The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

If You Were 18 Again...

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
So, if you were 18 again what steps would you have taken to ride The Fastlane. Or would you have even wanted to step on The Fastlane at that age? Could you and/or would you have began a business during that time? Or would you have just try and gain as much knowledge as possible? It's pointless to have regrets but if you could do it all over again what would you have tried to accomplish?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tristan2k0

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Aug 4, 2014
Southern Colorado
Hey can one of the mods or admin delete this? I haven't figured out how and I dont want to be spamming up the forum, my apologies!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I absolutely wanted to make it to the fastlane but I had very little direction. I really wish this forum was around back then but anyways.

Right now I would look at a few options.

Option 1: Start some type of service business based on skills you hopefully have already. By the time I was your age I had a decent amount of construction experience etc. Think about what you can do like landscaping, painting, cleaning houses, washing windows, power washing, dog walking, the list is pretty much endless. Start something like that and do not quite until you are making a living wage, say $50k for argument sake. This will be 10x better of an education then college ever will be and instead of going into debt like all your friends you get to make money, in fact most likely more then your college friends will upon their graduations. I thought about this many times but everybody always told me I could never make it doing something like this and I had better go to college because that was the only way to be successful. In fact that above quote applies to all my options. Trust me they were very wrong I have come across many multimillionaires over the years who got started doing things like this.

Option 2: Go to the oilfields and start make $. Not sure how hot the job market is now but a few years ago they were dieing to get people and young kids were able to bank some serious cash after putting in a few years. The work will be hard and dangerous but the biggest risk is to your bank roll. Do not waste all your money boozing etc. and do not buy a 60k truck. Just save every penny you can and by 30 you can have quite the nest egg. It's not fastlane but it can be if you keep your eyes open and you'll have the $ to make a move. Worst case you never start the next facebook but you retire young enough to do other things. PS. this can also be applied to other trades as well, I had a friend who was making six figures working as a union tradesman, while I was still in school, and in many cases you can either buy or open your own business within your given field. Just make sure to take care of your body and try to stay in shape (you should do this anyways) other wise you might end up broken down.

Option 3: Go get a sales job, doesn't matter how shitty it is or how crappy the pay just do it and do it until you are at the top. The beautiful thing about sales, although it is one of the highest paying professions, it requires little education. All anybody cares about is can you sell/ make them money. Just like anything in life sales is a skill and the earlier you start learning the better. I had a D2D sales job in college that sucked and remember all the negativity I got for it from friends and family. Consequently I didn't take it seriously and didn't learn nearly as much as i could have and should have. Again by the time your friends graduation college, loaded with debt, you could be making well into the six figures. Plus this is one of the most important skills you can ever learn. Want to get a job, guess what you have to do at the interview. Want to start a business guess what you have to do with your products. Want to raise money guess what you need to do for investors. Want to go out with that pretty girl, go sell yourself. You get the idea.

Option 4: Find something you want to do and then find a mentor. Approach him, sell him why he should invest in you, and offer to work for him for free. If you find the right person you will get a priceless education, and working/ learning for free is still cheaper then college. Plus, if you starting adding value it is very likely it will either lead to a job or compensation through other avenues. Again by the time your friends graduate with tons of debt you will already have a marketable skill, work experience, and hopefully a mutually beneficial relationship that will be priceless.

I'm sure there is more but these are the first 4 that came to my head looking back on what I wished I had done.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Interesting. 18 is different than 25.

My stepson is nearly 17. Wants to go to college to study computing, because he likes playing games. I don't think he'll like it and I don't think he will like the work when/if he graduates.

Obviously his choice. I would prefer he did a digital marketing degree. (More chance of meeting girls too... maybe I will take that angle... lol.)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.