The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Slowlane Mindset Gave Up on Millions of Dollars

Topics related to Slowlane, Scripted mainstream dogma

DarKoren

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Nov 9, 2014
This is a story of my friend's father, he works as a senior engineer at the government-funded electricity-provider company of my country (tens of billions of dollars in annual revenue). He is a very smart person with amazing qualities, the only thing I have found a bit lackluster about him is that he is the definition of slowlane, you know.. Pretty well off, bound to retire rich at an old age, works for someone else, all that.. His story is one I've followed closely, and now that it is practically over I want to share it with you.

What this guy did is AMAZING. After a while working at the electricity company he found a need that, if solved, would save millions of dollars a year for the company and would cause power issues to be fixed faster by about 90%. The mapping tools of the company were old-fashioned and inefficient, all the power wires and poles that were spread across the entire country were mapped on OLD PAPER MAPS. Could you imagine? Paper maps at a billion dollar corporation at the 21th century? His idea was to replace the maps with a highly-efficient, GPS-based mobile mapping application. Without a doubt, a multi-million dollar worth of technology.

He knew he was the man for the job, but instead of making it a reality on his own (a thing I know for a fact he could have done), he did the horrible mistake of being a good employee and pushed the idea THROUGH THE COMPANY. Do you know how did this idea was recieved by the higher ranks? Like every idea pushed through a governmental corporation. BUREAUCRACY. LOTS OF BUREAUCRACY. People that didn't like the idea (or our guy) gave it their all just to throw his plans of a better future to the curbs. Resources for him to use were scarce. But he didn't give in. Years after his original plan was plotted, one of the best projects ever implemented by the 90 year old company finally came through! The company CEO released a statement to multiple media channels and magazines, telling the whole country about the company's new feat and its benefits: $5 million dollars in tax-payer money saved per year and 90% more efficiency in pinpointing power-malfunctions. Oh, wait, I haven't told you what he got yet?

Nothing.
Absolutely nothing.

I mean, he got his praises, but as the inventor and leader of this venture, he got nothing as far as money and credit is concerned. The only thing comes to my mind is a recognition as an "Employee of the year" along with 10 other employees. Not one statement to the press made by the company mentioned his name. Such remarkable INNOVATION followed by ACTION, such little return on investment.

He could have pushed this project on his own legally, he could have made his family rich for generations, selling his own technology to the electricity company. He could have been recognized as one of the country's best engineers. I know he could have. But he didn't, and he got nothing but good words.

My advice to you:
Make it on your own. Nobody will make it for you. Play the game and KNOW THE RULES.

Best of Luck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DarKoren

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Nov 9, 2014
Wow. Really sad for the guy...
Well yeah, it was his choice after all, probably driven by fear. The outcome was pretty much predictable. He didn't take the risk, therefore he didn't get the reward.

J. van Driessen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Dec 14, 2014
Well yeah, it was his choice after all, probably driven by fear. The outcome was pretty much predictable. He didn't take the risk, therefore he didn't get the reward.

The question is: does he realise he could have done differently?

DarKoren

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Nov 9, 2014
The question is: does he realise he could have done differently?
Yes. Following the early dismissal of his idea by the upper-ranks, he considered going solo and realized he can pretty much do it, he is a super-talented engineer. He finally decided to fight the bureacracy and push it through the company. A decision that cost him, and I'm being easy on the numbers here, tens of millions of dollars worth of technology. He didn't lose a lot, but he didn't earn much either.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
i get the point of the story, but obviously there are going to be instances like this where people dont go it alone and do it for their company.

if everyone just quit when they came up with a good idea for a company, then companies wouldn't have cures/patents/etc because it would be better to just do it yourself.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Just came across this post as it was in the Latest Replies section. Hell of a coincidence as I was in a $1,500,000+ house yesterday on a job. Turns out the owner invented a product for the power supply companies that helps them monitor usage. He is worth a fortune. I don't think he even made the product, just licences the idea out.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Well that's the type of guy you want to hire but as aspiring fastlaners you don't want to be that guy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.