The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How I 'retired' at age 22.

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...
D

DeletedUser394

I've been getting some interest as to what it is I'm actually doing now, so I figured I'd share.

I'll be the first to admit that some people aren't going to like this. I'm not living large at the moment, I don't have fancy cars or any of that stuff. I take transit haha.

All told it took me about 2 years to get to the point where I could 'retire'. I put retire in quotations because retirement signifies an end, but this is not an end for me, it's only the beginning.

A while back I had to take a good long look at who it is that I want to be, and how I want to live my life. During this introspection, I did my best to ignore or push away all the external motivators and societal pressures. (you need to make xyz amount of money, drive this or that car, fancy clothes, etc).

What I discovered was that I valued time and freedom over the amount of money and material possessions that I have. Don't get me wrong, one day I would still like to have a 458 italia and a penthouse, etc.

But it was much more important to me to have complete freedom of my time first and foremost. Nobody owns me, nobody tells me what to do, where to be, and when to be there. That's what I was ultimately after.

To get to that point, I determined that it would take a lot less money than I previously thought. A LOT less.

For those who haven't heard of it, there's a principle known as the 4% withdrawal rate, whereby you can reasonably expect to withdraw 4% of your total capital and that money will last you 30+ years with an 85% success rate over the history of the financial markets. Right now I'm hovering around a 3% withdrawal rate to be safer.

To make this money I literally don't have to do anything. It's a blessing and a curse lol, but that's beyond the scope of this post.

Where did I get the capital to get to this point? I started by hustling;

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-to-buying-and-selling-anything-part-1.35889/

Then I took all of that profit and invested in the Vending Machine business. I did no research whatsoever, and lost most of my money fairly quickly.

Put the shoes back on and started hustling again.

Working multiple jobs and hustling I was able to invest in founding a concierge business. I hated it and cashed out really quick. But at that point I had enough money. How could I have enough after such a short period of time? Because of the viewpoint I discovered above, that to reach my first goal I didn't need nearly as much money as I thought.

As of right now, my income is rather low. But I'm 100% free and in control. I take advantage of every tax break, and at year end the government actually owes me more money than the entire amount of tax that I paid throughout the year.

Find what works for you, and get there. As I said, to me the most important thing was freedom. Not even freedom in the sense that you run your own business, but freedom in the sense that I can get paid without the need for a job NOR a business.

The Investment Strategy

This ain't sexy or exciting. It's slow and boring, but it works.

I only invest in the biggest stock indices in north america (TSX, Nasdaq, NYSE, etc) with some foreign exposure.

My exposure is heavily overweight in low cost ETFs held for the long term. I've lost something like $60,000 in the past 2 and a half weeks LOL, but I stay the course. Most of my investments are cyclical in nature. I've been steadily buying into the pullbacks because I don't care. While others are fearful, I'm greedy as hell and I'll buy all your shares happily.

Most managers can't beat the index... So why should I try? Is the difference between a 9% return and a 6.55% return worth it to me? (meaning I'd have to do all my own research and watch the markets constantly). Not really, no.

You may be saying that it's risky because I don't have control and the stock market could crash tomorrow, and you might not be wrong about that.

But I now have the knowledge, and the confidence to be able to pick myself up and get back into the fight if need be.

So what am I doing now then?

I'm starting a new company of course! Now that I have my base needs taken care of, I'm free to take bigger risks. As I grow my asset base, my income will increase proportionately.

I'm now officially a coached speed skating athlete and will be competing nationally next season.

I'll be going to Latvia within the next month or two. Why the hell Latvia? Because some awesome fastlaners are living there and I'd like to go hang out.

If you're in Riga, let's hang out.

Just living life, and having fun.

Good luck on your journeys folks.

As I said, I'm not at the end of my journey, it has only begun! :D

PS: If this counterculture type of shit appeals to you (it does to me.. I ain't a hippy though), check out MrMoneyMustache and EarlyRetirementExtreme.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Great material. The hustle has to be there. That is the fire. Mr. Money mustache is like swallowing burnt coffee. It's true but it can be God awful at times. He states to drive shitty cars and wear shitty clothes and live at your work place then save every check. I am digging through it but cmon....Some of his stuff can be too ripe. STILL! Great material and he makes sense. Are you familiar with bank on yourself @GrumpyCat? Very interesting concept.

D

DeletedUser394

Are you familiar with bank on yourself @GrumpyCat? Very interesting concept.

Never heard of it, I'll have to look into it.

Regarding MMM and ERE, I no longer frequent either site. They were great to get me to understand what I needed to, but after that it was mostly repetitive.

Even Steven

tumbling down the learning curve
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Nov 7, 2014
Really cool thoughts, @GrumpyCat. I don't think I could bring myself to walk the same path, mostly because of my wife and kids, but I REALLY respect your freedom.

Keep hustlin', my brother.

Stu_Hefner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Mar 9, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Hey Ryan would love to hear more on how you structure taxes when you have the time.

I have a similar goal in mind where I want to compete in pro tennis with the freedom of my money/investments/businesses. I'm 26 so not exactly an up and comer, quite old in the tennis world but idgaf, that's what it feel like.

Congratulations, and good luck with the skating.

D

DeletedUser394

It's pretty complicated and I'm no expert but it's a combination of tax advantaged investments and Accounts.

I can write off most expenses.

I'm taxed on only 50% of my cap gains and the rate on the 50% is low.

I also have a lot of banked tax credits.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
I did my best to ignore or push away all the external motivators and societal pressures.
But it was much more important to me to have complete freedom of my time first and foremost. Nobody owns me, nobody tells me what to do, where to be, and when to be there. That's what I was ultimately after.

These 2 really resonated with me. It really is a challenge when you are surrounded with people (especially friends) who think differently with you, but it doesn't mean you are right and they are wrong (or vise-versa), it's just something I have to accept and deal with. I learned that at the end of the day, I'd still be thinking about myself and my own happiness, same is true with the rest.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
Simply brilliant. You may well be one of the richer men on this forum because you have the ultimate commodity on your side - (free) time.

P.S. Why did you hate the concierge business? I have a chance to get into something similar and would love a first hand opinion on it. Specifically, did you hate the job itself or the customers?

Leo Hendrix

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Apr 15, 2014
Any idea of which field your new company is going to be in?

Kudos to you for achieving this at a young age...and you probably just graduated from College to?

Now you that have a lot of the most precious and valuable commodity, nothing can stop you.

D

DeletedUser394

Simply brilliant. You may well be one of the richer men on this forum because you have the ultimate commodity on your side - (free) time.

P.S. Why did you hate the concierge business? I have a chance to get into something similar and would love a first hand opinion on it. Specifically, did you hate the job itself or the customers?

The customers. We catered to ultra wealthy foreigners. This is one of the few things I don't really want to get into, but let's just say that many wealthy people from developing countries seem to expect that they can treat people like garbage as they do at home. (Qatar, Brazil, China, South Africa, etc).

My worst experience was with an older South African couple.. although they may have actually been British and just living down there, I didn't bother to find out.

I never really had many problems with people from Western/developped nations (north america, europe, aussie, japan etc). If I had to pick favorites, I would say that the Japanese clients were the best. No matter how rich they were, their requests were reasonable, they were extremely polite and quiet and friendly.

One lady that stands out in my memory turned post it notes into a beautiful origami swan as a gift (don't know why, but the Asian clients often gave gifts). Here's this woman who's family is worth tens of millions sitting there for at least an hour making the swan. Incredible.

Overall the concierge business is mighty lucrative, but too often you had to figuratively 'bend over, and take it' (not literally!)... and let's just say that doesn't vibe with my personality.

D

DeletedUser394

Any idea of which field your new company is going to be in?

Kudos to you for achieving this at a young age...and you probably just graduated from College to?

Now you that have a lot of the most precious and valuable commodity, nothing can stop you.

New company in the e commerce space. Real estate is way overvalued and expensive (this was my original intent). I'm looking to maintain freedom of movement.. and quite honestly I want to avoid face to face interactions with customers as much as possible. Although franchising (purchasing existing ones) is still on my radar.. just the entry cost is a bit too high for me right now.

As for college.. I dropped out 4 or 5 years ago, and I dropped out again about 2 months ago haha. I will be taking a few business courses at a local technical college within the next few months as I'm lacking in certain fundamental areas of business, but I'm done with that liberal arts crap.

Thanks for the support!

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Then I took all of that profit and invested in the Vending Machine business. I did no research whatsoever, and lost most of my money fairly quickly.

bahahah, this was my favourite part of this post. It reminds me of my own horrible disastrous "war stories".

Hope you have fun in latvia, I am very good friends with the fastlaners there, you will learn a ton from them.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
but let's just say that many wealthy people from developing countries seem to expect that they can treat people like garbage as they do at home. (Qatar, Brazil, China, South Africa, etc).

Add Russia and India onto the list also.

I was wondering about this the other day and it comes from their country being new to money, their rich dont know how to behave properly. Thats why Japan is not on the list as they have been rich a while now.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Working multiple jobs and hustling I was able to invest in founding a concierge business. I hated it and cashed out really quick. But at that point I had enough money. How could I have enough after such a short period of time? Because of the viewpoint I discovered above, that to reach my first goal I didn't need nearly as much money as I thought.

Good for you. I still dont understand anything about your nebulous stories (and judging from other responses in your other threads, I'm not the only one).

In your other thread your net worth was roughly 200k after your "buyout", but it was very unclear how much debt you still have, how much is really liquid and how much is just net worth on paper etc. So 200k at 3% are 6k, which is 500 per month, leaving taxes out for simplicity. So thats "retirement" for you? Who can live off 500? Are you still living at home?

I'm officially giving up on trying to understand what your deal is, even though you seem like an interesting character, but the numbers just dont add up to me and I feel like theres a lot of information missing in this story.

So good luck, seems to work for you, but I'm out.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Good for you. I still dont understand anything about your nebulous stories (and judging from other responses in your other threads, I'm not the only one).

In your other thread your net worth was roughly 200k after your "buyout", but it was very unclear how much debt you still have, how much is really liquid and how much is just net worth on paper etc. So 200k at 3% are 6k, which is 500 per month, leaving taxes out for simplicity. So thats "retirement" for you? Who can live off 500? Are you still living at home?

I'm officially giving up on trying to understand what your deal is, even though you seem like an interesting character, but the numbers just dont add up to me and I feel like theres a lot of information missing in this story.

You can live pretty comfortably on $500/month in parts of Europe, asia, south america...

but none the less <popcorn.gif goes here>

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
A while back I had to take a good long look at who it is that I want to be, and how I want to live my life. During this introspection, I did my best to ignore or push away all the external motivators and societal pressures. (you need to make xyz amount of money, drive this or that car, fancy clothes, etc).
Me too :)

D

DeletedUser394

You're free to doubt. Your opinion doesn't change my reality.

As stated in the other thread that you're referring to, I passed $750,000 back in mid october (2 months ago) after having received the last installment payment. Been aggressively paying down debt since. Have about $16,000 to go.

While I make more than 500/month, like I said my lifestyle is not for everyone. I value freedom more than material possessions at this time.

I can afford pretty much any basic necessity (food, shelter, clothing, etc), but not many luxuries (some travel.. ie Latvia). If I were to get a car right now for example, then I'd have to find more income.

Please stop trying to 'figure it out', as it's becoming quite tedious answering your same question phrased differently in every thread.

If I was going to lie or embellish, I'd want to have a more exciting life than this lol. Because it isn't exciting, my investment style is boring, but I'm free. And that's the only thing that matters.

Good luck to you.

D

DeletedUser394

bahahah, this was my favourite part of this post. It reminds me of my own horrible disastrous "war stories".

Hope you have fun in latvia, I am very good friends with the fastlaners there, you will learn a ton from them.

Yeah I'm looking forward to it!

I also lost a shit ton of money (or may have broken even? so long ago) on a children's shoe business way back when. A closet full of lady bug mary janes.. wanted to shoot myself lol.

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Hey GrumpyCat. Thank you for all your effort for this forum.
I have some questions tho. You said in your post in this thread that you passed 750.000$ (correct me if I am wrong), but you have 16.000$ debt left.

Maybe I am totally wrong and you meant smth else but how did you made 750k in just two year (?) just by:
2 jobs (I guess not a job like doctor or investment banker, in the hustling thread you wrote you would clean toilets.)
Hustling (I saw that you reached the goal of 10k. Thats all)

So again may I am completly wrong, please correct me but where does the rest of the money comes from?

What money do you exactly have that is invested and in what?

D

DeletedUser394

Fair questions.

It's not that difficult to dramatically increase your asset base when you own 50% of a business that is growing at an alarmingly quick pace.

If you don't know what the Stampede is, we grew our revenue exponentially during that 10 day period and I cashed out not long after. (I added on about $200k just from that two weeks).

It may seem crazy, but if you've never been to Stampede, you have no idea the amount of wealth that is generated in such a short period of time. Many bartenders/waitresses will bring in $2.5k/night during Stampede.

I used the job money to co-found the concierge business.

The first hustling thread was started four years ago. I stopped updating that after a while I believe, but I was still building on it in the real world. I never stopped at $10k.

Most people would balk at asking for exact financial information, so I won't go into too much detail. I'm not a millionaire. I have enough to cover my basic life requirements. My basic life requirements are much lower than some people here can seem to wrap their head around.

I already told everyone what I invest in. (are you familiar with the stock market?) I was also investing on margin when I was at $750k.

I invest in low cost ETFs that track the major North American indices, and have some international exposure. Primarily utilizing the TD E-Series funds, paying MERs of between 0.33% and 0.55%.

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc...s-funds.jsp?tab=what-is-it#what-does-td-offer

TD E-Series funds are open to only customers of Toronto Dominion Bank. Vanguard offers similar ETFs to anyone, anywhere.

D

DeletedUser394

Ps: If I don't reply to certain people from now on, it's because they're on my ignore list and I can no longer see their posts.

I structure my real life in such a way as I ignore people that I don't like... I see no reason not to extend that into the virtual world.

Carry on!

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Thank you for answering that fast. Really nice its alot more clear now.

I googled "Stampede" I am form germany so here it doesnt exist, but its like a big festival where ppl drink and eat right? Smth like that.
So I could do the same with for example christmas markets here in germany right? Buy a little house (cant describe it to well, out of wood, transportable) put it on the marketplace (alot of others do that too) and sell wine and stuff.

I heard of a guy who made 70k just by this. :D
But why dont other ppl do it? Sounds easy. Find good looking waitresses, pay them 8€ an hour and cash out.
How much did you had to invest in the "Stampede" ? Is this were the debt comes from?

I am a little familiar with the stock market. I had around 2k in there (lol) but I sold it all to start the hustling.

ETFs are a combination of different stocks, right? Others manage it for you, so if for example one stock lose money you wont lose so much because of the other stocks.

I hope I am not on the ignore list :D

D

DeletedUser394

That's not really what Stampede is haha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary_Stampede

1.4 million visitors over 10 days. A lot of them are insanely wealthy. They had ridiculous requests, and we filled them and made more money :) Those were our clients.

Last year generated about $345 million dollars in 10 days for the local economy.

My ETFs are not managed by anyone really. They just buy and sell stock in proportion to their representation on the various exchanges. But yes, they are a collection of stocks.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
If you don't know what the Stampede is, we grew our revenue exponentially during that 10 day period and I cashed out not long after. (I added on about $200k just from that two weeks).
Thats actually the first real good explanation you put out after all your claims. :)

D

DeletedUser394

Why did you bomb in the vending machine business?

It was my first actual business purchase. There were a lot of factors that went into that failure. Inexperience and naivety were issues.

The main thing was that I just bought an existing route without actually doing much research. (just being honest). I just assumed that you buy a business and start making money lol.

I also didn't have adequate transportation and it was very inconsistent so my stocking of the machines as well as my morale was poor. At one point I took on a part time employee to rectify that, but I was so new to this that it rather quickly imploded.

I had the same mistake happen with my shoe business. I bought something like 125 pairs of children's shoes, did absolutely no research (other than to compare my purchase price to what I thought I could sell them for). Didn't work out so well.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.