The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I am confused about ebay fees

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
So if I read correctly then this is the break down of the fees:

Ebay fee: 10%
Paypal fee: 2.9% + 0.30 per transaction

I sold an item for 85.99 and I have 83.20 in my paypal account.

Obviously I'm not complaining about having more than expected.. But can someone who is experienced with ebay please tell me what I am missing here?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could break down the math with an example.

Am I a complete idiot when it comes to math (completely possible) or am I just missing something here?

Edit: By the way, I offered free shipping. I don't know if that helps?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
So if I read correctly then this is the break down of the fees:

Ebay fee: 10%
Paypal fee: 2.9% + 0.30 per transaction

I sold an item for 85.99 and I have 83.20 in my paypal account.

Obviously I'm not complaining about having more than expected.. But can someone who is experienced with ebay please tell me what I am missing here?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could break down the math with an example.

Am I a complete idiot when it comes to math (completely possible) or am I just missing something here?

Edit: By the way, I offered free shipping. I don't know if that helps?
The 10% is billed separately.

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
Does anyone have any idea as to why when I go to view my invoice on ebay it says that $9.90 will be deducted between Jan 29th - Jan 31st.

If I sold the item for 85.99 shouldn't the amount being deducted be $8.60? (10%)

Bossopolis

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Jan 13, 2015
Your eBay fees should be a lot less if you do it right...

This is the calculator on eBay site

http://www.fees.ebay.com/feeweb/feecalculator

Your eBay fees depend on:

1) Your category: range from 4% to 9% if you have a STORE subscription - starts at $15.95 / month (will pay for itself quickly)
http://pages.ebay.com/sellerinformation/ebay-fee-structure

2) If you have TOP RATED powerseller status you get a 20% discount off these fees as well
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/top-rated.html

3) Of course also depends on the other options: Auction vs. Buy it now, Gallery, Bold, etc...

Here is the link to the actual Paypal fees (which will vary by volume of sales, etc...)

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/merchant-fees

Take care

Lathan

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2013
This is the calculator on eBay site
Yea, I used this calculator the other day and it gave me $8.60 which is what I got when I did the math myself. But I don't know where the 9.90 is coming from. I thought maybe it was listing fees but I've done all fixed price listings and I guess the first 50 listings per month is free from what I read. Plus I remember seeing when I listed that it said my total listing fee was 0. So idk. The only other thing I've sold on this ebay account is a pair of earrings but that was only 99 cents (did it to test something).

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. Ebay isn't letting me list anything now either. When I click list it, the page just refreshes and nothing happens. I have 17 dvds/games ready to be listed so it's kind of annoying. Wasn't letting me yesterday, now it won't let me today :)

Last edited:

Ron D

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 15, 2015
Don't be afraid to give ebay customer service a call about an issue. I have always had good experiences with them. Most questions can be answered online though

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.