The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to find a Fastlane Mentor

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

secretentourage

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 4, 2013
BOCA, LA, NY and VA
131.jpg

Its easy to decide if you need a mentor or not, its a bit harder to actually find the right one. I've come with 4 things you can do or keep in mind in order to gain the attention of a mentor who is already living in the fast lane.

Will power is easy to recognize.

While many believe that they have the next great idea or simply need the right mentor to get to the next level, many lack the will to take the next step. Mentors recognize will power and confidence and often have a bit of it themselves since they most likely succeeded already. It is very typical that what they are attracted to is will power rather than skillset, as their goal is to grow your skill but it is up to you to display and ensure that they see how badly you are working to get there. Dreamers need not apply, only do-ers.

You don’t find mentors, mentors find you.

Many always seek mentorship by asking wealthy people for tips, advice, and guidance. It is very difficult for people to find mentors that way. Most mentors typically enjoy giving tips and advice and often find themselves giving basic tips but only when they see others following their advice do they actually care to give you more. Mentors typically seek you out after 4-5 casual conversations and then decide to help you by simply offering to make themselves available. Don’t push people to offer free advice, instead show them you take the advice seriously and act on it.

How to be at the right place at the right time.

There is no such thing as any mentor, but rather the right mentor. Relating to those you seek out for help is key to creating the initial connection. This doesn’t have to be business related. Instead, think of cars or fine dining/foods as common grounds. Where will you find successful business individuals with a passion for similar hobbies? Well look through the hobbies first and find common ground in your passions like at car shows and create conversation with those you want to be like. Once you find common ground, connect on social networks and show how you yourself hold common passion even if at a different level in your life. People can appreciate others who seek the same thing as themselves especially if they were at the same place you were before.

Being relatable is key.

Acting as something you are not will simply turn off most genuine people and actually make it quite difficult to find someone who genuinely wants to help you. Instead focus on ensuring people can relate to you, your aspiration and your goals. The relatibility is the key to identifying the right mentors., so make sure you stay genuine.

Let me know other things you think can help those seeking mentorship. We can keep it as a running thread to help slowlane people and bring more of them here in the fastlane.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Atown512

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 15, 2011
Houston
There is no such thing as any mentor, but rather the right mentor. Relating to those you seek out for help is key to creating the initial connection. This doesn’t have to be business related. Instead, think of cars or fine dining/foods as common grounds.
This is very true. I had the opportunity to be mentored by one of the big-shot traders in oil and gas, but I know trading on that level is not one of my aspirations. I really admire the guy, but my goals are quite a bit different, and I believe it would be a waste of both our time.

I am in no way ready to BE a mentor, so therefore I feel like I should probably HAVE a mentor. I've always seen the most progress in anything I do when I surround myself with people who are better than me, so I think it makes sense to find one.

I will be working at my brewery for a few years, but my biggest life goal is to travel more. I really enjoyed the mobility I had as a poker pro, but I owe at least a few years to my brewery. I don't personally know anyone outside of poker who has the mobility I desire...so my question is this: how do you find the right mentor that probably doesn't live in your city? Does remote mentoring work very well?

secretentourage

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 4, 2013
BOCA, LA, NY and VA
Yes it does, but its very hard if you haven't met in person before. A small in person meeting can go very far.

ScottyMoll

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 9, 2013
Yes it does, but its very hard if you haven't met in person before. A small in person meeting can go very far.

I completely agree! Whether it be a mentor, or like-minded person, face-to-face meetings make relationships more personal. By the way, anyone from the Los Angeles area?

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Mentors appear when you show initiative. Most waste time seeking mentors, in the age of the internet, mentorship is almost passe, you can literally learn anything on your own if you are observant, tenacious and engage often by asking pertinent questions. Pick nuggets from many different people, rather then just one.

Tomer David

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Nov 13, 2016
Hey thank you for this great tips! I got some great idea on a hobbies I have which a lot of successful people are doing and i'm sure I can find people I can relate to that can help me!

Thank you again.

Mr. Gray

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Nov 8, 2016
View attachment 6119

Its easy to decide if you need a mentor or not, its a bit harder to actually find the right one. I've come with 4 things you can do or keep in mind in order to gain the attention of a mentor who is already living in the fast lane.

While many believe that they have the next great idea or simply need the right mentor to get to the next level, many lack the will to take the next step. Mentors recognize will power and confidence and often have a bit of it themselves since they most likely succeeded already. It is very typical that what they are attracted to is will power rather than skillset, as their goal is to grow your skill but it is up to you to display and ensure that they see how badly you are working to get there. Dreamers need not apply, only do-ers.

Many always seek mentorship by asking wealthy people for tips, advice, and guidance. It is very difficult for people to find mentors that way. Most mentors typically enjoy giving tips and advice and often find themselves giving basic tips but only when they see others following their advice do they actually care to give you more. Mentors typically seek you out after 4-5 casual conversations and then decide to help you by simply offering to make themselves available. Don’t push people to offer free advice, instead show them you take the advice seriously and act on it.

There is no such thing as any mentor, but rather the right mentor. Relating to those you seek out for help is key to creating the initial connection. This doesn’t have to be business related. Instead, think of cars or fine dining/foods as common grounds. Where will you find successful business individuals with a passion for similar hobbies? Well look through the hobbies first and find common ground in your passions like at car shows and create conversation with those you want to be like. Once you find common ground, connect on social networks and show how you yourself hold common passion even if at a different level in your life. People can appreciate others who seek the same thing as themselves especially if they were at the same place you were before.

Being relatable is key.

Acting as something you are not will simply turn off most genuine people and actually make it quite difficult to find someone who genuinely wants to help you. Instead focus on ensuring people can relate to you, your aspiration and your goals. The relatibility is the key to identifying the right mentors., so make sure you stay genuine.

Let me know other things you think can help those seeking mentorship. We can keep it as a running thread to help slowlane people and bring more of them here in the fastlane.

Thank you for this, it's very simple and concise!!

Wolfman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 12, 2017
Pittsfield, MA
View attachment 6119

Being relatable is key.

Hello, Thanks for your advice/tips. That was good stuff. Relatibility is easy to overlook. It's tempting to try to come off as cool, rich, successful, smart, funny.... I think for me it's best to be me. People who can relate to me even if I'm not cool, rich... are the ones that would enjoy mentoring me. Greg

VirginiaR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 26, 2018
Aruba
View attachment 6119

Being relatable is key.

VirginiaR

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Mar 26, 2018
Aruba
Wow I think this is one of the best insights I've seen about finding your mentor! That the mentor will find you!
I also live by the quote that the "right teacher will present himself at the right time and place. " It comes when you are ready to be taught or at a cross road where you need the right direction. Thanks for sharing! @secretentourage

Jhon Valencia

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Oct 2, 2018
View attachment 6119

Being relatable is key.

Thanks for this post. I believe the best thing is to stay genuine.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.