The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How Bad is the Summer Heat in Phoenix?

D

DeletedUser397

I'm thinking of visiting for a few days to check out the city, and the Scottsdale/Tempe area. Is it really unbearable in 108 degree weather or really not so bad as it seems? I've been to Las Vegas when it was 100 degrees and it wasn't so bad, so I'm just curious if anyone would recommend against going to Arizona during this time of year.

Do those of you who live in Arizona travel to cooler states during the summer or do you just deal with it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I'm wondering the same. I'm deciding between AZ and Las Vegas.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Do those of you who live in Arizona travel to cooler states during the summer or do you just deal with it?

It is the BEST 110 degree heat in the country (for real). I lived in Phoenix for the last 2 summers, and it got hot, but it wasnt a humid hot. I moved to Colorado last week and i'd take 100+ AZ heat over 90 degree heat with humidity anyday.

As far as just visiting and a specific time of the year..... Later fall/winter/early spring is, in my opinion the best time to go. I was laying poolside on Christmas Day.

G

GuestUser116

About a week ago I drove to Phoenix and Tucson in a car with no A/C. It was hotter than hell, I had to pour cold water on my face every hour.

D

DeletedUser397

It is the BEST 110 degree heat in the country (for real). I lived in Phoenix for the last 2 summers, and it got hot, but it wasnt a humid hot. I moved to Colorado last week and i'd take 100+ AZ heat over 90 degree heat with humidity anyday.

As far as just visiting and a specific time of the year..... Later fall/winter/early spring is, in my opinion the best time to go. I was laying poolside on Christmas Day.
Thanks, yeah I've been to Las Vegas when it's 100 degrees outside, and it wasn't quite as bad as I expected. I've been to Colorado also, and it's a bit humid there when it gets hot, so I know what you mean.
About a week ago I drove to Phoenix and Tucson in a car with no A/C. It was hotter than hell, I had to pour cold water on my face every hour.
Oh man, that sounds terrible. Luckily I've got A/C, but I'll be driving also.

Hope

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 22, 2014
I envy anyone able to handle temperatures like that, I hate heat.

I think I'll stick to my northern roots thing you very much. ;)

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
I moved here 8 days ago and love it. Unless you're gonna work construction or outside all day it's not a big deal. It feels nice to step out into the heat for a few minutes, actually.

The only time I ever curse the heat is when I've parked my car in the sun with no windshield cover.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
The question "How bad..." puts a negative connotation on the conversation immediately. Then all answers will be in defense of.... My answer is in celebration of the warmth!

Let's just say that the summers don't slow me down or keep me indoors. I am not talking for everyone.

I came here from the coast of California. I miss some aspects of the coastal living. I made the decision to stay in the desert for many reasons. The heat is the only downside in my matrix. Like I said, the heat does not slow me down from activities. I have the year around to enjoy the outdoor life as the winters are fantastic.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Phoenix sucks as bad in the summer as Minnesota does in the winter. Choose your poison. There's only one perfect climate, and it's not Phoenix or Minneapolis.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Phoenix sucks as bad in the summer as Minnesota does in the winter. Choose your poison.
Depends on what you want/like to do. I can golf, hike, and play softball all year long here in the desert. Can't do that in Minnesota. But hey! I can't ice fish or go snow-mobiling here in the desert. Turns out that I am not interested in those. ;)

No place is bad for everyone. Except parts of Antarctica. Perhaps nobody would want to live in parts of Antarctica...

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
110 degrees and dry feels a lot better than 90 degrees and humid.

I can jump in the pool and when I get out, I'll actually get cold.

I'm used to it and the heat only bothers me come late August. That's when I'm ready for it to start getting cooler.

Phoenix sucks as bad in the summer as Minnesota does in the winter.

Having lived through 26 winters in Chicago, I will disagree with you here. If the Chicago winter was rated a dismal 2, the Phoenix summer would be a 5 or 6. The other nine months are a 10.

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
Having lived through 26 winters in Chicago, I will disagree with you here.

Maybe I'm simple, having a frozen brain from my Minnesota upbringing...but if it could snow every day, and I could spend all day running a snowblower, I'd be in eternal happiness.

Some like it hot, some like it not.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I was just outside in this incredibly hot weather installing new sprinkler systems. I don't know why, we are not going to have enough water to use them. But I like working on things like this for fun anyway.

I know that I could hire this out but then I would lose out on all the enjoyment. I only have an acre to work on so that is not too bad. How many trenches could I possibly have to dig in 112 degree weather? Shit, the sweat was dripping off of my shorts yesterday morning. Liquid was flinging everywhere with every swing of the pick. That fun part is done now. Today I get to work on gluing the pipes together. Much easier...

Anyway, then it hit me. The HABOOB that is.... Hit me right upside the head. Once I regained my senses, I came in here to post about it. Those things have a way of sneaking up on you. Even though you can see them coming from miles away.

This is another reason that I like it here. We have the biggest HABOOBS in the country!!! I gotta go back outside to watch...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...eo-haboob-a-huge-dust-storm-hits-phoenix-area

Last edited:

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
Maybe I'm simple, having a frozen brain from my Minnesota upbringing...but if it could snow every day, and I could spend all day running a snowblower, I'd be in eternal happiness.

Some like it hot, some like it not.

lol yea thats odd. Snow sucks. Shoveling, snowblowing, cleaning off cars.... that all sucks too.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
I think the water situation is the only thing that gives me a bit of pause about Arizona. But that is a issue that pretty much any hot weather west coast place seems to have to deal with.

Shades

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 8, 2011
You can always put on another sweater/jacket...but take too much off and the authorities get involved.

Ive heard that many times and will never agree with it. To me when its really cold it doesnt matter what jacket you have. Cold just sucks. Its some peoples thing I guess but not mine. Id prefer to be able to disc golf all year :)

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I can't think of many things worse than being in a rush and having to scrape ice off your car.
wake up, start car, shower, everything is melted.

I feel that we've left the original post out of the conversation.

100°F is hot, whether humid or not.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
From the sounds of things I'd rather have 100F in dry heat than any humid heat in Pennsylvania or Florida.

twdavis

The Danger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Jul 20, 2013
But Florida humidity is even worse than PA, Florida is a place I visit often to see family and it's crazy unbearable.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Anyway, then it hit me. The HABOOB that is.... Hit me right upside the head. Once I regained my senses, I came in here to post about it. Those things have a way of sneaking up on you. Even though you can see them coming from miles away.

This is another reason that I like it here. We have the biggest HABOOBS in the country!!! I gotta go back outside to watch...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...eo-haboob-a-huge-dust-storm-hits-phoenix-area

These haboobs are pretty cool.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We'll talk next month.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
Greetings from Minnesota... where hell is about to freeze over (literally). Only a slowlaner that has deep seated environmental sickness would live here. There really is no legitimate reason for an entrepreneur, who could be based anywhere on the globe, to live in a God forsaken state like Minnesota. I am convinced that when I die and get to heaven, God is going to say "You know I didn't ever intend on anyone living there...right?".

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/who-the-hell-would-live-in-minnesota.35152/

@AllenCrawley - Let's see if you can top this description by the end of the Arizona summer

Last edited by a moderator:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Touché

Pointing out that Phoenix isn't Mecca in this forum is akin to pointing out that Superman isn't real at comic-con. They all kind of know that Superman isn't real, but it's heresy nonetheless.

There's a reason I don a tropical skirt the winter. It's the same philosophical reason people escape Phoenix in the summer.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
iKehnoB.jpg

kAbkoZs.jpg

^ from today

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Touché

Pointing out that Phoenix isn't Mecca in this forum is akin to pointing out that Superman isn't real at comic-con. They all kind of know that Superman isn't real, but it's heresy nonetheless.

There's a reason I don a tropical skirt the winter. It's the same philosophical reason people escape Phoenix in the summer.

I'm all for spending the summers in Hawaii!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.