The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do you go about getting a product designed?

UsmaanJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 10, 2014
London, United Kingdom
I've always thought this to myself but couldn't come up with an answer so thought maybe you guys can help me. In fact I'm sure you can.

If one comes up with a product or an innovated design of a product (in their head), how would he/she go about getting it designed using technology in order for it to be manufactured? Say for example the person doesn't know how to use AutoCad or has little skill in it which is not sufficient enough for them to make the complete design to pass on to a manufacturer.

Would that person just simply outsource that bit of work? If so, wouldn't that have many risks such as your idea being stolen etc.

Thanks in advance guys.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Hire a local designer or engineer to bring your idea to life via drawings, solid models, etc. There are a lot of 3D printing studios that have popped up to fill this need as well. As an inexpensive option, talk to the local college or school drafting department and see if you can get your item in as a class project or can connect with some of the stand out students.

As someone who provides this service often, here are a few tips:
- make some rough sketches with written descriptions. I know, you can't draw. Not sure if you have seen patent some US patent applications....you are not the only one that can't draw! Doesn't matter if it is stick figures, draw it!
- do as much of the legwork of finding materials and components as possible. Do some work here! Don't just say 'I want the next facebook or the next bread slicer' and leave it up to them to pick everything. Finding and sourcing components is a key part of the business and will help you in determining costs.
- search the world for something similar. Buy it and cut it up and bend and shape a few pieces to try and create an initial model of what your are thinking. Use paper, tape, whatever. Just something to get the idea across and help you develop it in your own mind.

Hope that helps!

One more thing..... AutoCAD takes about 3 minutes to learn how to start a file and draw a line. There are a host of free cad softwares out there. Can even go Google Sketchup. Quit making excuses and get to work!!

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
I did a very rough sketch and found an industrial engineer on eLance. The guy is amazing and took my concept 10 levels up. He's not only designed it, but is now working on 3 prototypes.

I had no idea about materials etc or how to make the thing work. My engineer does and his previous work showed it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

EcomEngine

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 31, 2014
I did a very rough sketch and found an industrial engineer on eLance. The guy is amazing and took my concept 10 levels up. He's not only designed it, but is now working on 3 prototypes.

I had no idea about materials etc or how to make the thing work. My engineer does and his previous work showed it.

How did you go about finding the right person for the design on elance? With so many engineers I'm having trouble narrowing the search for the right designer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.