The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Walking in Nature Changes the Brain

Anything related to matters of the mind

Do you or would you purposefully spend time outdoors in order to help your thought processes?

• Yes, I find it beneficial

Votes: 25 100.0%
  • Hell no, thats for tree huggers.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but I might try it now I've read the article.

• Read the article and the answer is still no.

• Total voters

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I have spent the last 5 weeks in 2 major cities here and overseas. I have enjoyed every minute of my time there in both work and recreation with only the occasional feelings of missing my family to sour the experience. Both cities are amazing and provide everything one could want.

However, after flying home late last night the first thing I wanted to do this morning was get out into nature, to spend time in the solitude of the forest that I am so fortunate to live in. No music, no podcasts no human company. Just me my dog and my thoughts. This desire for solitude, this need for a oneness with nature drew me like a magnet. I longed for the silence, save for the sound of birdsong and the scurrying of small creatures through the leaf litter.

I needed this time to think. To solidify my thoughts, to mull over ideas and concepts I had learned. To come up with fresh ideas and associated connections that I knew were bubbling under the surface but the buzz of city life somehow kept them just out of arms reach.

On returning from the great outdoors with renewed energy and clarity of thought I opened my email to discover a link to this article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/how-nature-changes-the-brain/?_r=0

I have tried parks and gardens in both cities and, although they are pleasant places to be, I have failed miserably as I haven’t developed the ability to tune out the sound of traffic and people, but that is just my lack of city living.

So what do you think? Do you spend time in the great outdoors away from the modern world? If you do, do you see a benefit or not? If you don’t why not?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Yes. For me it's bike riding.

I just sneak away from work for an hour or three, jump on my bike and leave town.

It gives me time to think and it's nice to really breathe.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
I need my daily walk through the nearby forest like others need their morning coffee.
Calm and sorting my thoughts, scarying the shit out of deers and
being stalked by the hogs (they know I bring them old bread).

To solidify my thoughts, to mull over ideas and concepts I had learned. To come up with fresh ideas and associated connections that I knew were bubbling under the surface but the buzz of city life somehow kept them just out of arms reach.
Pretty much this. I had most of my "great idea while showering" -moments in nature, not in the shower.

Thanks for sharing the article!

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't think that the article is well thought out. Outdoors does not need to be green space.

The same rejuvenation can come from running, walking, or bike riding along your favorite locations. These can be in a city.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I need my daily walk through the nearby forest like others need their morning coffee.

That resonates so much. Often with my 5am start I am out walking by 5:30 as it is even more peaceful then with less chance of seeing another human being. Plus, as my dog is a Northern Inuit breed, he much prefers the early morning coolness.

...scarying the shit out of deers and
being stalked by the hogs

Ha! we have deer and wild boar in the forest here too.

Yes. For me it's bike riding.

I was combining my early morning walks with an 8 mile ride through the forest tracks every afternoon but work got in the way. Hoping to get back to that shortly as I felt a lot fitter.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
The same rejuvenation can come from running, walking, or bike riding along your favorite locations. These can be in a city.

Granted, but I think there may be greater gains from being away from civilization. I also find walking more conducive to the thought process than running or riding but that is just me. I guess you have to experiment and see for yourself.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
So what do you think? Do you spend time in the great outdoors away from the modern world? If you do, do you see a benefit or not?
Yes. I love hiking in mountains and get a massive recharge from it. My favorite places to do so are Superstition Mountains and Sedona, AZ. There is such a calmness and serenity I feel in those places that it keeps me coming back over and over.

Thanks for posting this. I spent last weekend in L.A. Driving in that traffic was the most stressful I've ever done in my life. Your post reminds I haven't recharged since returning.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
I like to stand on tall buildings and look at the city. That's probably my version of a countryside walk.

Both are cool though. It's like 'meditation through movement.'

(Didn't read the article.)

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Granted, but I think there may be greater gains from being away from civilization. I also find walking more conducive to the thought process than running or riding but that is just me. I guess you have to experiment and see for yourself.
I am already a nature freak and spend a lot of time away from civilization. It is very enjoyable and does give me a boost. I also run a lot and have routes that take me through the Phoenix preserve, along greenbelts and canals, and through various neighborhoods. I get the same boost here.

I love to run and put in about 50 miles a week. It is where I let my mind go free.

Will Hodge

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 5, 2015
I have spent the last 5 weeks in 2 major cities here and overseas. I have enjoyed every minute of my time there in both work and recreation with only the occasional feelings of missing my family to sour the experience. Both cities are amazing and provide everything one could want.

However, after flying home late last night the first thing I wanted to do this morning was get out into nature, to spend time in the solitude of the forest that I am so fortunate to live in. No music, no podcasts no human company. Just me my dog and my thoughts. This desire for solitude, this need for a oneness with nature drew me like a magnet. I longed for the silence, save for the sound of birdsong and the scurrying of small creatures through the leaf litter.

I needed this time to think. To solidify my thoughts, to mull over ideas and concepts I had learned. To come up with fresh ideas and associated connections that I knew were bubbling under the surface but the buzz of city life somehow kept them just out of arms reach.

On returning from the great outdoors with renewed energy and clarity of thought I opened my email to discover a link to this article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/how-nature-changes-the-brain/?_r=0

I have tried parks and gardens in both cities and, although they are pleasant places to be, I have failed miserably as I haven’t developed the ability to tune out the sound of traffic and people, but that is just my lack of city living.

So what do you think? Do you spend time in the great outdoors away from the modern world? If you do, do you see a benefit or not? If you don’t why not?

Living in the city these past few years has opened my eyes to this. I think for me, as it seems it is with you, the buzz sounds that still surround us when we are in park environments prevent those surreal feelings and rejuvenation. I think @SteveO is right about exercise being a similar feeling, but for me personally, it is quite different than being alone and one with nature.

Either way, I think both are a very necessary part of life. I definitely need to find a slice of nature to regularly attend. Great post!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I was hiking up at Mount Whitney once and ran across a couple of hikers. They had started in Yosemite and took a week to reach Whitney. One of them asked if we had a cell phone and called work to tell them he would be out for another week. He told us that he was going to extend his stay and asked us where a store was so he could get more supplies. The only place I knew of was a full day walk. These guys seemed like they were in heaven.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I love to run and put in about 50 miles a week. It is where I let my mind go free.

See I can't do that, I'd spend all my time trying to breath. :jawdrop::dead:

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014
Used to make fun of my friend for running. "If I run around, it's going to be on a basketball court with a purpose!"

Then I went one day, to a gorgeous park. I've been back there every single week since, weather permitting, for years now.

Just beat my best time yesterday actually.

I don't know if it's deep breathing fresh air, sunlight, sweating, circulation, or what. But there's something about running in nature that makes you feel awesome afterwards, and it lasts for days.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I think @SteveO is right about exercise being a similar feeling, but for me personally, it is quite different than being alone and one with nature.
I think that part of this has to do with the fact that this has been part of my routine for 40 years. Many of my running routes are through low density locations simply because I don't want to stop to cross streets. I also make it a point to get myself and my dogs out into the mountains on a regular basis. I consider myself to be a mountaineer. If I was blindfolded and dropped off anywhere in the southwest, I would be able to figure out where I was at by the surroundings and find my way to where I need to go. I have been on thousands of miles of trails in the wilderness.

I do agree with the article to a point. I don't agree with the fact that it has to be "green" though. And I feel that mind rejuvenation is a state that you put yourself in. I can get that same feeling from running or walking my favorite routes. I can also get that feeling sitting in my backyard and closing my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Walking works for me. If I have 2 hours to get something done, I do better going for a 40 minute walk first then spending 80 minutes doing the right thing that "came" to me when I was walking down the local canal.

I used to do track with everything against the clock. Then I did some cycling round The Lake District where I am originally from in the UK. I remember tearing the speedometer off the bike and throwing it into the bushes because being measured was taking the fun out of it.

So walking just for the pleasure of it is what helps my thinking.

mws87

talk less, listen more.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
May 5, 2015
California
Nature is definitely great for those plagued with an overactive mind (like me). Like @Dwight Schrute said, it provides you with tons of great ideas, probably because you're away from all the distractions.

I'm someone who's sanity will start to crumble if I'm indoors for too long. It's weird, I almost get a sense of cabin fever and my anxiety starts to peak. Makes the real world all the more strange when I finally do get out.

Recently I took a walk through a national park we have over here full of hills and nature. Aside from feeling like I was going to die due to my bad preparation (it was around 100 degrees, I only brought a small water bottle and wasn't dressed properly), it was a great experience. Really gave me time to think clearly, free of distraction.

Sometimes being isolated out in the wilderness removes you from all the nagging reminders of every day life and provides you with all of the right reminders. My biggest reminder - Life goes on with or without you. This park, these trees, the creek has been around for hundreds of years and will be around for a hundred more (hopefully) regardless of my presence. It was a reminder that life will still pass you by when you procrastinate, it doesn't start once you start. Sounds a little grim, but it's the truth and it was a really sobering and positive thought.

When all the distractions of smart phones, social media, radio, etc. are away from you, it's amazing how quickly the creative parts of your brain begin turning the gears.

Which reminds me, I need to get the hell out of the house today.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
When all the distractions of smart phones, social media, radio, etc. are away from you, it's amazing how quickly the creative parts of your brain begin turning the gears.

So true.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Right after my Summer 2015 finals for college ended I went to Lassen Volcanic National Park here in California from Thursday to Sunday of last week. I was going to post pics in the virtual meetup thread, but I was already a little late.

Yes, I agree. Spending time in nature AND moving around is awesome. :)

P.S. If anyone reading has aspirations to one day climb Mount Everest. Consider the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) too or as an alternative. I just heard about it not too long ago.

http://www.pcta.org/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Crest_Trail

EDIT: Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=styiDn7YKhE

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content