The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I validate this?

Firebirdz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 16, 2015
Ok, so throughout my life I've always dealt with having NLD, a rather unique learning disability.
I like to think that I've grown out of it due to improving my health, lifestyle, nutrition, & some techniques. Well not really grown out, at least it's been reduced to having almost no side effects.

I think I can help a lot of these people live a better life. I've witnessed a lot of them just playing the victim of their learning disability and I think I can really help some people out. My target group would unlike most books, which are for adults of children, be for (young) adults. So dude's like my self who don't want to have a shitty life because they have a learning disability.

Since all the current websites about NLD are all ugly websites made by some old communities. I figured what if I make an e-book on how to 'treat NLD', followed by an Udemy e-course. I would start slowly building a customer base by weekly posting one interesting and cool blogpost while working on my ebook and when that's finished the videocourse.

Before I do all this and invest some months of time in it I of course want to check how much people would actually buy that videocourse when I do release it. How do I go about this?!

(In the attachment I already added some keyword research results, and some ppl getting hyped up in a small NLD facebook group.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• NVLD.png
    NVLD.png
    59.5 KB · Views: 38
  • nldbookcensored.png
    nldbookcensored.png
    246.2 KB · Views: 40

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
This is a topic you have good domain knowledge and some passion for right?

Just make the udemy course and market it on these websites, and help people. Don't worry about validating it, just start helping people.

Its great experience too

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
Turn it into an online product and put it on clickbank and jvzoo, just an idea!

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
If there's an active Facebook group then that's the perfect place to start, though I'd go a step back and use it for idea . What are the real issue that people struggle with most? These are all topics that people are going to be more than happy to talk about and when they seem their issues being directly reflected n the chapters of a book / lessons in a course then they're much more likely to purchase as it connects directly to a need.

You said it's a small group, which might make it too small a sample to make real judgements from. Have you brought up the question in the group of what other support networks / forums people use. These might provide other sources for idea generation, but also validation.. you could buy advertising on these sites (they're likely to be very niche so prices would be relatively cheap) and see how many would pre-order the book.. I'd guess if you use the most common issues bought up in your sales letter you could do very well on conversions if there's a real interest for it!

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
Do it!

I wouldn't go to Udemy. I'd make it a course online. Ebooks make $0 money so I wouldn't bother - if you write one, use it on your website as part of an email autoresponder in your ever-green funnel. In fact wrote several for the funnel.

The course has to be deliverable instantly - none of that installment bull. Make it MP4 or MP3 - I prefer MP3.

I am working on my second platform following this scheme. It works. My clients love it and it's a nice monthly revenue stream for me - and I don't think I've come anywhere near the ceiling yet. My current platform is in the real estate space. Check it out here www.JustAskBenWhy.com I think our next platform is going to hit it out of the park 10x what this first one is doing...

This can work for you, but there are a couple of caveats:
1. You have to be an expert in the subject matter - don't fake it. People are too smart.
2. You have to be perceived by your audience as an expert

I've seen a few posts of yours here, and I can tell that #2 will be a challenge. I think you know more than enough, but I don't think you believe in yourself enough...nobody else will either...Man up and do it. You idea is great. I am working on something similar right now, so I completely think you can help people and monetize while doing it. But - you must man up, stand up tall, and go freaking do it!

Firebirdz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 16, 2015
Wow, awesome replies and advice, what a motivation. Let's DO IT!
My knowledge is quite OK I've read a book here & there on the subject & I'm gonna go deeper in it. I would combine my self-help knowledge with current ADHD/NLD books & research.

I was thinking to make the e-book and then base my video off of it, so that I have the content prepared. You guys think it would be better to just prepare the content per video of the course?

BTW @JustAskBenWhy , I checked out your website, and some small feedback, I would make your main picture more hi-res! It feels a bit cheap and I don't think you want that :D

Last edited:

Firebirdz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 16, 2015
By the way, if anyone could enlighten me, what would the other possibilities to monetize be then video's or e-books?

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
By the way, if anyone could enlighten me, what would the other possibilities to monetize be then video's or e-books?
Thanks for the feeback on the pic - we are putting the site on another theme, so this is coming :)

I don't like video courses personally, and I've seen people fail with them. Audio can be listened to on the go, in the car, while you excersise. video forces you to be stationary, which couldn't be good.

What I did was create the MP3 files - about 20 hours, and then wrote out the PDFs to accompany. I am a natural speaker, so this worked best for me with just an outline. If I were to do it again, I'd just pay someone on UpWork to transcribe the MP3 files...

This new course we are working on is my wife's idea, and it is a lot more technical in nature. So, for her, it works best to write out the content and then just read with a bit of ad lib. Here delivery is matter of fact, which suites the content, so it works.

Decide what works best for you, but both approaches work.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY

Firebirdz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 16, 2015
This is a topic you have good domain knowledge and some passion for right?

Just make the udemy course and market it on these websites, and help people. Don't worry about validating it, just start helping people.

Its great experience too
I need to be sure this will work, I need money to start coming in the next months.. :D

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Just make it, and make it damn good.
Your validation will be people buying the book.

Don't do the website first. Start with the products themselves.

I like to think that I've grown out of it due to improving my health, lifestyle, nutrition, & some techniques. Well not really grown out, at least it's been reduced to having almost no side effects.
That happens, sometimes.

I learned very late in my life that I may have dyslexia.. but I'm almost 30 now and I've learned so many coping mechanisms throughout my life that symptoms don't show themselves any longer... I found enough 'shortcuts' to get by in life and they became second-nature.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
I need to be sure this will work, I need money to start coming in the next months.. :D
You will never be sure of anything, ever.

How fast can you write the book? Try getting it done in the next week:
(Each day consists of 8-12 hours of actual work)
  • 2 days sourcing as much material as possible and laying it out in book format.
  • 2 days rephrasing the content to make it easier to understand, removing the unnecessary, adding additional incites
  • 1 days rereading and making it as CLEAR AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE to read.
  • 2 days adding images and formatting.
I've written a few sell-able non-fiction books in a weekend using this method. a week is MORE than enough time.

Then contact the people and websites who have great SEO on the topic. Offer to split profits 50/50 with them if they post it on their page. Do this with EVERY AUTHORITY on the topic. If your book is damn good, , it's a no brainer for them.

Post to any affiliate networks as you want. Contact journals and papers and newsletters.
THEN work on the video course, repeating the same marketing plan and THEN work on the website.

The best way to validate a project, is to get people to buy it.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
He wants to guarantee that he will make money before he works, I.e employee mindset.

Perry Rico

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2015
Do it men, what you have is an aspirin. forget earning money, they will come to you when you solve a real pain in the society.

Don't worry on spending too much time on to it, since that time will pass by anyaway whether you execute your diea or not, so go for it!

Firebirdz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 16, 2015
A few things standing in my way:

Apparently there's about 1% of the kids/ppl in america that have it, BUT a lot of it goes undiagnosed.
Also NVLD has been taken of the DSM (most well reknowned learning disabilities list), so I suspect even less diagnoses will happen.
So this makes me really unsure of how scalable this is, and if my niche is big enough.
Most of the stuff out there is for the parents & their children, if I make this for only the young adults added up together with the facts above, it might not be worth it.

I might have to make really expensive courses to make it worth it.. (before this I was always thinking of 50-150€) now I'm thinking of 400-1000€

Another thing: now that it's all getting serious I'm really starting to doubt whether I want to go public and have my face associated with NVLD, and also if the actual clients might be too hard to communicate with.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
You are obviously in this for the money, disappointing man. Luckily it looks like you already talked yourself out of it.

Firebirdz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 16, 2015
A little update:
Wrote my first article and launched the website.
Shared the link in as much places as I could. Result: 200 visitors in 2 days.
Check it out at www.overcomingnld.com

I was hoping for more visitors and I'm still not sure whether or how I could monetize this.
Reactions have been great though: http://prntscr.com/8q8c5c
8q8c5c

Perry Rico

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Sep 16, 2015
A little update:

I was hoping for more visitors and I'm still not sure whether or how I could monetize this.
8q8c5c

Hi,

This is a great indicator and start for trying your idea.

One thing I've noticed to you and to no offense. You seem to equate everything you do to immediate monetary rewards and gain.
Sure thing; you did a great job of doing our first website, the content was very well written...but dude, don't expect a single article
to become a game changer. a game changing pivot in life is an accumulation of many big and small things years of patience and sudddenly they all pours together.

you have 200 visits in 1 day, not bad for first article. imagine doing 1000 articles in 3 years that means you have 200K visits in a day.
So be patient my men!

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
A little update:

8q8c5c

Change your mindset. Focus on helping people, and then they will want to pay you. Also, you just started, right? It make take a year or two to gain traction.

Firebirdz

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 16, 2015
Question:
I'm really passionate about self-actualization too (which is probably why I overcame NLD)
Wouldn't it be better to start a blog about self-actualization (like www.projectlifemastery.com or www.startgainingmomentum.com) and let it have an extra menu for "overcoming NLD"?

So that If I go for the long haul I will have a bigger reach, because I don't think the target audience (NLD'ers, check analytics attachment in 1st post) is big enough to give me a good ROI.
Or would this scare away the people that are actually interested in the self-actualization and vice-versa (not niche enough) ?
Thoughts?

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Are you looking to make money? Or are you looking to help people? Because right now, the term ROI is telling me you're more concerned with money then helping people. This is your first venture, right? It's not going to get you a lot of money. Why don't you focus on growing an audience and learning how to help that audience rather than worrying about money? If you're only doing it for the money, it will not end well. I can attest to this.

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Like so many other said: Just do it already!

But to back it all up to your first post, here is the fastest way to validate your idea the right way:
  1. Write a short, but extremely valuable step-by-step PDF-paper (make it the best it can be) --> this can serve as your outline for the course later down the road, in fact, it probably should. People should want to download this even though their house was on fire.
  2. Turn the PDF into a powerpoint and record your screen, make a screen capture with a voice over... you can seriously use your iphone if you like to use a talking head (record yourself) if you prefer.
  3. Extract the sound.
  4. You now have 3 formats -- PDF, .mp3 and .mp4
  5. Register a domain, or borrow a friend's, or you can borrow one of mine (the domain itself does not matter)
  6. Set up a squeeze page to the domain and connect it to a mail responder service.
  7. Write some awesome headlines and be honest, using any thread in this forum (@SinisterLex and @IceCreamKid, both, have excellent threads on copy and mindset)
  8. Send traffic to the squeeze page offering the PDF for free.
  9. If they opt-in they are redirected to a link with the download and a very short survey. Ask them a few questions about their problems and what they hate or don't like etc.
  10. If they answer the survey, they get a bonus course+audio (the mp3 and mp4)
Now you have validated your idea+you have a small (or large) email list of prospects who you will use to launch your real course towards.

Look at Jeff Walkers sideway launch method and you know exactly how to launch your course with a bang.

Bank the money like you wanted.

You can always use facebook or any social media, but you will NEVER reach the same impact as nurturing an isolated segment of your market as with an email list. If you can get 100 people on a list like this, and you price your course (which has to be top-quality, don't rehash stuff from online), you can have a very successful launch. In addition, you will probably also look into a real business in this market if you continue to work with it and provide real life change and value.

If you need additional help, just ask here or PM if you like, I've helped a few others on this forum and elsewhere about this topic. I do it for free because I learn a lot myself and I just.. well.. like this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.