The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Greetings With A Side Of Poll

Stay with current job or move on?

• Stay dummy!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Should have left yesterday!

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
Good day everyone!

Nice to become a member of the community. I'll start my first thread as a poll. I am technology consultant that works with the ERP software SAP. I have been with my current company since I graduated back in 2012. Here is where the poll comes in. I travel a lot for my job and the clients pay for most of my living expenses while I am on site. This means that I have pretty much lived expense free for a little over 2 years Monday - Thursday. That has allowed me to save up a decent amount of money that I can use to jump start my business. The current project I am on is pretty slow except for the occasional "oh shit things are really busy" days. That has allowed me to focus some decent amount of time on my business during work hours. I have recently hired a part time employee who has a lot of expertise in the area of my startup. I was contacted last week by another company that needs my area of expertise for a project. They are offering me a 25% pay increase and I can continue to live nearly expense free. I am entertaining the idea pretty seriously because that extra income is basically equal to what I am paying my employee. This would be great because it leaves me with more cash for my business as opposed to my current job. However, the hours will be longer at the new company and I will not have as much free time to invest in my business.

Do you guys think the extra cash being offered by the new company is justifiable even though I am losing some "time?" Also, there is no guarantee that my current employer won't move me to another client that will have me just as busy. I think I have my answer but would love to hear what the Fastlane has to say.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Good day everyone!

Nice to become a member of the community. I'll start my first thread as a poll. I am technology consultant that works with the ERP software SAP. I have been with my current company since I graduated back in 2012. Here is where the poll comes in. I travel a lot for my job and the clients pay for most of my living expenses while I am on site. This means that I have pretty much lived expense free for a little over 2 years Monday - Thursday. That has allowed me to save up a decent amount of money that I can use to jump start my business. The current project I am on is pretty slow except for the occasional "oh shit things are really busy" days. That has allowed me to focus some decent amount of time on my business during work hours. I have recently hired a part time employee who has a lot of expertise in the area of my startup. I was contacted last week by another company that needs my area of expertise for a project. They are offering me a 25% pay increase and I can continue to live nearly expense free. I am entertaining the idea pretty seriously because that extra income is basically equal to what I am paying my employee. This would be great because it leaves me with more cash for my business as opposed to my current job. However, the hours will be longer at the new company and I will not have as much free time to invest in my business.

Do you guys think the extra cash being offered by the new company is justifiable even though I am losing some "time?" Also, there is no guarantee that my current employer won't move me to another client that will have me just as busy. I think I have my answer but would love to hear what the Fastlane has to say.
My time is worth more to me than my money. I spend money to save time.

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
Just to clarify, I am not looking to Fastlane to make the decision for me. I'm a big boy and ultimately the decision rest with me and me alone. However, as I respect the opinions of contributors to this forum I felt it was prudent to seek council from those that have been around.

It was my hope that the thread would spark a discussion and uncover possible angles that escaped my notice.

That being said, if this is a rehashed or tired theme I can request that the mods delete the thread.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
how long is your current project going to last, and how does that dovetail with your business plans?

if you can keep your free time, it's worth way more than the 25% extra. far far more, if you are really able to utilize it.

GrensonMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Oct 13, 2014
Texas
Hey @TedM

Thanks for the response. I ended up making my decision last week. After weighing all the options, I chose the company that was offering the 25% increase. The reason I made that choice was because I felt that I could still dedicate a good chunk of time during the day to my business and since the majority of the work is related to coordinating with overseas manufacturers, my evenings will mostly be free whether I stayed with my current employer or left for the new company. This way I can enjoy the benefits of the pay increase while still utilizing the time difference.

Thank you for weighing in.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.