The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How/Why did you choose your niche?

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
So I've got my million dollar idea (LOL, I know), but the obstacles so far are tremendous. I've got a provisional patent app being processed simply because I've been studying patents and it was cheap to file. I need to get a prototype designed and built and will also be dealing with a pharmaceutical. I never done anything like this before, and I have no idea what I'm doing, so it should be interesting.

In the meantime, I need to work on generating revenue to pay for this.

I see a lot of the popular paths here are:

Self Publishing
Importing
Flipping on ebay/craigslist
Services (odesk, etc)
App development/Programming

Not really considering the app programming since it has a huge learning curve and tons of competition. Plus I have no interest in it.

So that leaves the rest. I have no sales experience what-so-ever. I need to get started on something this weekend since I have tons of time at my disposal over the next three days.

I was just curious why people choose the paths they choose. For me, there's really no obvious pull towards any of those options and I hate just picking something at random.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
CPC < EPC

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
So I've got my million dollar idea (LOL, I know), but the obstacles so far are tremendous. I've got a provisional patent app being processed simply because I've been studying patents and it was cheap to file. I need to get a prototype designed and built and will also be dealing with a pharmaceutical. I never done anything like this before, and I have no idea what I'm doing, so it should be interesting.

In the meantime, I need to work on generating revenue to pay for this.

I see a lot of the popular paths here are:

Self Publishing
Importing
Flipping on ebay/craigslist
Services (odesk, etc)
App development/Programming

Not really considering the app programming since it has a huge learning curve and tons of competition. Plus I have no interest in it.

So that leaves the rest. I have no sales experience what-so-ever. I need to get started on something this weekend since I have tons of time at my disposal over the next three days.

I was just curious why people choose the paths they choose. For me, there's really no obvious pull towards any of those options and I hate just picking something at random.

Those aren't niches, they are just ways HOW to deliver value to your market.

Don't think "I'm going to make money by flipping on eBay".

Instead, think "There are people who would like to sell their Xbox and make a little cash. There are people who want an Xbox but don't want to pay for a brand new one. How can I help them?"

WHAT you're doing and WHY is much more important than HOW.

Maybe you can help those two people above without flipping on eBay? Maybe there's other better or simpler ways.

This post might help:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I went the freelancing route when I was in your position because I could get started right away.

Now I'm in the niche my hobby/passion is in, because I know the common problems and how to fix them,
and my competition focuses too much on tradition than solving problems and providing value.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
Wish I could freelance. I'm in IT and already having a full time job, doing IT after hours can be a huge PITA. Also, I've done side jobs for people and it turns into "Well, you were the last person to touch my computer, so you are automatically responsible for everything that goes wrong with it FOREVER!!" syndrome. ;)

I've been reading the importing thread from Walter Hay and Ecom Man and am going to try my hand at importing. It's something that can be done after hours and with a modest upfront monetary investment.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
"Well, you were the last person to touch my computer, so you are automatically responsible for everything that goes wrong with it FOREVER!!"
Haha, I can relate to that.
I'm not in IT, but I learned the hard way to never sell a friend a used car.

Have you thought about offering a big player company a license for your idea?
Since you already have the provisional patent, and you wouldn't even need a prototype.

Last edited:

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
I am seeing momentum kick up through the people I meet and hearing what they do,The NICHE I am in found me under circumstance, and truthfully, wasn't anything I was trying at the time.There are so many possibilities and I am enthused and confident I will do really well with this NICHE the Hospitality-Housing.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
...I was just curious why people choose the paths they choose. For me, there's really no obvious pull towards any of those options and I hate just picking something at random.

CENTS

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
Have you thought about offering a big player company a license for your idea?
Since you already have the provisional patent, you wouldn't even need prototype.

Absolutely. If I had a working prototype, it would have a much greater impact though on potential licensees. I'd even be up to pitching it on shark tank at that point. I've read "One Simple Idea" recently just to get some guidance on that avenue.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.