The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Have a job interview tomorrow.. Tips? (16 Yearold)

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Hey,

I know what you're thinking, this isn't fastlane at all but I'm currently 16 years old and have a lot of free time. I am actively working on a few different business ventures and will still have more then enough time to keep working on them while working this job.

I applied for a job at a retail store and they called me and told me to come in tomorrow for an interview. Do you guys/girls have any tips to lock this down and get the job for sure?

I'm not sure if I should mention my entrepreneurial ventures to impress them as it's not really relevant to the job position.

Again, do you guys/girls have any tips for me that would help?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Ok, so you have a really good chance of getting the job.

Simply dressing up nice will put you ahead of probably 40% of the candidates. If you have some nice dress shoes, dress pants, shirt and tie; put them on.

Then, put together a resume if you don't have one. Basically, it will be a way to showcase why they need to choose you. If you don't have one, it may be too late to put together something nice, better nothing then something crappy.

Bring a notepad with you, and before the interview write down some questions you have. Ask about potential opportunities, whats the biggest upside/downside, etc. Think about some things that you actually want to ask. This will mean that you prepared for the interview, and they will appreciate that.

Ask a couple loaded questions that aren't really questions, such as; "I think customer service is probably one of the most important traits that a business needs to succeed. How do you guys view customer service at XXXX?" NO ONE says customer service is bad, so you basically qualify yourself as soon as they answer the question.

Then, just be yourself. Don't stress out or worry. Just relax, smile a lot, tell a few lame jokes, basically show them you are a friendly dude with a head on his shoulders. Do that and you will get the job.

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
Are you somewhat invested in getting that job?
If your answer is no, I suggest trolling them a little.
"Where do you see your company in 5 years?"
"What do you think are the biggest aspirations of [company]?"

Turn it around and make THEM qualify themselves to you ;-)

G

Guest24480

They'll most likely ask you why you want to work there, what some of your strengths and weaknesses are, and they'll discuss the job and the work environment with you a little. And then open it up to your questions.

Nothing too drastic, so don't worry about it.

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Are you somewhat invested in getting that job?
If your answer is no, I suggest trolling them a little.
"Where do you see your company in 5 years?"
"What do you think are the biggest aspirations of [company]?"

Turn it around and make THEM qualify themselves to you ;-)

It's already a national company and I just applied to be a cashier so that probably wouldn't work. Plus I'm pretty set on getting this job.

DrJake

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 21, 2014
Shreveport, Lousiana
It's a cashier job so you'll be okay. It's really not tough at all. Just wear a shirt, don't wear a tie they'll probably think you're a weirdo.

Act natural, look them in the eye and don't say any mumbo jumbo. As long as you're semi-intelligent, which you are, you'll get the job.

Also, if you're ever in the situation where you're short on time and need to cut down hours, don't hesitate one second to ask. I've had the same situation and they should be happy to cut your hours for school *cough* business *cough*, if they're good employers.

Way to go on the interview man. I'm working as a cashier now and this'll give you a good insight on what you will want to avoid doing your whole life.

Yasai

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 26, 2014
It's already a national company and I just applied to be a cashier so that probably wouldn't work.

Actually that would make it even funnier haha.
My suggestion was tongue-in-cheek btw. Personally I can't take job interviews seriously ;-P
But if it's something you wanna do, go for it.
Look good, answer in a professional manner and all that jazz.

sle3pyguii

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Aug 19, 2012
I'm not sure if this applies for a retail position, but interviews I tend to go in with the mindset of "I don't really need this job", even if I need it.

It calms me down A LOT and I don't get overly nervous or anxious.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do well!

AlterJoule

Busy Working.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
Aug 7, 2014
Ask them what they dislike most or would most like to change about the company. That was always a fun one to use. Really got them thinking. Shows you are unique. Makes them sweat a little and puts the pressure off of you. Have fun.

Last edited:

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Over the course of my career, I've performed 100's of interviews. Stress your desire / willingness to learn. I'm guessing they will give you a "bad customer" scenario - what would you do if a customer shows a fake discount or something along those lines? Answer: follow the company policy and contact my supervisor if that doesn't work. Another possible question: where do you want to be in 5 yrs? Answer: I want to continue to learn and grow with the company.

Also, I always took interviewees on a tour of the plant. I'd walk fast on purpose and if I had to slow down to accommodate them - my mind was made up - no hire.

Good question for you to ask - what metrics are used to evaluate my performance (in other words - at the end of my shift, how do I know if I performed well or poor).

Dress nice, speak clearly, and be excited. Do not memorize / script your answers. Relax, be cool and it's a lock.

Risk

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Oct 24, 2014
13035.jpg
Get the tux out. Haha nah man just be a friendly, motivated guy and you'll be fine. And don't whip out that damn phone of course;).

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
- Firm Handshake
- A suit (I don't even know why people question this one)
- Smile a lot
- Head up, be confident, look them in the eyes, don't slouch or look bored or lackadaisical.
- Have an intelligent question or two
- Be EXTREMELY friendly and personable. They are hiring a co-worker they have to work with daily as much as they are hiring a worker to do a task.

I've never failed to have a fantastic interview with the above advice in mind. It's a low bar to step over but you'll be ahead of 75% of your competition this way. People hire people they like. Give them no reason for pause and you'll be in the running.

This is more difficult but I personally have great luck responding to questions that snap them out of "routine interview going through the motions" mode. Like questioning their use of the "your biggest weakness" question for example. Don't do this if you aren't quick on your feet and able to work a conversation.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Interviews when your young is tough, but they are prob hiring for the xmas rush so dont worry too much.

I would wear a shirt but no suit, I agree you will look like a weirdo or they think your on your way to a funeral after lol

I dont think they will ask you shitty questions like what are your strengths and weaknesses, but you never know so be prepared for it.
Everyone responds to the weakness question with "My biggest weakness is I work too hard" or "Im too much of a perfectionist" which is bullshit answers really. Maybe a good answer would be "I cant say no to people".

Shame you cant get a sales job, have you tried for any?

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Interviews when your young is tough, but they are prob hiring for the xmas rush so dont worry too much.

I would wear a shirt but no suit, I agree you will look like a weirdo or they think your on your way to a funeral after lol

I dont think they will ask you shitty questions like what are your strengths and weaknesses, but you never know so be prepared for it.
Everyone responds to the weakness question with "My biggest weakness is I work too hard" or "Im too much of a perfectionist" which is bullshit answers really. Maybe a good answer would be "I cant say no to people".

Shame you cant get a sales job, have you tried for any?

Haven't really tried, I am only 16 so a sales position would be hard for a first job.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Be different. Study up on and understand the pain points of who will be interviewing you. Ask how you can help the store the most. Offer to work crazy shifts, etc. to 'get the experience'. Ask about displays and plans they have for the Christmas rush.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
1. Guarantee them you will be the hardest working employee they have ever hired and then

2. Be the hardest working employee they have ever hired

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Hutch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 30, 2014
Follow what LibertyForMe said alone and you will do just fine for the rest of your life's job interviews, nevermind just this one.

Dressing and grooming yourself as a professional is such a rare thing nowadays when it simply shouldn't be. The fact that many men don't respect themselves or work itself is a sad reality in this country as of late. Similar to getting girls, it really only takes knowing yourself well, presenting yourself in a professional and courteous manner, and being a well-rounded individual to be better than 90% of the guys out there. I know it's only a cashier job, but no matter what work you do from here on out -- do it with pride. Even if it's something you don't like, or you're at a place in your life where you wish you weren't; performing your job with pride emanates character - a trait that a lot of people lack. Good luck on your interview!

SYK

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Mar 24, 2014
100-page PowerPoint presentation detailing North American economic trends and their future impact on the company.

Then segue into the corporate restructure you have devised that will safeguard the company in these testing economic times. Delicately explain the restructure will come with layoffs and slide a folder of staff profiles you have identified to go. Perhaps include the interviewer in the dossier to really shake things up

Now to the the shareholder buy-back scheme... a generous $6 a share to immediately boost share price by limiting availability while warding off potential take over threats you have identified.

From there it's just a matter of shaking hands and asking them what time they want you in on Monday.

*Alternatively: dress well, maintain eye contact, research the company, ask questions that convey interest/knowledge, and be conscious of your body language.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Smile and relax. If they like you that's 70%, if they think you can do the job that's the other 30%. Dressing well and what to wear comes under both, get the balance right

johnp

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Aug 29, 2011
Philly
Also, I always took interviewees on a tour of the plant. I'd walk fast on purpose and if I had to slow down to accommodate them - my mind was made up - no hire.

I don't understand this. I have worked with recruiters around the world and this is not the first time that I have heard of something like this. As a business owner, the idea of possibly taking the best candidate out of a talent pool simply because they didn't keep up during a walk is sickening...it seems more like a narrow minded HR power trip. But I'm not in HR, so maybe there is something to that method???

I'm not trying to be an a**hole or anything...I think you provided some great advice.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
I don't understand this. I have worked with recruiters around the world and this is not the first time that I have heard of something like this. As a business owner, the idea of possibly taking the best candidate out of a talent pool simply because they didn't keep up during a walk is sickening...it seems more like a narrow minded HR power trip. But I'm not in HR, so maybe there is something to that method???

I'm not trying to be an a**hole or anything...I think you provided some great advice.

It's a legit question. I have never been employed as an HR associate. Always production or quality. My walks weren't very fast but brisk. Not one time, did a candidate not keep up and I thought to myself: "Wow -they did everything else right but they just couldn't walk with me". The walk - I think - was just a confirmation of the other things I learned from the individual. And in all honesty, I've qualified the walker as lazy prior to the walk - them not keeping up confirms it. How? A lot of these interviews were 4 - 5 of us at different times. We would then meet and discuss our thoughts. I would state I thought the individual lacked gumption or passion or was lazy. Others agreed with that opinion.
To put this in perspective, I may be talking about a total of 10 - 15 folks out of several 100's that were interviewed.

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
I agree with @KLaw slow walk means that they do everything slow, take 5 mins to go to the toilet, take double the time to finish that little task etc They may be lazy but they are definately slow, and slow loses you dollars.

To the OP, You 16 so I dont know what kind of haircut you got going on nowadays but if you have that haircut that covers your eyes and you have to keep flipping your head every 30 seconds then I suggest a nice short cut.

Last edited:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada

I'm adamant that this is terrible advice.

From fast food to silicon valley an interview is still a business meeting. Dress like a professional. The attire of the workforce is unrelated and irrelevant.

Not to mention that a suit looks great in almost any situation even outside of a business environment. At the bar, at a casual family event, walking around, whatever - they just look good.

The only time you can ever be overdressed in a suit is at the beach (unless that's where your interview is, then wear a suit).

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
As a business owner, the idea of possibly taking the best candidate out of a talent pool simply because they didn't keep up during a walk is sickening...

Body language and behavior is an EXCELLENT indicator of personality, attitude, confidence, etc... How you move is a reflection of how you think and behave.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you will rarely find that the best candidate is the slow one who slouches in their chair and consistently looks bored. I'd sooner take my chances on the upright fellow with almost a half-sprint in every step they take with the huge smile on their face. Even if they aren't the smartest person in the room they are almost certainly ready, willing and eager to do whatever it takes without complaint.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.