The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you "productize" a service?

Marketing, social media, advertising

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
I've heard the term "productized service" thrown around as a middle ground to achieving some level of scale for labor intensive service providers.

I do freelance copywriting and would like to start working towards this, but am not sure if it's a good fit. What would a productized service look like in my field? Templates perhaps? (if so, may not be worthwhile as copywriters get paid well precisely to fill in the details)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
From what I understand it just means you sell your service the way you'd sell a product (i.e you don't change the pricing).

So for your copywriting service you'd sell it for 1 price or 3 different prices (3 different products/packages), and the price would pretty much be the same for each customer. i.e there would not be a need for them to get a quote because you'd be selling pre-priced services.

Check out fiverr.com for examples.

That way you could hire freelance copywriters for your agency, agree on a price that the copywriters are willing to work for then focus your efforts on bringing in customers willing to pay your mark-up price.

Hope that makes some sense.

Good night.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
First I am seeing that term... is it similar to a commoditized product/service?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
First I am seeing that term... is it similar to a commoditized product/service?
I don't suppose it matters what label we put on it. :)

In essence it just means having a menu of services from which people can buy different packages at different prices.

The benefits to us, the service provider, is the efficiencies we get through creating repeatable processes.

Processes start off as ad-hoc when you do them for the first time. You take the longest time and the most effort to do it the first time, and often have to solve completely new problems to you.

The second time you do it is much quicker and more efficient.

If you find yourself doing a process regularly (or believe you will), then you might start documenting it. Step by step How-To instructions, together with notes on *what* is being performed and *why*...

But having a process documented doesn't make it repeatable necessarily by anyone other than the person documenting it.

Pass that document over to someone else to repeat, and they will get stuck on the simplest things in your documentation ... because you have made some assumptions that you are oblivious too.

The only way to really make a process repeatable by other people is to get them to step through your documentation, and update your document with their feedback.

Keep doing this with different people and you eventually have a repeatable process.

Once a process is repeatable, it can often be wholly or partially automated to improve repeatability and efficiency.

And we're all chasing the wholly grail of an optimised process.

So the lifecycle of a process is to go from ad-hoc, to documented, to repeatable, maybe to automated, and finally to optimised.

Ideally we can remove ourselves from the process (freeing our time).

(And before we start, we need to determine if it's a process we even need to do!)

I like to think of "The Four T's":
  1. Visibility (of what has been done and why)
  2. Traceability (of how it was done and the results of each step)
  3. Repeatability (combine the results of the first two steps and we should be able to create a repeatable process)
  4. Accountability (you now have full visibility of who did what, how, when and why... and the results)

The process of making processes repeatable is a process itself.

As with most things you just need to start. :)

Maxmagnus

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Oct 21, 2015
Whether it's a "product" or a "service" the sells method is almost the same. You should have a strong marketing strategy that starts by determining your position , what to target, what the competitors offer better or less than you, ( Look for the 5 porter forces analysis it's pretty simple to understand and apply"...

- Give a high value to the solutions you are offering and let your costumers know that.
- Be visible and accessible.
- Offer a good service and be very responsive.
- Your brand name, logo, taglines should be very catchy , memorable and easy to spell.
- Observe constantly what your competitors are doing.

Andrew Ward

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 29, 2015
Birmingham, UK
You productise by thinking first about what people are really buying from you. So in your example though you are selling copywriting services this is not actually why people buy from you at all. They are buying brand image, SEO performance, a channel to market etc. Find out which of these real benefits you are best at delivering and start there.

For example, let's say you are amazing at writing and getting your writings into a paper. You could sell the product of 3 published articles per month in certain papers for a fixed or monthly fee. All of a sudden it is about selling the outcome of the service rather than the service itself.

You could also put together a few different things (blog writing, SEO checking etc) into one easy to understand bundle and sell like that.

I must point out though that you are selling your time and this isn't really a fastlane business unless you change the way you operated to differentiate more and detach the product (writing) from your time (the act of writing).

Here is an idea: You could offer to write books for people who are looking to publish, accept part payment and part shareholding. At least this way if a book goes book goes boom then the rewards you reap are proportional to the success of the book, not just the time it took to write.

John Robert

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2014
DO NOT SELL YOUR TIME.

Again, let me repeat, in case i wasnt clear the first time....

DO NOT SELL YOUR TIME.

Its not scalable.

And clients suck.

Here are some ideas for scalable businesses...

...create an info product (ie. 'Marketing templates for dentists' , 'copywriting course for internet entrepreneurs' , 'copywriting tactics for ecom store owners' etc. )

...do performance/affiliate marketing (ie. Write the copy/ buy ad space and make commissions on every product sold)

...create a matching service (ie. Uber for copywriters...)

...partner up with a product owner who has no clue how to sell his product

...etc.

I am a copywriter, did the client thing and hated it, made some money in affiliate marketing, then from there moved on to start two other truly fastlane businesses around the vertical i specialized in, for example.

I hope that helps.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.