The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help me revive the app I left for dead

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Hey everyone. A little over a year ago I set out to launch an idea that I had in my head for a while for a new iPhone app. Long story short, I ran out of time, money and enthusiasm after the app was launched and moved onto other project. I now have a great e-commerce project that is generating revenue and a solid full-time job that takes up the rest of my time and pays the bills while I grow the side business. This leaves my iPhone app, which I still believe has great potential, collecting dust.

I listed it for sale and had some nibbles, but I’ve essentially written off the cost of development at this point and thought I might explore another option. I know there are plenty of people on this forum who are looking for the right business idea, so I figured I would see if anyone would want to take over the app/company I built and help it rise from the dead. We would have to figure out some sort of contractual agreement, but I think this could be a really good opportunity if someone finds the app appealing enough to run with it. Read on for a full description of the app itself.

Going out with friends in New York, I found that we constantly struggled to choose where to grab a drink. With literally hundreds of choices, we would fumble around on Yelp or Foursquare and inevitably walk into some random bar hoping we would like it. This was particularly relevant for happy hours or pregames when we didn’t have any plans set in stone. Enter my app, On the House.

At the press of a button the app automatically selects a bar or restaurant nearby that I have partnered with. The user is then offered an incentive (voucher) on the bar’s behalf to entice them to check it out. That incentive is chosen by the bar and can be anything from a free mixed drink to a half price dessert. Managers can also use the incentive to push underperforming or new products.

Built into the app’s backend is a full geo-location system. In order to redeem the incentive that has been offered, the user must be physically standing within the selected venue. The app prompts the user to press a redemption button when standing with their waitress or server, an action that will only work when they are within the confines of a pre-determined geo-fence. Each location’s geo-fence can be manipulated as needed. Current settings limit user’s to one voucher per day, meaning that they can’t use the app to barhop. My monetization strategy was that bars would pay me a fee ($2) for each successful redemption, which could be tracked in real time.

As I mentioned, the app and online management platform are fully built and functional. It could use some tweaks and probably some more dev work after the new iOS came out though. I had a lawyer draw up a simple 3 page contract to partner with bars.

I launched last fall with a beta run of 8 bars and everything worked as planned. I struggled however with the two sided market nature of the app. Users wanted a lot of bars, bars wanted a lot of users. With bars only signed on for a one month trial and basically no marketing strategy (I’ve learned a lot since then) things quickly fizzled out. If someone can solve those problems I see no reason the app can’t be a success.

I don’t know if this post will lead to anything but I thought it was worth a shot, and I would at least like to hear opinions on the app. Mods, please move if this is in the wrong section or let me know if this runs afoul of any forum rules.

Thanks for reading

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
You say you have learned a lot since then as far as marketing.. I don't understand why you're not keeping it. Off the top of my head, maybe try to hire a rep to go market it for you if you don't have time. Make a bigger online presence so bars outside the area will hear about it. Get featured in a wine/beer magazine. Post on a bartender forum. Contact owners through a chamber of commerce or small business meetup. The main thing is you get revenue coming in again and then if you want to sell it you will get more.

blaksol

Possum Trot
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Feb 23, 2014
Forgot one thing.. really sell the exclusivity of the one a day. I have found that works well for ads and seo locally.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
You say you have learned a lot since then as far as marketing.. I don't understand why you're not keeping it. Off the top of my head, maybe try to hire a rep to go market it for you if you don't have time. Make a bigger online presence so bars outside the area will hear about it. Get featured in a wine/beer magazine. Post on a bartender forum. Contact owners through a chamber of commerce or small business meetup. The main thing is you get revenue coming in again and then if you want to sell it you will get more.

Being completely honest the passion for app is just kind of gone. I jumped in head first before really understanding the industry and what I wanted to work on. Things are taking off with my new venture and this has been lost in the shuffle. I reached out to a couple of accelerators last year to see if I could get some money to tweak things and really find market fit, but when that fell through I just kind of moved on without really giving it my all. It sounds like a cop out answer, but I just never saw the project through to fruition. I had some other life events get in the way, but nothing I couldn't overcome and those are really just excuses.

Rcaraway1989

Rob C
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
470%
Mar 16, 2011
Austin, TX
I had a friend who actually owns a restaraunt come up with a very similar idea.

I'm not offering to take on this idea, but I have a few years in app startup experience (and successful apps myself), and thought I'd throw out some suggestions:

1. Use these things http://estimote.com/ << Can track a users exact location -- meaning a bartender could tell exactly where the user was sitting in the bar.

2. I'm respectfully disagreeing with blaksol's suggestion to market it -- instead, find a SINGLE restaurant owner that would be willing to use this, then tailor the app's design to that bar's needs (basically make the app for them). Save money on marketing, and find out what would actually be useful, then scale.

You could do this without spending too much time (Craigslist ad? set aside 30mins-1hr of coldcalling?). You could gather meaningful insight WAY faster, and most importantly, you could figure out if the app is worth any more of your energy.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
This is pretty similar to what Belly Card does. Pretty cool idea, just gotta get into the stores and convince people to take it on.

Harry321

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
May 28, 2014
A really awesome idea but I imagine a never ending job for whoever has to negotiate with the bars. Even if you managed to get the major bars in one city, there are still hundreds of cities to gather.. Obviously incredible in terms of monetisation potential, but unsure how you would achieve this.. Unless I'm missing something ?

Noxtus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jul 27, 2014
Heyyyyy this app is a great idea man! $$$$! i think id be interested in taking over and working with you to get this thing up off the ground. a couple tweaks id like to suggest: make the vouchers redeemable once per bar instead of once per day. 2. instead of making a business deal with every bar individually (cus this would take awhile to make it wide spread) make a dual registration where customers can register for the app and then bars can register for the app also! that way any bar can sign up and you could charge them like you said a 2$ per redeemed voucher or maybe just a monthly thing or maybe even something else. not to mention i bet we could would some ads in there to! let me know what you think man.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
This is pretty similar to what Belly Card does. Pretty cool idea, just gotta get into the stores and convince people to take it on.

Just checked out Belly Card. Looks like they are more loyalty oriented whereas I was going after the discovery market. Solid looking app though.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
A really awesome idea but I imagine a never ending job for whoever has to negotiate with the bars. Even if you managed to get the major bars in one city, there are still hundreds of cities to gather.. Obviously incredible in terms of monetisation potential, but unsure how you would achieve this.. Unless I'm missing something ?

That was my biggest mistake and one I won't make again, underestimating the difficulty of finding and signing up bars. From my experiences meeting with owners, they are often technophobic, hate spending money and are just disinterested in trying new marketing techniques. Groupon and the hundreds of clones that followed also hurt any startup trying to go after bars and restaurants because they bombarded these people with sales pitches and ultimately failed to deliver any real value for many of them.

Heyyyyy this app is a great idea man! $$$$! i think id be interested in taking over and working with you to get this thing up off the ground. a couple tweaks id like to suggest: make the vouchers redeemable once per bar instead of once per day. 2. instead of making a business deal with every bar individually (cus this would take awhile to make it wide spread) make a dual registration where customers can register for the app and then bars can register for the app also! that way any bar can sign up and you could charge them like you said a 2$ per redeemed voucher or maybe just a monthly thing or maybe even something else. not to mention i bet we could would some ads in there to! let me know what you think man.

Can you code? I unfortunately can't which is why things are dead in the water at this point. I just can't invest more money into the project, despite a lot of ideas for how to improve things and even take it in a different direction if necessary.

Noxtus

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
Jul 27, 2014
Can you code? I unfortunately can't which is why things are dead in the water at this point. I just can't invest more money into the project, despite a lot of ideas for how to improve things and even take it in a different direction if necessary.

pfft i wish. i wonder how hard it would be to find someone who can code but is still entry level so they might take credit? q:

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
pfft i wish. i wonder how hard it would be to find someone who can code but is still entry level so they might take credit? q:

Developers dont waste their time with equity. They take on too much risk, and 99 times out of 100 they dont get payed.

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Surprising turn of events today, got an email from an interested investor which turned into a long phone call. We are speaking again in a couple of days to discuss working together to rebuild the app and get things rolling again.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
Surprising turn of events today, got an email from an interested investor which turned into a long phone call. We are speaking again in a couple of days to discuss working together to rebuild the app and get things rolling again.

Thats great news. Did you develop the app with all of your own cash or did you have an investor help? Im tight on cash right now, and im looking for investors, and I dont think these accelerator programs are the way to go. They seem very difficult to get into, and even harder if you don't have any previous tech experience. Would you happen to have any insight on this?

youngtrep

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 30, 2013
Northeast USA
Thats great news. Did you develop the app with all of your own cash or did you have an investor help? Im tight on cash right now, and im looking for investors, and I dont think these accelerator programs are the way to go. They seem very difficult to get into, and even harder if you don't have any previous tech experience. Would you happen to have any insight on this?

I was able to save enough money to pay for the app myself. I tried to be as lean as possible and the total development cost ended up being pretty reasonable. As a one man operation I tried and ultimately failed to gain any kind of seed funding so unfortunately I have very little experience or knowledge in that area. If you can do it, even if it takes longer to get off the ground, I am a fan of bootstrapping.

parkerscott

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Dec 4, 2013
I was able to save enough money to pay for the app myself. I tried to be as lean as possible and the total development cost ended up being pretty reasonable. As a one man operation I tried and ultimately failed to gain any kind of seed funding so unfortunately I have very little experience or knowledge in that area. If you can do it, even if it takes longer to get off the ground, I am a fan of bootstrapping.

Yeah it does seem very hard to get the seed funding. I see so many of these companies getting seed rounds of millions for their analytics platform when there are already thousands. Then a good idea like yours gets overlooked. I talked with my friend and he can have the app ready to go for 15k but i just dont have that amount of cash. I could probably get a loan, but I rather use a little of someone elses money just in case.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.