The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to stop wasting time on the Internet

Anything related to matters of the mind

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
As many of you know, especially those with online businesses, it’s incredibly easy to get lost on the internet.

You’re reading an article…it links to another article. Boom! You’re on another website. Alright, let’s binge read articles on increasing productivity. I should really watch Steve Job’s commencement speech RIGHT NOW. Better to check out that Elon Musk interview while I’m at it. Let’s read some random threads on a forum.

And suddenly you look at the clock and two hours or more have passed.

Yes, there might be a time to consume all that content, but it’s probably NOT now (if at all).

Here’s my three step process for eliminating distractions on the Internet/the computer:

1. RescueTime (https://www.rescuetime.com/)

It’s a software which tracks your application and website usage for the time you’re on the PC. The Light version is sufficient for what we’re trying to accomplish here. Sign up for a free account, download the software to your computer and let it run.

2. ColdTurkey (http://getcoldturkey.com/) for $14,99 or SelfControl (http://selfcontrolapp.com/) on Mac for free

This allows you to block sites and applications computer wide and according to specific groups. I would get the paid version, it’s only $14.99 and it allows you to block applications as well + schedule functionality. If you try to access a blocked website, there'll be a nice "Shouldn't you be working right now?" type quote.

That’s the basic setup. So after 24 hours or so, head over to Rescuetime.com, login and check the dashboard. You will find that it has collected a bunch of stuff, mainly what applications you’re running for how long, which websites you visited for how long and so on.

What you need to do now: Have a close look and be honest with yourself.

ColdTurkey has 3 groups for you to use. Green, Yellow and Red.

I use Green for websites/software I want to check/use daily after I’m ready with work for the day. This might include this forum, your favourite news site and industry forums and so on.

Yellow for websites that I want to spend time on occasionally when I simply want entertainment. This might include Youtube, Netflix, reddit, a chatroom you frequent. For me this is Sunday afternoon.

Red for websites/software that I know to be time suckers. Software like Steam, Origin, betting websites, basically anything I don’t want to spend any time on.

So I go through the websites/software and categorize them according to my guidelines above. If I’m not sure which category to put something in, I go for the stricter category. Not sure if Green or Yellow? Pick Yellow. Rationale: If I'm not sure when I'm actively thinking about it, there's a high chance I'll end up there later on anyways.

I do this once every two week nowadays, but with the major time-wasting sites blocked already, there's not too many new sites to be added.

Example:

ECYIPgL.png

Note: Add websites in the red group to the other groups as well, so they get blocked all the time. Add websites in the yellow group only to the red and green group, so they aren't blocked in the yellow time period. Then LOCK your schedule. You won't be able to change the schedule or remove websites, only add new ones until the chosen time.

But let's not fool ourselves. Even with the major time sucks out the way, there are a ton of websites we visit daily. It would become impossible to micro manage all those sites, because you might only visit them twice for a few minutes. Still that will add up. This is where step 3 comes into play:

3. Pocket (https://getpocket.com/)

Their tagline is "When you find something you want to view later, put it in Pocket." and that's basically what it does. It takes a piece of content and archives it, syncs it with your mobile devices etc. Head over there, sign up for a free account and get the browser addon for your favorite browser.

So if you're researching a specific problem, looking for a solution etc., you might stumble upon an interesting website which has, besides your solution, a lot of other different stuff that you reeeeeeeeeally want to read. Right-click, hit "Save to Pocket" and get back to work.

Get in, get the kill (solution), back out.

Using this approach I've been able to constantly improve my focus and my results, because it allows me to concentrate only on the task right in front of me.

Disclaimer: This is what is working amazingly well for me, your mileage may vary.

Hope it helps!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
Have you tried any other time tracking software tool other than Rescue Time? Id love to know more about it.

Sowexly

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Nov 7, 2013
Absolutely love this thread I just put posters in each room that remind me to stay productive. Literally adds fuel to my tank everyday! I'll definitely keep an eye on the thread encase anyone has alternatives.

Gsuz

If you want the crown, you gotta take it
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Jul 3, 2012
Have you tried any other time tracking software tool other than Rescue Time? Id love to know more about it.

There's another similar software called: http://www.manictime.com/ which seems to have more detailed reporting, I checked that out initially too, but it was a little too unintuitive for my purposes.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Awesome list. Rep+

Time management is key when trying to get work done,
especially online when instant gratification is available at all times,
just a click away.

These tools definitely help,
just as a reminder to get back to more meaningful work.

I use StayFocused: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stayfocusd/laankejkbhbdhmipfmgcngdelahlfoji?hl=en
for Chrome. I think they have Firefox and IE as well.

Has been awesome so far.
Recommend it.

Kevin Peter

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Jun 2, 2015
There's another similar software called: http://www.manictime.com/ which seems to have more detailed reporting, I checked that out initially too, but it was a little too unintuitive for my purposes.

@Gsuz we are currently looking at Replicon's Time tracking product. Have you tried using it earlier or heard of? They seem to be the leaders in the time tracking space competing with the industries top honchos.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Stay Focusd and all Chrome plugins are too easy to fool/get around.....
All you need to do is open an incognito window with ctrl+shift+n and it is disabled.

Willpower is what needs to be built, not apps.

Will Bauer

Either you run the day or the day runs you.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 25, 2014
Paderborn
I compared different addons and programs and ended up using http://www.focusme.co/

In my opinion it's the most powerful solution if you are using windows.

It's more expensive then cold turkey but it's comes along with much more functions. It takes a little bit to set up but once you are done it does exactly what it promises.

e.b. you can limit the time you spend on certain websites, use break reminders, keep track on the sites and programs you use.

It's so powerful I even created a mind map about all the features.

focusme - features.png

Last edited:

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Plugins don't work for me if I'm trying to work in an environment that I associate with relaxing.

When I'm in an environment for 'working' I don't need any plugins.

Anybody feel the same way?

Will Bauer

Either you run the day or the day runs you.
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 25, 2014
Paderborn
Stay Focusd and all Chrome plugins are too easy to fool/get around.....
All you need to do is open an incognito window with ctrl+shift+n and it is disabled.

Willpower is what needs to be built, not apps.

While you are right, I think software can help a lot helping you to build willpower. Definitely would recommend to read "The Willpower Instinct" by Kelly McGonigal. As far as I remember there is one chapter that only deals with this topic.

Last edited:

Tyler Ellison

Digital Advertising Ninja
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 18, 2015
Brazil
It's an oldie but a goodie, Mark Joyner's Simpleology is classic and helps train you to be efficient, productive, and provides the management system with the training including helpful browser extensions & apps.

John the Man

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 24, 2014
United Kingdom
When doing your online business and aiming for maximum productivity... SWITCH OFF Facebook, Twitter and other Social Media account unless you're doing traffic generation or advertising, DON'T READ unproductive articles like news, gossips, etc. NO TABS, NO OTHER WINDOWS Except the one you're working on... and yes, set a clear target. :)

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Another simple hack I use: I have a "Time Waster" bookmark folder. I put all the non-essential pages in there. So, if I want to waste time I actually have to click on the Time Waster folder.

Subtle - but reminds me exactly what I am doing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.