The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Hoping to do more with what I already know

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Renee C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jul 29, 2015
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I actually just signed up like a few minutes ago. I've read the book and I really want to give it a shot and see if I can do it. Basically this thread is for me to write down my progress and hopefully there will be a beautiful ending to it.

Where I am now
I am a freelance web developer and I work with many different kinds of content management systems most of the time therefore I am quite familiar with the content management system.

What is my strategy
To create website themes and sell them online.

What is my goal
To achieve 100 sales a month and reaching $20,000 per month.

The reason why I thought of selling website themes is mainly because I am familiar with these systems and also I think it meets the Law of Effection. Wish me luck. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Cool stuff. One piece of advice: don't try to do general things (you won't become the new StudioPress).
You could make a killing in a niche market, instead. Build a brand for websites in that niche (banal example: websites for dentists) and focus on that. Become an authority in that. Profit. Rinse and repeat in another niche.

Renee C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jul 29, 2015
Cool stuff. One piece of advice: don't try to do general things (you won't become the new StudioPress).
You could make a killing in a niche market, instead. Build a brand for websites in that niche (banal example: websites for dentists) and focus on that. Become an authority in that. Profit. Rinse and repeat in another niche.

Hi Digamma, thanks for replying. I will remember your advice. Nothing general and build websites that are niche. :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've read the book and I really want to give it a shot

Fastlane isn't something "to try" or "give a shot" -- it's something you live. This statement is like saying you want to become a competitive swimmer and you're willing to spend a day in the pool to see what happens. You either live in the pool and play the game like it's meant to be played, or you stick your toe in and fool yourself into thinking you've tried. Entrepreneurship isn't a toe-dipping sport. It simply doesn't work that way which is why many "giving it a shot" only do that-- one shot and done.

Nonetheless, I wish you luck. Theming does have Fastlane elements. Take for example http://www.elegantthemes.com/ ... he has 290,000 customers. At $50 a customer, that's nearly $15 million dollars in top line.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Sounds like an idea with potential, but keep in mind this is nothing totally unique. Think of something that would make customers want to come to your website over others. If you can do that, I think you'll rally have something. Best of luck :)

Renee C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jul 29, 2015
Fastlane isn't something "to try" or "give a shot" -- it's something you live. This statement is like saying you want to become a competitive swimmer and you're willing to spend a day in the pool to see what happens. You either live in the pool and play the game like it's meant to be played, or you stick your toe in and fool yourself into thinking you've tried. Entrepreneurship isn't a toe-dipping sport. It simply doesn't work that way which is why many "giving it a shot" only do that-- one shot and done.

Nonetheless, I wish you luck. Theming does have Fastlane elements. Take for example http://www.elegantthemes.com/ ... he has 290,000 customers. At $50 a customer, that's nearly $15 million dollars in top line.

Hi MJ, thanks for replying. I'm not doubting that Fastlane won't work, in fact it actually gave me the push that I need. The reason why I said "try" or "give a shot" is because I'm not sure if I can do it. Like you said, it takes a lot of hard work into the process and plus like what Ninjakid has pointed out, this is nothing unique, I am lacking of confidence that I can do it.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
@Renee C Seeing the discussion in the thread reminded me of something I once ran across. Take a non technical industry and offer website/hosting/email/etc in an all in one package tailored to the industry.

1. You can use your templates
2. You get recurring revenue from the hosting/email

The particular industry was Crossfit gyms but it could be applied to any industry.

Renee C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jul 29, 2015
@Renee C Seeing the discussion in the thread reminded me of something I once ran across. Take a non technical industry and offer website/hosting/email/etc in an all in one package tailored to the industry.

1. You can use your templates
2. You get recurring revenue from the hosting/email

The particular industry was Crossfit gyms but it could be applied to any industry.

Hi DrkSide, I have considered offering other services but it might be time consuming especially when there is a server downtime. Because I need to juggle between my current work and building themes, I don't think I can manage too many things at one time.

Renee C

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jul 29, 2015
Just some updates...

I have started to design the site and often enough ideas will pop into my head while I'm designing. Right now, I'm thinking if I should offer a refund policy. By having a refund policy, I believe customers will have more confidence on my product. On the other hand, I am worried that once the theme has been downloaded by them, they will still ask for a refund whether or not the product works for them. Anyone has any advice / experience on this part?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.