The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I need to start writing a journal

Anything related to matters of the mind

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
I started to write a new thread and halfway through I answered my own question. Obviously, I did not post that thread; which brings me to this thread. I need to keep a daily journal. Write down everything I did that day, write down any progress, negative and positive things that I did or happened to me, who I saw, any distractions, what I did throughout the day, everything. I feel like this is a better way to answer my own questions. It seems like its a reality check on the person that I am vs the person I want to become. I feel like this could be the best tool anybody can have.
To those who do write daily journals, I have a few questions.
- How do you write down/categorize your day? do you split things up or just keep everything in one big paragraph?
- How often to you go back and review your journal?
- How honest are you with yourself in your journal? (Seems like a silly question, but essential)
- What other pointers could you offer?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I believe there are a few threads on this already but Ill jump in...

I track 5 main things everyday:

-Input (what I read, studied or listened too that was productive)

-Output (what I worked on that day that is getting me towards my goals)

-Income (my main job plus any additional incomes -ebook and app)

-Expenditure (bills/food/purchases - plus my average daily cost: rent+bills+insurance+phone/30)

-Goals (top 5 goals for that day with my one or two main goals)

At the end of the day I take my expenditure from my income and I calculate how much time I spent learning and also taking action.
Those figures go at the bottom of the page

At the end of the week I add up all the figures and have a look at where I can approve.

I also have an additional section where I track that I followed my full morning routine and also that I planned the next day before I went to bed.

Last edited:

dompie85

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 16, 2015
Houston, Texas
If there are other threads on this topic, I apologize. I'll have a search now.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
It's quite relaxing recording the day's events.

Instead of paragraphs I mindmap the days event's and include a quick
summation to flesh the even out a little bit.

I tried using an audio recorder but it became annoying when I wanted to quickly
revisit a specific event.

Aleksandra88

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Nov 27, 2015
Poland
Hi, you read my mind starting this thread! I started a journal which keeps track of things I do, because I tend to get lost on the way.

"- How do you write down/categorize your day? do you split things up or just keep everything in one big paragraph?
- How honest are you with yourself in your journal? (Seems like a silly question, but essential)
- What other pointers could you offer?"

1. I split the categories (see below), and have one "other" category each day. One page=one day
2. I review each week. Other than that sometimes I go back for one specific reason (ex. review what I did to chieve long-tem goal)
3. 100%. At least I try.
4. My way i to write in the morning (3-5min) and in the evening (3-5min). Sometimes I take note during the day if I have some idea.

I'm doing it for 3 months so far, I'm not an expert, but hope this helps. My ideas for categories so far:
- (morning) 3 things I'm grateful for today (to get up my mood and keep me going)
- (morning) main goal for today
- (morning) things that would make this day better (ex. going to gym, meeting friends)
- (evening) what I learned today
- (evening) what I did - productive things only
+ a weekly review of my long term goals

Numbers 1 and 3 are important to me because I tend to forget about the good things that happen and get depressed. I want to have record of the good in my life to reiew in bad times.

I'll be watching this thread in future and hope for further inspiration!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I probably should keep a journal, but I don't, simply because I'm a writer, so I already kind of do that by creating content.
I suppose I would write what I accomplish or important information I think I would need for projects, but fortunately I just write that in a notebook specifically for that intention, more than just a journal.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
I started to write a new thread and halfway through I answered my own question. Obviously, I did not post that thread; which brings me to this thread. I need to keep a daily journal. Write down everything I did that day, write down any progress, negative and positive things that I did or happened to me, who I saw, any distractions, what I did throughout the day, everything. I feel like this is a better way to answer my own questions. It seems like its a reality check on the person that I am vs the person I want to become. I feel like this could be the best tool anybody can have.
To those who do write daily journals, I have a few questions.
- How do you write down/categorize your day? do you split things up or just keep everything in one big paragraph?
- What other pointers could you offer?

Thanks!
A member pointed this link out to me and i think it would be helpful.

https://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/2...e&show_recommendations=false&view_mode=scroll

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.