The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Idea Extraction question

Idea threads

juicemania

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 29, 2014
Indiana
So I've just began cold emailing and cold calling a number of people within the industry I've chosen. I'm using a couple different email templates during my cold email process. One that basically says I'm a student doing some research on the particular industry, and the other which says I'm a software developer. I get a much higher response rate (%5-%10) when using the student approach as opposed to saying im a software developer (~1%). Makes sense, most people would wanna help out a student.

My only issue is that I'm not a student and haven't been for about 4 years. Most of what I've read about cold emailing during the IE phase says to use the student approach. This isn't a problem most of the time because people normally don't ask anything about you being a student. But once in a while they do and they want to know what courses your taking, major/minor etc. Has anybody ran into this situation? How'd you handle it?

I've since been using the developer (the truth) approach. Now, I just go straight to cold calling, even though it sucks lol, i've been getting a better response when I just cold call right off the bat.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Basilius

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Feb 26, 2015
Czech Republic
I haven't done cold emailing myself, so can't help you with that. I just wanted to ask if cold emailing is the best way to go. Have you tried other channels of communication? Or can you use some knowledge about the people you're emailing to increase the engagement?

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
My only issue is that I'm not a student and haven't been for about 4 years.

Business relationships are built on trust. If you are caught, you can kiss that potential opportunity good bye.

Be persistent and try to make cold calling fun for yourself. See it as a challenge instead of saying it "sucks."

Butschal

Minister of Silly Walks
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 24, 2015
Pennsylvania
What Paul Robert said is obviously correct. However if you are just datamining, and don't plan on using these guys in the future, you can say whatever you want.

MJ said it in his book, it doesn't really matter who you are, it only matters who people think you are. Say you are a CEO, VP of Sales, etc if it will get you better results, just don't lie to the people you will be doing business with.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.