The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Help Me Analyze This...

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Hi!

I am trying to determine if this is a good deal to pursue or not, using a buy and hold strategy.

12 Units, 1 bedroom each (900-1,000 sq. feet per unit) with English basement.

1 bedroom rents in the area are currently going for $750- $1,000 per month.

Pool of (potential) renters have been identified. Filling the units, and consistently collecting rents will not be a barrier/problem.

The Barack Obama library is coming to the area in 2016, investors are saying its going to increase property values.

Owner, who inherited, and owns free and clear is going to aski $125,000 on the MLS.

There are potential options to use Private Money (not to be confused with Hard Money Lending money.) or Seller Financing.
Which option of financing is more beneficial/economical? Any reason why?

*There is already a great rapport with the Owner. The owner does not want to own/manage/or deal with this property. Just wants to get rid of it due to lack of time, and no interest in rehabbing the building in order to become a landlord. (Pain points?)

Q: What should the terms be using private money? 10% (or less) interest rate. Sharing ___% of profits.??

A buyer should pay: 65 to 70% of after repair value, minus rehab costs... or purchase for 60% if it's in the rougher areas. (Is this strategy only for flipping properties, or is it applicable to buy and hold as well?)

The property is on the South side of Chicago, Illinois in an area I would classify as "Rough" or C/D level, but there is a lot of rehab and new construction going on in the area currently.

The building needs to be fully gut rehabbed. I'm wondering about the approximate total costs for this?

Half of the building can be rehabbed at a time...6 and 6...to build up capital.

Lots of electrical and plumbing work needs to be done.
*The heating system is old, where there is no individualized furnace/ thermostat in each unit...That will need to be put in place.

The intercom system/bells/buzzer needs to be replaced.

The building does have a new roof, and new windows already.

There is also gated parking in back of the building...Not sure it can accommodate 12 cars.

1. What is the cap rate that investors look for regarding Chicago rentals? Is this monthly rent rates X 84= value?

2. For a "basic" rehab, using black appliances, standard carpet, cabinets, etc. do these numbers look right?
Paint - $1200
Carpet - $4.50 per square foot of room
Tile - $8 per square foot of room
Cabinets - $170 per lineal foot for lowers, $150 per lineal foot for uppers
Counter top - $35-65 per square foot of counter
*The units have hard wood floors that are in good shape, but need to be stained and rebuffed, or whatever you do to them to make them look new again...
Trying to determine estimate for rehabbing each 1000 sq foot unit?

3. What is the best way to structure the deal if you wanted to do seller financing? 10% interest? How do you determine how much for down payment if using seller financing?
Pay owner a set monthly payment for X years, and then pay off the balance by X years? What are reasonable/ good terms?
- Is using seller financing more beneficial than using private money?

4. Will points and origination fees be excluded from this transaction if using private money and or seller financing?

Would you go for this deal if you could finance it and rehab it?

Any advice/ insight/ input?

@SteveO
@biophase
@G_Alexander
@CashFlowDepot
@JScott

@ Others?

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
This sounds very cheap. The wildcard is the fact that it is in a bad area. But the cost per unit and the decent rents make it sound like an incredibly fantastic deal.

It is always difficult to evaluate a deal without knowing anything about the location. I know nothing about the Chicago area. Plus the repairs are such a big part of the picture. It is not possible to tell you anything about repairs and upgrades without actually doing an inspection.

I have found that being able to do repairs quickly and efficiently will give anyone an incredible advantage. If you can do 100K in repairs for 60K, that can be like making 40K. Your prices are very high. I can paint for less than $400 including labor. I get tile done for $2.50 plus the cost of materials (about $4 per square foot). I don't know the cost per sq foot for counters but can install home depot crap for around $300/kitchen or have them done in granite for around $800.

Not everyone can get these prices though. It comes with a lot of connections and shopping.

Seller financing will not cost you points. 10% plus 2 points sounds about right for private money. You will need a down payment though. It is not hard to negotiate better terms if the deal is really good.

Do you have the ability to put 30-40% down?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.