calculator before inputting orders/financials.

Got to keep the ego in check occasionally so it doesn't interfere with the money game.

Durete

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 16, 2012
I actually use a calculator for even the simplest calculations when doing my accounting. I'll do it in my head, but need to confirm with a calculator before inputting orders/financials.

Same here...
Calculating everything in my head first, to keep the mind sharp.
But since it's money and not even $0.01 can be off, gotta double check it with a calculator..

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
Pssh... silly fastlaners.
Everybody knows calculators are only useful for one thing: Typing the word "BOOBS" and giggling ("BOOBIES" if you're really high level).

Oh and be glad you don't have to use this one:
FIGWhEN.jpg

(Would keep you on your toes, though.)

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It is easy to forget here that Math (US) and Maths (UK) don't come easy to everyone. Also I would imagine the average IQ on this site has to be quite a bit higher than the general populous simply because of the type of people it mainly attracts so a good place to ask questions.

@RichKid could have tried to find out via Google (but probably didn't know how to word the search query) or gone to some math forum and asked but he chose to post on a forum he has been a long-term contributing member of and ask his peers. I think that's commendable myself and certainly nothing to chastise over or make fun of.

Asking questions we don't know the answer of is how we learn. To me that shows intelligence and commitment to development.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
It's coming to the point where I need to sharpen my math skills too man. With the help of technology though, lol.
Sadly, I am in the same boat. Use it or lose it I guess, I don't need to do much math in my day to day activities. I was helping this girl with her calc and algebra homework last week and I was literally lost. I felt like such a dumbass.

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
...and this is exactly why I registered remedialfinance.com years ago (but still haven't put up a site). Simple math is not so simple. It's shocking how often percentages are misused, for example. 150 is a 50% increase/gain from 100, but 150% of 100 - I see this get messed up all the time when people compare quantities (sales, stock prices, etc) over time ("sales are up 50% from last year" vs "sales are 150% of last year's results"). Also, going from 150 back down to 100 is only a 33.3% decrease, NOT a 50% decrease. The percentage change from A to B is different than the percentage change from B to A. I see people using the same percentage both directions as if it were the same as adding or subtracting a number.

I have at least a dozen good ideas for articles for this site, and it's a pretty unique angle I haven't seen anywhere else. If anyone can come up with a good way to monetize it (ads won't cut it, and I'm not sure how to make an ebook if everything is already on the site) I'll do it, that's been the only thing stopping me.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hey there's a business math class at a college near you. Take one!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
@GravyBoat I was looking...and I might start doing some relevant Khan Academy modules during the Winter. Most of my future college classes will involve a lot of math so I need to prepare for that. I just need to be more efficient if I actually plan to stick with more studying (just so much, lol).

Use it or lose it. It applies to so many things, but definitely applies to cognitive performance and memory. Haha! Don't feel bad. The best option then is to practice the practical math.

@mt_myke I very recently tweeted to lynda.com's Twitter account suggesting they make a course on how to use the most popular financial calculators. If you know how and are willing to teach, emailing them about it might be a good idea. The person behind their Twitter account said they'd share my feedback with the team, so they will most likely be looking for people to make the course.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I always hated math. In college they made me take four math classes, and now I see it actually helps you be a critical think and problem solver. It stretches your brain more than one way. I literally hated it. Just glad those days are over. :)

G

GuestUser112

I have at least a dozen good ideas for articles for this site, and it's a pretty unique angle I haven't seen anywhere else. If anyone can come up with a good way to monetize it (ads won't cut it, and I'm not sure how to make an ebook if everything is already on the site) I'll do it, that's been the only thing stopping me.

Why won't ads cut it? You could advertise for universities, colleges, etc.

An ebook might work if you focus on 'neuroplasticity' and talk about how doing different exercises will help the 'logical' side of your brain. Then just fill up a bunch of printable worksheets with math equations like a Kumon book for adults. You're basically competing with every company in the education industry though so if you want to make money you gotta be serious about it.

For a niche like 'improving basic math', you would probably have good luck if you made it relevant, as in addressing these needs:

• calculating mortgage
  • calculating grocery bill
  • calculating energy usage (put up generic figures for refrigerators, computers, etc)
  • calculating gasoline bill (vehicle mileage, price of gas, miles per day)

Just off the top of my head anyway. Might not be worth it, I don't know.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.