The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

IDEA - Online City Directory

Idea threads

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Hello Fastlaners,

I have a great idea in my mind and I would be glad if you would share your opinion, feedback with me.

1. The idea:
I would like to create an online directory (+mobile app) with a map where users can find EVERYTHING (every place) they are searching for.

As I live in Bucharest, Romania, my first city would be Bucharest.

The idea basically is that I will make a huge database with ALL the SMEs (Small to Medium Enterprises) and bigger enterprises from all over the city (from dentists to small grocery shops, and from flower shops to restaurants) with exact location and I will make a map where every place will be available for users.

2. Start in small
Because I don't have too much money to invest, as a start I will buy a Wordpress theme like THIS and I will start uploading listings with exact location, picture and with some additional information.

I will hire some kids with 1-2 RON / listing ($0.3-$0.06) and I will try to list as many shops, hairdressers, banks, restaurants, etc. as possible. In my opinion just the database with all the open SMEs in a city would have a big value.

3. From investment to a Fastlane business
After listing, let's say the 20%-30% of all the locations, doing some advertising and working on the websites SEO, the goal is to offer premium account for listings and users too. The goal is to reach a point when businesses will register alone in our directory because it will help their online presence and will help them grow.

For the users is essential to have as many locations as possible in order to be worth using it so we will constantly add new listings as "standard listings".

LISTINGS:
Standard listings:

- JUST A DOT (will appear on the map with no additional information)
- no name
- no description
- no information
- no picture

Premium listing: (different packages)
- will appear on map with information
- name
- picture
- description
- additional information
- own editable page with gallery etc.

USERS:
Standard users:

- will see all the premium listings, but they will see "standard listings" just with a dot with no name/information

Premium users: - (really low price) - money should come from listings
- will see "standard listings" with full details also (as "premium listings")

HOW? You may ask.

As I mentioned we will constantly upload new listings, and we will do it with all the necessary information. We will make "premium listings" in our own, but we won't activate it until the owner pays. These premium listings will be available just for premium users.

This way we can promote listings for enterprises more easily.
The listing is already created for you, it just needs an activation!

4. Final goal
Our final goal is to list ALL the open businesses in Bucharest and to be the first option for users when they are looking for anything.
We have to have a mobile app which should be used by all the people who lives is Bucharest or visits Bucharest.
We have to be at first place in Google search for any kind of search for Bucharest like:
- dentist Bucharest, hairdresser Bucharest, restaurant Bucharest.

5. Scaling UP
If in Bucharest our services would be a success, we could do the same in other cities, but WE WON'T.

FRANCHISE -> Automation

We will offer our tools, domain, brand, know-how for entrepreneurs to create this service in ANY city they want. This way no more work for us, but we will grow fast and money will keep coming :)

Any thoughts? Ideas? Recomandations?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I know of a similar site, let me just find the url

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
I know of a similar site, let me just find the url

Ok. I'm waiting, that would be a great help.
However here in Bucharest we have no such thing. For restaurants and clubs maybe, but not for everything.

And don't forget what MJ would say:
"You’ve got a great idea, but someone is already doing it? So what. Do it better!"

Threenuc

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 3, 2014
Poland
if I want to buy a banana or if I want to buy flowers I can see where can I find the nearest grocery or flower shop near me.
Does Google offers this? I don't think so.

I think it does.

Here's what I did (where can I buy flowers?):
1. Go into google translate and translate "flower shop" into Romainian (it's "florar", no?)
2. Go into Google Maps, move view to Bucharest, search "florar" in nearby areas
3. Boom, http://i.imgur.com/ltjF5mE.jpg

Banana
1. Translate "grocery store" (magazin alimentar, no?) -> google maps
2. http://i.imgur.com/Yr0SCl8.jpg

I mean, I can see how you think up this business and think "holy shit, this is so cool", but a business's first priority isn't being cool, it's solving a problem.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
@Daniel M. - no disrespect intended, we all have plenty of shit ideas. You only need to hit it big once, you can be wrong 10000000 times before that. Furthermore who the f am I to say it sucks, if you believe in it, shoot for the stars.

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
I really appriciate your feedback, that's exactly why I posted here.

But still, the idea is much more complex.
Maybe I couldn't write it down exactly what I mean by this.

1. Google gives you 10-20% of all the places you are searching for. (at least here in Bucharest)
2. Nobody is using Google for this purpose exactly because of #1. It is pointless.
3. Google is making this on a lower level, but there are a lot of things to improve. Google is not focusing on this.
Let say it this way. I will take this part out of Google and I will make it better. (Which is true because I'm also using Google Maps).

1. The idea is that when someone opens the site/app, the map will open exactly where he/she is, based on location.
Then he selects what he wants to see and he will get a map with pinpoints near him.

2. Everyone is searching using Google. Dentist, flower shop, hairdresser, mechanic ... If I would manage to put my site on first place, businesses would pay to appear on my site, they wouldn't want to be left out.

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
I own a domain if you wish to buy it.

findthetrade.com

PM me if you want to purchase ;)

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
I own a domain if you wish to buy it.

findthetrade.com

PM me if you want to purchase ;)

I don't think that this would be a perfect fit for me, but thanks for your offer.
I'll let you know if I want to buy it.

Charmander

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Feb 20, 2015
Slovakia
grow fast and money will keep coming
Grow fast, and Google will soon implement what you have to offer into their site and crush you "like the cockroach you are". No offence lol.

Because ANY competitor can add what you just described if they see it´s making money(because you obviously can´t patent an idea like this). And hell, Google would be the first to do it, since 90% + of their income only comes from ads. Why wouldn´t they make themselves more income?

And all of this is just beyond the point. Do you really think a company(and especially some startup/small one on a tight budget) is going to advertise on a platform with basically no users?

First come the inventors, then the copycats, then the idiots. Do not be the Xth company trying to create another social network (just an example-but it seems we are taking on google and yahoo this time).

Recomandations?
Kill this idea before you lose all your money on it.

Last edited:

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
Grow fast, and Google will soon implement what you have to offer into their site and crush you "like the cockroach you are". No offence lol.

Because ANY competitor can add what you just described if they see it´s making money(because you obviously can´t patent an idea like this). And hell, Google would be the first to do it, since 90% + of their income only comes from ads. Why wouldn´t make themselves more income?

And all of this is just beyond the point. Do you really think a company(and especially some startup/small one on a tight budget) is going to advertise on a platform with basically no users?

First come the inventors, then the copycats, then the idiots. Do not be the Xth company trying to create another social network (just an example-but it seems we are taking on google and yahoo this time).

Kill this idea before you lose all your money on it.

To be honest, I`d listen to the above advice. Its sound.

I brought findthetrade.com as I had the same idea.

Spent a lot of time in research and pre-sales to find that 99% people mention Google & Google places.

I can charm the birds out of the trees (I have been told); but I struggled to sell this.
It might be possible to find your niche in your area but I doubt it can scale.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hmmm... quite a few similar ideas to this popping up recently.

They're all based around a premise of creating a directory, or "signing up businesses", and THEN sending them leads. The goal being to produce some "platform".

IMO, it's the other way round. Generate leads first (consumers with needs), and use them to sign up businesses (businesses with needs).

I don't think you need a platform to start this.

Good luck either way.

EDIT: This thread might be helpful: www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/creating-a-new-platform-community.58870/#post-445292

Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.