The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Stay Productive When Your Brain's Not Cooperating?

Anything related to matters of the mind

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jan 18, 2014
I work in extremes. For the past 10 months or so, I woke up motivated and stayed completely immersed in the flow of work all day. When I get like that, I forget to eat. I don't pick up the phone. My social life suffers. But I really enjoy it.

But now I'm in the "other" phase of the cycle and my brain just doesn't want to do anything. I think she snuck off while I was sleeping. And now all I want to do is dance around the room and play on my yoga mat. I'm forcing myself to sit down for like 4 - 6 hours a day to do work, but instead of working, I've been singing along to gangster rap and perusing this forum.

Any other people here work in extremes? How do you stay productive when you're going through your "slow" phase? Any tips and tricks will be devoured and greatly appreciated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
@aardvarky - i do workout in times like this, just to keep the good juice flowing, so that when I go back to my desk, I feel refreshed again. Meditation probably to help out your focus. :D

cashis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Feb 22, 2014
I also have this problem. And I also sing along to gangsta rap, watch shows or play games, pretty much do everything but what counts.

What worked for me is to set deadlines. I had to go away for X-mas, and a few days before I set a deadline to finish my site before I had to leave. To my surprise, those 4 days were the most productive I've ever had.
I didn't think about anything else, just the work I needed to do, and kept working through the night to make the deadline. And it worked, I finished the site a few hours before I left home. I did in 4 days what would normally take me 2 weeks at my normal pace.

I definitely have to start doing that again, and recommend you try it as well, you'll be surprised!

Ajay2390

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Jan 27, 2014
London, UK
Great Question! Very familiar with this(Gangsta Rap Aswell) lol.

It might be that time to breathe fresh air again. Its a must to come out of the cave and USE the bursting energy trapped inside your body. Its a Good Thing!

Turn your Brain OFF, and just Turn that Body ON!

Now, if you need to get back to work..

Create a To-Do List

• Plan your day....the day before.
  • Take a Walk early in the morning to Clear your mind and Focus on Today
  • Add Yoga Class??(Morning)
  • Add time to express your energy(Generally Before/After Work)
  • Add Meals 3 meals minimum per day lol (8am, 12pm and 6pm)
  • Add Work Stuff (Certain amount of hours a day)
  • Execute whilst having FUN!!

I Totally agree that "Work" has to be done but that doesn't mean you cannot incorporate Work with Social. Mix it up!

Balance in Life is MOST Important. Take control;)

Ps. This is just my 2 cents, it does work for me.. :)

rblitz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Jul 11, 2013
Germany
Every time I notice doing something very unproductive which doesn't helping me accomplishing my goal or deadline I force myself to do the steps I need to do.
So when I notice I'm just surfing around the web or something like that I get immediately back to work.
The most important thing is to not reward yourself for leaving your work!

All in all it takes a portion of self-discipline. And sometimes you have to kick yourself in the a*s.

Coriolis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
485%
Jan 17, 2014
France
There was this website with memes, gags, novelties, lots of fun. Let's say this website was "9reasonstowasteyourtime.com"
I went there 3-4 times a day, I was wasting time, completely unnecessarily.

One day I deleted the address of my bookmark. I also added these lines in my "hosts" file:

127.0.0.1 9reasonstowasteyourtime.com
127.0.0.1 www.9reasonstowasteyourtime.com

Problem solved.

If you want more information about this technique:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

If you can not follow a certain discipline yourself, implements physical or technical barriers to help you do so.

wilddog

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto
Divide your to-do list in 2 lists. One list are the things you need to do that require full mental concentration. The second list are the things that do not require mental effort. Before looking at your lists, assess what you current mental state is and decide which list you'll attack.

fastattack03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 15, 2013
There was this website with memes, gags, novelties, lots of fun. Let's say this website was "9reasonstowasteyourtime.com"
I went there 3-4 times a day, I was wasting time, completely unnecessarily.
One day I deleted the address of my bookmark. I also added these lines in my "hosts" file:
127.0.0.1 9reasonstowasteyourtime.com
127.0.0.1 www.9reasonstowasteyourtime.com
Problem solved.

Haha I did the same a few days ago! :)

9gag has been a eating up my time lately so I had to ban it in my hosts file. Surprisingly, it works for me!

But now I'm in the "other" phase of the cycle and my brain just doesn't want to do anything. I think she snuck off while I was sleeping. And now all I want to do is dance around the room and play on my yoga mat. I'm forcing myself to sit down for like 4 - 6 hours a day to do work, but instead of working, I've been singing along to gangster rap and perusing this forum.

Maybe you need a break? How about you go out for a drink with your friends?

I read a bunch of books from great business guys every time I feel this "slow phase". In fact, I just experienced this last week. I know what to do, I just couldn't do it. My motivation ran out!

I read awesome books and then got drunk last Friday. Worked pretty well 'coz my motivation got up this week! :)

I've read something like this but I forgot where - you have to balance 3 F's: finance, friends, and family. I think it was 5. I'm not sure but the point is, you have to have a balance in your life. It's not healthy to just focus on your work for the whole year! Give time to friends and family. Give time to fun activities.

Good luck!

Last edited:

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jan 18, 2014
Thanks for all the tips, guys :)
Meditation makes me sleepy, but yoga totally works.
@Edis - that's a pretty extensive guide there! Thanks :)
@Coriolis - great idea, but I'd have to block Google...
Divide your to-do list in 2 lists. One list are the things you need to do that require full mental concentration. The second list are the things that do not require mental effort. Before looking at your lists, assess what you current mental state is and decide which list you'll attack.
This is awesome - simple and super effective. I've been going through my journal and noticed that I go through definite, marked cycles so this is something that would work really well for me - thanks for the tip!

I read a bunch of books from great business guys every time I feel this "slow phase". In fact, I just experienced this last week. I know what to do, I just couldn't do it. My motivation ran out!
Another great suggestion - it makes a lot of sense to be passively absorbing helpful stuff when you're not actively doing things to help you. Thanks :)

fastattack03

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Dec 15, 2013
Another great suggestion - it makes a lot of sense to be passively absorbing helpful stuff when you're not actively doing things to help you. Thanks

I'm glad I helped. How are you feeling now?

oldscool

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jul 20, 2011
your internet
Gansta rap and yoga? I must be old!!!!!

Anyways, it is said that the brain needs to get warmed up, & on the other side sometimes you just got to shut it down man.
It is hard to say what moves a person. What I do is I usually listen to youtube video before or inbetween when I need a quick boost. It might be 20 seconds, 5 minutes, or, whatever I need the length of the video to just get me back in mode.
Here are my three bread and butter youtube videos I use,(the first one being one I rely on heavy).

Last edited:

aardvarky

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Jan 18, 2014
just wanted to update this to say you guys are totally right - when the brain goes on strike, she's saying she need an f*in break.

oh, and i found maca powder really helps focus. i've been taking it more regularly lately and i don't get that mid-afternoon energy/brain power dip that i used to. just fyi.

Marcel1986

On a trip in the fastlane....
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jul 8, 2009
World citizen living in Spain / Germany
i have the same issue from time to time... when nothing works and i can´t concentrate it depends on my mood.
Sometimes i clean the house, i start cooking, go for a walk, or listen to some music, 15 min nap is perfect as well.
Just do something completely different and then get back to put full focus on what you want to do...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.