The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Cultivate Lasting Motivation to Create A Abnormal Work Ethic

Anything related to matters of the mind

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Unfortunately I cannot tell you how, I'm asking.

I'm making this thread in hopes that the veterans here. The Grinders. the Hustlers, the Money Makers, the Value Providers, the badass's with the "no excuses" mindset.

The Real Entrepreneurs.

I've been reading this forum for over 2 years now. Ever since then I've wanted one thing, to cultivate a ridiculous work ethic to achieve a goal.

I have been haunted by not having the motivation to do so. It eats away at me.

Most people have this same issue which is why I'm making this thread.

We all have motivation to build business's, make more money, etc. However that motivation does not last.

You make get a burst of motivation and work hard for a day, a week. But it is temporary. It goes away.

To you veterans who work 18 hours a day 7 days a week, where does your motivation come from and how do you keep at it?

Is it fear of being like everyone else? Fear of being broke? Wanting to provide for your family? Wanting to change the world?

Everyone has these reasons, but most reasons are not enough.

What keeps you going when you havent had any success yet? Once you make some money and have some success I would imagine it just gets easier and easier to keep working. But starting from scratch, trying to change your life, having to work on something for a very long time until you make your first dollar, what keep you motivated?

I made 9k last year. 9k. Think about that. I believe poverty is 20k a year, I made 9. Combination of minimum wage jobs and unemployment. You would think I wouldnt have an issue working 18 hours a day on something but I do. It's a constant struggle to stay motivated and keep working on something.

What keeps you guys going? Specifically.

What's your Mindset on an insanely high work ethic?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
Right now? The need to provide for myself and my family.

The end goal is to be able to do what I want when I want within reason and give something back to people and my community.

Unfortunately what works for me may not be what works for you. You are the only one that can figure out what will work for you.

2 years, 200+ posts, and an INSIDERS and you didn't make more than 9k last year?

TheSilverSpoon

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Nov 4, 2013
What keeps you guys going? Specifically.

Simple - traction and momentum.

Without those its difficult to put in the long hours.
  • A business that makes you a few grand in the first month is exponentially easier to keep going than one that made $0.
  • Once you hit a $100 day, you want to have $100 days, every day. Then $200, then $300, and before your know it, you have a six figure business.
On fear - I personally think its a shitty motivator. Better to have some sales records you're trying to break or some other positive motivation in your gut than some negative driver. Breaking records is simple enough and works well for me.

having to work on something for a very long time until you make your first dollar

Watch your assumptions here. Not every business requires a long time investment before it makes money.

In fact, someone like you would probably benefit greatly from starting something that will give you quick traction. It doesn't have to be a rocket science type business that will change the world. What about a service based biz? Landscaping or something similar?

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Simple - traction and momentum.

Without those its difficult to put in the long hours.
  • A business that makes you a few grand in the first month is exponentially easier to keep going than one that made $0.
  • Once you hit a $100 day, you want to have $100 days, every day. Then $200, then $300, and before your know it, you have a six figure business.
On fear - I personally think its a shitty motivator. Better to have some sales records you're trying to break or some other positive motivation in your gut than some negative driver. Breaking records is simple enough and works well for me.

Watch your assumptions here. Not every business requires a long time investment before it makes money.

In fact, someone like you would probably benefit greatly from starting something that will give you quick traction. It doesn't have to be a rocket science type business that will change the world. What about a service based biz? Landscaping or something similar?
So your stance is getting that momentum as soon as possible to let that momentum and small success's lead you to the snowball affect, the downhill.

Let your results drive you into getting more results.

TheSilverSpoon

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
309%
Nov 4, 2013
So your stance is getting that momentum as soon as possible to let that momentum and small success's lead you to the snowball affect, the downhill.

Let your results drive you into getting more results.
You got it!

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Motivation is temporary. In order to get through the long haul, you have to be able to add/remove daily habits as needed.

This.

Had this problem heavy before.. even posted about it.

Until I realized that Goals don't work.
Yes.
They Don't.

They force you to put off life and happiness until you've achieved it,

Give you a grandiose chunk that you just "HAVE TO" accomplish,

And sap you of energy when you don't accomplish it.

So then how do you do it?

It's all about SYSTEMS.

Systems are the things you do daily to achieve your goal.

Systems work.

Systems you can control.

If you're a coach, you want to win a championship, your system is what your team does in practice every day.

If your goal is get fit, your system is your daily fitness routine and eating schedule.

If your goal is 1M/year, your system is your daily sales calls/ sales attempts.

Figure out the system behind your goal...

And make the SYSTEM your goal.

Your daily process will GUARANTEE your success.

Plus you'll be in control and happy that your achieving.

Not to mention unlimited motivation, since all you have to do is win your daily system.

Your winning every day, and those wins stack up after a while, and you see results.

Hope that helps, it's what did it for me.

Here are some resources anyone reading this thread HAS to read:

http://jamesclear.com/goals-systems
http://jamesclear.com/average-speed

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
This.

Yes.
They Don't.

It's all about SYSTEMS.

Systems work.

Systems you can control.

If you're a coach, you want to win a championship, your system is what your team does in practice every day.

If your goal is get fit, your system is your daily fitness routine and eating schedule.

Not to mention unlimited motivation, since all you have to do is win your daily system.

Your winning every day, and those wins stack up after a while, and you see results.

There we go, appreciate the response.

You made me think of The ONE thing.

That book broke down goals into daily goals. To use your example. The end gold would be to win a championship.

So what must you do daily to achieve that, practice everyday. As long as you practice everyday, your completing your goals.

Also, one successful guy I study says "as long as you did what you had to do today too reach your goal, your the shit, and forget about the end result".

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm just winging it and work 16-18 hours each and every day, just because I have to. Once your business is running you dont need motivation. You just need to get shit done fast. That daily habits stuff sounds good though, I should probably do that..

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
I'm just winging it and work 16-18 hours each and every day, just because I have to. Once your business is running you dont need motivation. You just need to get shit done fast. That daily habits stuff sounds good though, I should probably do that..
This. Motivation is nothing more than entertainment. You find your mission and give it 100%, and you do it because it's just what you do.

Another thing that I think hurts more than help is the fixation some people seem to have with reading books. I keep hearing the same names and 90% of such books contain nothing else than the same shit stirred in different ways, pure rhetoric and zero real information.
In general, people read too much and do too little, and what they read is to blahblah and not enough solid, technical stuff that can be actually applied to their situation.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Your thinking is on the right track. Motivation is temporary. In order to get through the long haul, you have to be able to add/remove daily habits as needed.

This.

Yes.
They Don't.

It's all about SYSTEMS.

Systems work.

Systems you can control.

^^^ THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Forget "goals", "have to", "should do", "need to".

Just do.

@RogueInnovation wrote a great post here.

In it he said:

Don't plan, AIM at the nearest points of interest, and see what pops out.
Test, sample, explore, try.

I was taught as a sprinter to:

Go on the "B" of "Bang"

In a nutshell:
Get started and keep going is a good first plan.
(And its trickier than it seems.)

Watch your habits.

When you sit down to "work", what's the first thing you do?

Do you turn on your computer?

WRONG! Go sit somewhere quiet with your notebook and work out what ONE THING you want to achieve that session. The ONE THING that if you complete it then everything else is either easier to achieve, or unnecessary.

What's the first thing you do when you turn on your computer?

Do you open Skype and your email?

WRONG! They should be on your NOT TO DO list.

If you're starting out and struggling to get going, then consider product-founder fit as well as product-market fit.

Pick something that's easy FOR YOU to get started with and to keep going.

Sell your skills.

Mow lawns.

Anything.

Get started. Keep Going.

Finally...

Enjoy the journey!

(Of course you have "goals"... reasons for doing what you're doing. I find you "discover" these when you're in motion. It's a matter of elimination. And you won't learn until you're in motion. I suggest you watch this video ... and get on James Clear's list.)

Last edited by a moderator:

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
I must complete 'x' before I can 'y'......

'X' should be your ONE thing. 'Y' can be anything from use the Internet, to go out with friends, to eat or sleep.

Most important skill I ever learned.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Ahh, The Grind - you are learning that willpower isn't consistent enough to make long term gains. Very nice work!

So, once willpower dries up what's left for motivation? I submit only 1 thing - habit(s). What do you do every day, what's your "grind", what is consistent every single day. Get that right and it's all the motivation you need to sustain.

Couple of books if you want to dial that in:

The Art of Persistence
Mini Habits

Keep learning man, you're getting it :)

scott.legendre

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Aug 5, 2013
I just put my head down and get to work. motivation is not really a factor. I need to do something, so i do it. I ignore my feelings and just go. Eventually, I look up, and before i know it the work is done, and that motivates me to keep going. it's really amazing what you can get done whenever you just go at it.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Ahh, The Grind - you are learning that willpower isn't consistent enough to make long term gains. Very nice work!

So, once willpower dries up what's left for motivation? I submit only 1 thing - habit(s). What do you do every day, what's your "grind", what is consistent every single day. Get that right and it's all the motivation you need to sustain.

Couple of books if you want to dial that in:

The Art of Persistence
Mini Habits

Keep learning man, you're getting it :)
Haven't read those yet thanks for the references.

There seems to be a big debate in general whether or not willpower is limited. Some say you can "train your willpower muscle" ( I believe the book The Willpower Instinct argues that ). So you can never run out of will power because you can train it. That's completely inaccurate though, it's scientifically proven now that your willpower is limited. It's highest when you wake up and drains throughout the day.

Since this discussion has moved to habits I'll add a couple pieces of value.

3 Things actually.

1. When you wake up i the morning, your willpower is at it's peak. Before you do anything, complete one task. So it's done. And then "start your day". If you do that it's guaranteed that you will make that 1% progress everyday to change your life. For example I've been trying to get some momentum on

ODesk. ( Thanks again @SinisterLex for your amazing threads ) When I wake up the first things I do is apply for 1 job. That way it gets done and nothing is there to interrupt me. Of course you don't have to stop after that 1 thing is done, you can get "in the flow" and just do more and get more done before doing anything else.

2..I follow Early to Rise's newsletter, Michael Masterson puts everything into 4 categories. Urgent but not important, Important but not urgent. Cant remember the other 2 but these 2 are the only ones you need to do. Most of what you do in life in general, is in the important but not urgent category.

And everyone does those things first. If you have a job and are comfortable, starting a business is very important, but it's NOT urgent at all. So sense of urgency. The bottom line is start doing the things that are urgent but not important. It hit me like a ton of bricks when I read that concept, it's powerful.

3. Chains.cc is a great website for building habits. I've been using it, I think it's extremely helpful and simple. There's tons of apps and sites for habits and have tried dozens of them. This is the best one I've used.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
In my mind there are two things
1) what silverhawk and Andy said
2) a bubble of muck you have to break out of

If you are moving and you get clear headed, everything else will start working in your favor.

The bubble of muck is what everyone panics about because it is work on top of what you do each day, that can trip you up and freak you out.

It haunts you with your ingrained conditioning, and you can only peel off one layer at a time, until its thin enough that it stops bothering you so much.

You have to keep a stiff upper lip, until the gravity of your work is mightier than the suction of that mess.

(shudders)

Its good getting that cr#p out of you though, while at first it seems like you are creating problems in your life that aren't necessary, after a time it purifies you.

And while moving and clear, you can entertain a task, and let it complete, by setting it up so it can't/won't fail to deliver.

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
What helped me to go from 6-7 hours 5 days a week to 14+ hours 7 days a week, in particular order

1. Being broke
2. TRT
3. Executing what my mentors are advising
4. Not wasting time chasing girls
5. Having a clear vision, knowing where I want to go, and what person I want to be
6. Intermittent Fasting, no energy wasted for digestion
7. A quick morning routine to fire myself up (cold shower / meditation / sport)
8. Cutting out everybody who drawed me down - I have 10 contacts left in my private phone
9. Realizing that I have only energy for one big goal at a time; I work on my businesses, if I have energy left I go to the gym. That's it.
10. Realizing that it's easier now to do the ground work than in five or ten years
11. Taking a quick walk around the block when I'm tired
12. Realizing that the only difference between an "average" rich guy and me is work ethic and execution

Edit: Just thought about my list. At the end of the day, it wasn't important for me to be a successful entrepreneur. It was more important for me to F*ck around, to be lazy, to be comfortable, to feel good, to avoid rejection...

Being broke, homeless, and broken in spirit changed me. My mindset changed. Working long hours is not hard anymore, because the only thing that matters is achieving my one goal. Some of the productivity tricks of my list are making it easier, but easy doesn't matter to me anymore.

Last edited:

Brentnal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 23, 2013
Netherlands/Sidewalk
I just put my head down and get to work. motivation is not really a factor. I need to do something, so i do it. I ignore my feelings and just go. Eventually, I look up, and before i know it the work is done, and that motivates me to keep going. it's really amazing what you can get done whenever you just go at it.

I get what you are saying, i do this at school it is simple and it works, just think you are a robot and do it.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
I strongly recommend following what @Silverhawk851 said. I started a system just a few days ago, and it's brilliant.

When you have a big goal, it sometimes looks scary. "How could I ever do this?", "I won't be able to finish this", these were the kind of thoughts that went through my mind.

Once you break down your goal and see actually what steps you have to take to get there, it's much simpler. Remember, it's a process. It's all those daily efforts that you put in streamed into a focused direction that will bring you there.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England
I strongly recommend following what @Silverhawk851 said. I started a system just a few days ago, and it's brilliant.

When you have a big goal, it sometimes looks scary. "How could I ever do this?", "I won't be able to finish this", these were the kind of thoughts that went through my mind.

Once you break down your goal and see actually what steps you have to take to get there, it's much simpler. Remember, it's a process. It's all those daily efforts that you put in streamed into a focused direction that will bring you there.
With regard to a system, how did you set it up? do you make a list of tasks then work through them or do you set a specific amount to be completed that day? if the latter what if you can't work out how long a task would take to complete?

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Having consistent days with 80% productivity beats having bursts of 100%. That's why whenever I miss something, I don't sweat it out as much. As long as I keep doing consistently, results will come.

I set it up with different areas I want to improve in my life. Those being:

• Starting a business
  • Be better at my native language in speaking and writing (i.e copywriting and learning how to convey your thoughts)
  • Better my health
  • Have more focus, clarity and peace
  • Be more knowledgeable
  • Create a circle of entrepreneur friends that want to better themselves
  • Have a better relationship

Then you break those down and see which steps you need to take in order to progress. For example:

• Sending out 20 personalized emails for companies in a specific niche for idea extraction
  • Read one news article from a serious newspaper
  • Practice 20 minutes of copywriting every day
  • Going swimming every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at a 2 PM
  • Meditating 5 minutes every morning after my coffee
  • Read one chapter of a book before sleeping
  • Create a mastermind group with like minded individuals
  • Write down one thing you love about your life partner

I recommend starting slow and adding more tasks if you can handle. It's better to start small and keep improving than having a mountain of to-dos and give up after two weeks because it's too mentally stressing.

It's about the long run.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

Boom! On the money with that statement!
Rep sent :)

With regard to a system, how did you set it up? do you make a list of tasks then work through them or do you set a specific amount to be completed that day?

You know why you want to focus on a system and not a goal?

Because you can't achieve the big, grand, goal in this moment, it's not possible to get it all.
You can't.
But what is possible is breaking it down, and doing one step, right now.

For example, if my goal is to write a book,
no matter how hard I hustle today,
I can't write the entire book.

I can't shelve it,
make money from it,

no matter how motivated I am,
how bad I want it.

It's not within my control.

But what IS within my control,
is writing two pages.

That's it.
And tomorrow, I'll do what's within my control,
and write two pages.

And the next day,
and then the next.
And in a year, I'll have written 730 pages.

that's give or take 3 books.

How crazy would I have gotten trying to write,
if my goal was to write 3 books this year?

Doesn't that sound crazy stressful?
Compared to writing 2 pages?

Take what steps you can NOW.
Just today.

What changed my life is that I decided,
I'll do 2 things every day,
That'll make 80% progress every day,

and

avoid 2 things every day,
that create 80% of stagnation,

PROCESS creates EVENTS!

Fall in love with the process,
and you can't help but succeed!

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
what motivates me is time, time goes by really fast and i don't have time to waste partying alot,watching television all around the clock and some of those simple little things that eat out your time like pirahnas. if you look at it a million dollars can't buy a minute from last year, time is one of the most precious resources we have and yet still we tend to waste it like we got a thousand years to live. well for a guy like me i am a mortal lol and i don't have time to waste i am always focusing on my goal day by day because as they usally said
Quotes-about-time.jpg

and that quote is really true. i don't want to be sixty years old reflecting back on my life and saying to myself only if i did have enough time i would have done this and that because that's losers talk that's why i don't waste time anymore we all have 24 hours a day and it's what you do with it that counts.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
what motivates me is time, time goes by really fast and i don't have time to waste partying alot,watching television all around the clock and some of those simple little things that eat out your time like pirahnas. if you look at it a million dollars can't buy a minute from last year, time is one of the most precious resources we have and yet still we tend to waste it like we got a thousand years to live. well for a guy like me i am a mortal lol and i don't have time to waste i am always focusing on my goal day by day because as they usally said
View attachment 9659

and that quote is really true. i don't want to be sixty years old reflecting back on my life and saying to myself only if i did have enough time i would have done this and that because that's losers talk that's why i don't waste time anymore we all have 24 hours a day and it's what you do with it that counts.
Well said.

Definitely a massive lesson to be learned. Getting older teaches you this abruptly.

When I was 18. It never occurred to be that one day soon I'll be 10 years older, having felt like I was 18 yesterday.

Time goes by incredibly fast.

The worst part is. When I was 20. I looked at people my age who weren't doing well. And I would laugh at them inside calling them low lives who werent doing anything in life.

Little did I know I was going to become one of them.

Talk about lighting that fire under your a$$.

obrian

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Apr 16, 2015
Well said.

Definitely a massive lesson to be learned. Getting older teaches you this abruptly.

When I was 18. It never occurred to be that one day soon I'll be 10 years older, having felt like I was 18 yesterday.

Time goes by incredibly fast.

The worst part is. When I was 20. I looked at people my age who weren't doing well. And I would laugh at them inside calling them low lives who werent doing anything in life.

Little did I know I was going to become one of them.

Talk about lighting that fire under your a$$.
lol for real i understand, is over a year i found out about this and looking back i want to pinch myself because of the awful amount of times i have lost on ridiculous things.

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
Not quite sure how I ended up on this post today, but loving that I did.

@Silverhawk851, your breakdown of why systems are so much stronger than goals is awesome and again does that all important thing of taking the emotion out of things which all too often trip us up. It also quickly becomes something that turns from task to habit, making turning things up a notch on the journey a huge deal easier than stumbling to your goals tripping, starting over and keeping on repeating yourself because you wouldn't read the rejections.

Big thanks to you @The Grind for asking the question. it's an issue that I hear many of the people I coach and mentor struggle with and for most of them it's to do with being blind to where they're actually going. If any of you have spent time around toddlers then you'll know how it goes. You're all heading to an end destination. They know where they're going to end up and it could be the coolest playground in the land... but being young they don't really have a concept of where anything is and how long it takes to get there. This leads to that inevitable moment where they get tired and frustrated that they're not there yet.... and the arms fly up in the air in frustration, they sit down on the floor, cry and refuse to move any more. Cue everyone getting annoyed and the child getting picked up, taken home and they miss out on their dream (playing in the playground).

Now if they knew that they had to pass by 6 lampposts, cross over by the duck pond and then down the lane with the tortoise statue in it then getting to their goal would be fun. They know each of the step, which in itself is a mini adventure... meaning by the time they've reached their goal they're already feeling amazing because of the fun journey getting there,

I have no idea where the tortoise statue came from... I've never even seen a tortoise statue (NICHE ALERT!! ;))

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump

Please SEARCH before posting.