The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to test the waters in mobile development.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

botnickguy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 20, 2011
Detroit, Michigan
Hey guys,

So as I've previously stated on the Fastlane forum, I have my eyes set on the goal of creating incredible software products. This would ideally be mobile applications. Not only does the mobile application market offer incredible scalability and a nearly non-existent ceiling, but I'm passionate about the industry.

The way I see it, not only is it Fastlane but it's a market I'm super motivated to enter. So that really makes it less like work and more like fun.

So, once I'm at the point where I'm confident in my product creation abilities, the next step is to make something that appeals to the market.

Now from there, how do I pinpoint what appeals to the market? I'm aware of a few websites in which users post of their desires for apps that are currently unavailable. And so, I've seen some really phenomenal ideas and some that run along a common thread that sound marketable. And of course there are some really oddball ideas that don't sound like they would have mass market appeal.

So anyhow, app development takes quite a bit of time. I'm fine with developing apps without direct financial incentive but honestly I'm quite interested in getting a track on what the market wants. This will be of phenomenal use to me.

1. Is there any readily available source of information the forums aware of?
2. If I'm finalizing an idea, what does the forum find the best way to get brutally honest criticism?
3. Just for fun, what do you wish there was an app for? Realistic and idealistic responses allowed

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 22, 2012
Having success in the app business is very challenging- at best. I read an article a while back that showed that approximately 80% of the app store revenue generated was by 20% of the apps. A lot of their success was due to them having mult-million dollar ad budgets, huge user bases, and also a great app. While not impossible, achieving this level of success, without those components, will be a challenge.

I recommend you start off by studying what's currently working in the marketplace. There are many great sites out there that can provide you with some great insight on what's doing well in many of the top app stores, there are certain commonalities that successful apps share, so you'll really what to analyze what they're doing (ie: in-app purchases, theme, monetization methods, etc.) here's one of my favorite sites for that data:

http://www.appannie.com/apps/ios/top/?device=iphone

Once you get an idea on what type of app you want to make, and whether you'll go the paid or free app route, you'll want to put a lot or you time and energy on developing a marketing plan, no matter how great your app is, if no one knows about it and your not getting downloads- it will all be for nothing. There are TONS of great apps out there, but aren't making their developers any money. On the flip-side, there are many extremely simplistic, visually ugly apps that do extremely well, even if it may only be for a very short time like a "Flappy Bird":

http://mashable.com/2014/02/10/flappy-bird-story/

If I had to shorten everything down to 4 steps:

1. Find out what's currently working in the marketplace
2. Develop & execute a good marketing plan
3. Make your app very addictive
4. Make it easy for your users to share the app with their friends

Hope that helps :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics