The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to find a strong why?

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
I want all the good things in life: Freedom,nice cars, maybe a private jet,women.

But i don't really got a why that makes me work real hard and forces me to do things i don't really want to do.
I want to make money with i guess: buying and selling things of ebay and importing from China, i don't have any hobbies (but i can think of things i would really enjoy but they don't make money) and i force myself to read books about business and enthrepeneurship.

I don't know if it is my age but everyday i wonder what the F*ck do i want to do with my life, sometimes i get mad i want to be somebody but i don't know what.

Did you guys have had this to in the past and how did it turned out?

I would like to know how you guys force yourselves to make money and work hard, how do you guys think when you are working hard. When i am in class i force myself to work very hard and it works, i just act like a robot.

But if i do this with my projects i keep on thinking entrepeneurship is supposed to be fun right?

Maybe i just need to set some goals and do it without thinking right?

Am i thinking to much?

So... these are some thoughts wondering inside my head

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
  1. Work a job you hate.
  2. Recognize how much it sucks.
  3. Realize that if you don't do something about it, you will be working that job week after week until you die.
  4. Understand that 99% of the jobs out there will suck just as much as the above job, given enough time.
  5. Look and see the alternative.
I never want to have a job again. My last one was awful. I'm terrified of having to work for a bitch like that again, busting my a$$ for someone who thinks they have the right to treat people like shit just because they've reached a point where they can "afford" a used Mercedes E-Class.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
  1. Work a job you hate.
  3. Realize that if you don't do something about it, you will be working that job week after week until you die.
  4. Understand that 99% of the jobs out there will suck just as much as the above job, given enough time.
I never want to have a job again. My last one was awful. I'm terrified of having to work for a bitch like that again, busting my a$$ for someone who thinks they have the right to treat people like shit just because they've reached a point where they can "afford" a used Mercedes E-Class.

I actually worked shitty jobs but thinking about doing that my whole life doesn't force me in action, i don't know why but it just doesn't.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
I just don't think you want it bad enough. I never had that problem because I wanted it more than anything, so I did what I had to.

If you want it bad enough you start seeing what you need to do to get to where you want to go, it seems like you are on the beginning of that journey.
Like Boxster said above, maybe working a job you hate would help you. I've only had 1 job and it was great but still i know I wanted more.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
I think that's it, i don't want it bad enough. I am a sidewalker i guess
Well, stating you're a sidewalker isn't really helping you.

What I think you need to do is write out all the things you want, these should be very specific.

Then you need to write out actionable steps to get to those goals.
If you really want it bad enough, you won't stop until these goals are met then you can keep advancing.

That's helped me out, because sometimes the road is just cloudy and you need to make a sense of direction to move forward and gain motivation. Once you start accomplishing those goals you gain momentum, and then you just takeoff your runway.

Or maybe you need to prepare to take off on your runway. Maybe study some subjects like Marketing, sales etc, so you start to prepare to take off on the runway. Just some suggestions but don't label yourself as something you don't want to be labeled as.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Well, stating you're a sidewalker isn't really helping you.

What I think you need to do is write out all the things you want, these should be very specific.

Then you need to write out actionable steps to get to those goals.
If you really want it bad enough, you won't stop until these goals are met then you can keep advancing.

That's helped me out, because sometimes the road is just cloudy and you need to make a sense of direction to move forward and gain motivation. Once you start accomplishing those goals you gain momentum, and then you just takeoff your runway.

Or maybe you need to prepare to take off on your runway. Maybe study some subjects like Marketing, sales etc, so you start to prepare to take off on the runway. Just some suggestions but don't label yourself as something you don't want to be labeled as.

Thanks for the advice but i already exactly did what you just said, and i didn't complete the goals only a few but then i stopped and did something else.
I can force myself to complete the goals but i don't think that is the right way.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the advice but i already exactly did what you just said, and i didn't complete the goals only a few but then i stopped and did something else.
I can force myself to complete the goals but i don't think that is the right way.

That's exactly the right way. No one ever completes a goal by waking up and feeling motivated every day. This was my biggest problem for a while, and to an extent still is. Motivation isn't real. It's bullshit. It won't get you anywhere. If you want to be successful, you have to force yourself to do things even when you aren't motivated.

I recommend The ONE Thing by Gary Keller. He's got a great chapter about goal setting to the now.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
That's exactly the right way. No one ever completes a goal by waking up and feeling motivated every day. This was my biggest problem for a while, and to an extent still is. Motivation isn't real. It's bullshit. It won't get you anywhere. If you want to be successful, you have to force yourself to do things even when you aren't motivated.

I recommend The ONE Thing by Gary Keller. He's got a great chapter about goal setting to the now.

Hmm, well i can say i tryed many things but the only think that helped was simply forcing yourself roboticly so yeah, you're right.
I am gonna take a look at the book, thanks for the reccomendation.

I am just gonna force myself from now on, i am gonna set goals and accomplish them even though i don't want to put the effort in.

ArizonaBoy

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 28, 2014
Chandler, AZ
Hmm, well i can say i tryed many things but the only think that helped was simply forcing yourself roboticly so yeah, you're right.

I am just gonna force myself from now on, i am gonna set goals and accomplish them even though i don't want to put the effort in.
For me it was about moving from motivation to habit - specifically adhering to a daily schedule (not even a goal, although the purpose of the schedule is to achieve a goal).

If I rely on my motivation/mood I end up not getting a whole lot done. Instead, I KNOW that between certain times of the day/week that I'm sitting my a$$ in front of the computer working. Doing that day after day, week after week has allowed me to progress a lot further than I thought I could and certainly more than if I were to rely on my daily motivation.

Bob

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I think that's it, i don't want it bad enough. I am a sidewalker i guess

F*ck that! You are what you constantly strive to be. Give yourself time to figure out who you need to become in order to achieve more.
You may not be right now. But you are becoming it.

I don't know how your self image came to be, but you may want to question it;
I wish I was in this forum at your age.

The book is going to give you some ideas or realizations but as someone stated above, you have to reach some level where working for your fastlane becomes addictive and you have a strong emotional why.

Why do you do what you do?
For your mom.
For your dad.
For your future wife.
For your future kids.
You don't want to hate yourself that you won't be able to send your future kids on a vacation.
You don't want to feel miserable around your family.
You don't want to feel like a half-man.
You don't want to go through life repeating a false story in your head.

You want to create value with whatever you are given. Take your time to figure that out.

Last edited:

Writer

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 26, 2014
Texas. (Mars during summer)
  1. Work a job you hate.

No shit... for real. This is why I am moving toward a certain path. Still in the early steps, but the WHY is what you said above.

amk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Mar 18, 2014

If you can't find a reason to accomplish a goal -- you're in for an uphill battle.

My book suggestion would be "Choose Yourself" by James Altucher. Plenty of great advice pertaining to finding purpose in your life, what to "make" of yourself, etc. He has a great blog, too: http://www.jamesaltucher.com/

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
Humans are naturally lazy, put us into an environment that's comfortable and safe and you will have no real desire to move forward, to climb to the top of the food chain. A good enough job that you neither love nor hate bad enough. Steady monthly income. OK hours... you get the picture

What's the solution for that you ask?

From the book 33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene:
4: Create a sense of urgency and desperation: Death-ground
Place yourself where your back is against the wall and you have to fight like hell to get out alive.

Put yourself into a very harsh environment, set up a fastlane/hustling strategy and burn all bridges connecting you to your past life. All life lines or backup plans gone. Just one big goal right in front of you. You will suddenly see something very primal kicking in, forcing your survival instinct to kick in and it will be literally do-or-die

Believe me, and I'm speaking from personal experience, in a situation like that, you will DO.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Yup.

It's all about self-image. Listen to Smarty.

Most other things are rah-rah. A sudden change of environment WILL cause a change of self-image though. Because desire of survival (with fastlane knowledge) is stronger than the desire to maintain your self image.

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
Yup.

It's all about self-image. Listen to Smarty.

Most other things are rah-rah. A sudden change of environment WILL cause a change of self-image though. Because desire of survival (with fastlane knowledge) is stronger than the desire to maintain your self image.

Absolutely. This is one of the many reasons why I'm changing my location as soon as I launch my first product in a few weeks.

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Sometimes it takes hitting 25 and finally realizing that time is becoming less and less on your side. That pretending isn't fun anymore and life is bringing on more and more responsibility. Couple that with working for someone you hate and know is a complete idiot and I say you'd increase your odds of doing something by a percent or two.

Visionquest

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 22, 2014
Your young 16 is what i think from your name. I think you are doing it right now. You are overthinking this a little. You are in school. School sucks. School is the FIRST job. It is hard to get through. You may not have motivation because you are being told what to do. But you are reading the books and thinking about your future. You want to be something. Keep thinking that way and inspiration will come. When inspiration comes for real it doesn't feel like work. I am not lying. I was a workaholic and it was killing me. Now I work more and I love my life. Listen to your inner self. You are stuck where you are for at least a little while longer so continue doing what your doing. GOOD LUCK

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What if your WHY was to help as many people as you could?

Does helping someone motivate you?

How do you feel when you have helped someone and can see the difference you've made?

IMO, when your WHY is helping other people, then everything else will fall into place naturally.

Still working on this myself, but this is my preferred WHY.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You really should read the book... ;)

I know but i want to be able to get what i want when i want and for that you need money, and to get that fast you need to be a fastlaner.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
Humans are naturally lazy, put us into an environment that's comfortable and safe and you will have no real desire to move forward, to climb to the top of the food chain. A good enough job that you neither love nor hate bad enough. Steady monthly income. OK hours... you get the picture

What's the solution for that you ask?

From the book 33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene:
4: Create a sense of urgency and desperation: Death-ground
Place yourself where your back is against the wall and you have to fight like hell to get out alive.

Put yourself into a very harsh environment, set up a fastlane/hustling strategy and burn all bridges connecting you to your past life. All life lines or backup plans gone. Just one big goal right in front of you. You will suddenly see something very primal kicking in, forcing your survival instinct to kick in and it will be literally do-or-die

Believe me, and I'm speaking from personal experience, in a situation like that, you will DO.
If i need to go that far than i better not start at all, because then i really don't want to do it. But i can force myself to just do it, i can read all the books i want but i don't really think that will bring me anywhere.

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk

smarty

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jan 2, 2013
I read the book 2 times, check the label at my profile.
I thought he meant the other 2 books mentioned in the thread.

well, the other books have names. this is the only book we call the book ;)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.